Shark visited Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zoomzx11

From the video on the shark on the beach it appears to be a Mako.
While I do not "love" sharks in general they have their place and purpose.
Mako sharks are one of the fastest fish in the sea and I think they are the most beautiful of all the shark species.
To see one within miles of Sosua Beach is a shockingly abnormal event.
Mako sharks feed on swordfish and are delicious.
A small Mako like this one would fetch near swordfish prices in the US.
Average diner could not tell Mako from swordfish. Both are a delicacy.

A

AlterEgo

The shark died

computer translated:

Santo Domingo
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources reported that the Mako or shortfin shark found on Wednesday at a beach in Sosua, Puerto Plata, was found dead on the reef.

"We are informed that the shark that was returned to its habitat yesterday (Wednesday) was found dead near the reef of the canyon, on Sosúa beach," the institution reported.

They explain that the marine animal was injured when it reached the coast and that situation could have caused disorientation, so instead of going to its habitat, it reached the shore of the beach.

Technicians of the Ministry of the Environment, personnel in charge of monitoring and preservation of the coastal resources of the Ecological Foundation Maguá and volunteers of diving centers, yesterday avoided the capture by yorals of the Shark and proceeded to take the marine animal to the outside of the bay to get out and prevent it from running aground.

In the same way, the capture of this shark went viral through social networks where the animal was observed on the shore of the beach, tied by a rope, while dozens of people watched and recorded the scene.

https://listindiario.com/la-republi...uere-tiburon-encontrado-en-una-playa-en-sosua

U

Uzin

Finally, the only good thing that came of this story, a dead shark.... (I just hope it was not wasted and ended up on a dinner plate.)

This single shark sighting will do more damage to Sosua image than all the hookers, killings, muggings and robberies combined, I doubt any parent, Dominican or otherwise, would let their kid in water with all those Facebook videos, unless they haven't hear of it... Maybe it will be forgotten, soon I hope, it's low season thankfully.

And no, I don't think anyone cares or has enough patience to first check these ferocious creatures for type, and maybe ask them "so tell me, what kind of shark are you, will you take my leg or arm, or whole of me for dinner today ... !?"

Unfortunately with all the obsessive conservation going on their numbers are increasing and they will become more of a problem, already in Australia there have been more attacks than all of last year, that's the ones we hear about it, loads more going unreported, suppressed, classified as provoked, or considered near misses, so no report. If there ever was a bigger conspiracy there is this about sharks and their sympathizers.

I am amazed of logic about comparing cows with sharks or give all the stupid accident stats as oppose to shark attacks. Accidents are undesired and unwanted incidents, no one drives out to run over someone deliberately, but there is nothing incidental or accidental about a shark chasing a surfer and tear him apart. It is systematic and perfectly intentional by these predators, no wonder they call them perfect killing machines, and we are suppose to like them, no way... !

L

LTSteve

Saw a video on facebook just now....there was a shark swimming around Sosua beach this evening....fin and all.

Fins to the left, fins to the right........... there has always been a feeding frenzy in Sosua!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

ROLLOUT

I will agree with you there....but I think that this is more down to ignorance than stupidity. Anyone willing death to such a beautiful creature should just be educated on the necessity for the eco system and they keep populations of other fish healthy. You know, Sosua bay is infested with deadly lion fish which is destroying the coral reef, which unfortunately are not eaten by sharks but I would be much more worried about a lion fish than one shark. In Cuba they have actually been training the wild sharks to eat the lion fish. Of course, nobody wants to see the bay of Sosua overcome with sharks and it has not happened in the past and I don't believe it would happen anytime soon.

How the hell does THAT happen??

L

london777

... probably last nail in the coffin for Sosua. Who is going to swim or snorkel in shark infested waters.... ! What else that town has to offer... ?
You really don't know?

R

ramesses

Sharks are a sign of a healthy reef. I guess a dead reef is better than a chance of a shark near shore. smh

W

william webster

Sharks are a reflexive reaction of a sort

Same way many here knee jerk residency

L

ljmesg

Trivia:

Q: What time of day is most common for shark attacks?

A: The time of day when people are usually in the water[emoji16]

Fact.

P

Peterj

Trivia:

Q: What time of day is most common for shark attacks?

A: The time of day when people are usually in the water[emoji16]

Fact.

...and the sharks also...:bunny::classic::cool::laugh:

D

davetuna

bit of education needed here. clearly the shark was already in distress. maybe been hooked already, who knows. but the treatment of him by those guys is disgraceful. totally hysterical.

G

Gadfly

One shark ? Big friggin deal ! I PAID $ to snorkel with black fin sharks in Tahiti. Some people are uneducated

Status
Not open for further replies.