Shooting in Zona Colonial

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I guess some people are just stronger than others and don't need to run away. Take the benefits at its worth and disconnect from the annoyance, do your best to get along in your surroundings. Is that not what life is about in general, no matter where you are.

Why do you think that's running away?

If you can find a place that can give you a good life and not have to complain everyday, every year, isn't that... SMART?

May 29, 2006
Don't the cops kill something like 200+ people a year in the DR? It's not like they're going to lose their job or fat pension over killing someone..
The trigger-happy nature of US cops was perhaps best epitomized in the controversial 2001 Bruce Springsteen song "American Skin (41 Shots)." The song recounts the 1999 shooting death of an unarmed 23-year-old Guinean immigrant in New York City. The victim, Amadou Diallo, as the song title alludes, was shot 41 times by four plain-clothed police officers outside of his apartment. And Diallo's case is anything but anomalous in today's America.

Last month, Los Angeles Police killed a 19-year-old man after unloading over 90 shots on him following a high-speed chase down an area freeway. The same month, New York police fired at a suspected murderer 84 times. While the man was wounded, ?the punk incredibly survived,? the New York Post reports.

85 shots: US cops use more ammo per man than Germans per year ? RT USA

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess some people are just stronger than others and don't need to run away. Take the benefits at its worth and disconnect from the annoyance, do your best to get along in your surroundings. Is that not what life is about in general, no matter where you are.

if you are at a point wherein you believe that the only way to make the Dominican Republic inhabitable is to expunge the Dominicans, then you have not successfully disconnected from the annoyances.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think many posters here do not realize what's the game in DR. the police follow orders. and quite often the order is to kill. sometimes, if they feel generous, only to cripple. policemen know what they are doing. they know drug dealers, thieves and other criminals in their area. sometimes they kill because it starts to get annoying that so few do any time for their crimes. it's like that dude who was shot in a leg in my area and had it amputated. police have known him for years. he had plenty of warnings.

police kills criminals in DR on regular basis. very few even face consequences. mostly it's very simple. don't step on the wrong side of the law. don't play if you can't pay. and criminals kill cops as well, also on regular basis. no wonder police is quick to draw a gun.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
i think many posters here do not realize what's the game in DR. the police follow orders. and quite often the order is to kill. sometimes, if they feel generous, only to cripple. policemen know what they are doing. they know drug dealers, thieves and other criminals in their area. sometimes they kill because it starts to get annoying that so few do any time for their crimes. it's like that dude who was shot in a leg in my area and had it amputated. police have known him for years. he had plenty of warnings.

police kills criminals in DR on regular basis. very few even face consequences. mostly it's very simple. don't step on the wrong side of the law. don't play if you can't pay. and criminals kill cops as well, also on regular basis. no wonder police is quick to draw a gun.

You got it right dv8. My wife is Dominican and she just said the same thing. If you are a pain in the ass
criminal, there is a good chance that you got one of two warning shots in the leg or ass over the years. If you keep getting on the cops nerves, you will get your brains blown out all over the street.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the pharmacy we had this client, young guy in his twenties with colostomy bag. i felt sorry for him. so young, damn. and then i was told he was a small try drug dealer who got police a bit pi**ed off and they put a bullet in his stomach. not so sorry anymore.

dominican justice. that's all.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Back on topic, if they shot all violent robbers and dug dealers ( and corrupt politicians if possible ), I d be the first to applaud. But a guy who robs a bakery ( we dont know much about the story ) seems a bit extreme and a bit easy.....

. easy enough to shoot a poor guy dumb enough to rob a bakery, but the big drug lords and gang members ( not to say the corrupt politicians ), can sleep easy. The PN will not go after them, they are either payed off or to scared to go after criminals that actually fight back...........

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You got it right dv8. My wife is Dominican and she just said the same thing. If you are a pain in the ass
criminal, there is a good chance that you got one of two warning shots in the leg or ass over the years. If you keep getting on the cops nerves, you will get your brains blown out all over the street.

Dude!! What kind of world is that???? If you get on the cops nerves they have a right to end a person's life. Who made a LOWEST form of law enforcement a "beat cop" the judge, jury, and executioner. In my dealing with cops in all sorts of places San Jose, NYC, DC, San Juan, Chicago, Atlanta, Panama City etc they are not that bright. When you allow a street cop to think that is when you have brains on the streets for a crime as PETTY as stealing something from a bakery NOT bank or banca but a bakery.

If some of you do not mind living in a place where the police can execute a man without due process I feel really really sorry for you. The LAST people in the world you will want to give this kind of power to is a police force in a 3rd world country. Some of these guys do not have money to buy a bag of Doritos, yet they have the power and the support of so many people in DR for killing a man in the streets when deadly force is not needed.

Homes look like fortresses and army bases, cars and suv's look like blacked out drug dealers cars, shotguns used to guard ATMs, GUNS everywhere, strife and envy replaces love and respect, etc.

If this happened in Oklahoma this would be terrible but in Santo Domingo it is as normal as shouting down the power when a big storm is coming.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Why do you think that's running away?

If you can find a place that can give you a good life and not have to complain everyday, every year, isn't that... SMART?

Why? Because no matter how you want to dress it up, leaving responsibility behind in the face of an annoyance is running away. And where do you get the idea I complain every day, every year, that is you saying this not me. I have made a statement on DR1 on a Friday, this hardly constitutes spending my life worrying about what I don't like or can't be bothered with.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
if you are at a point wherein you believe that the only way to make the Dominican Republic inhabitable is to expunge the Dominicans, then you have not successfully disconnected from the annoyances.

I disagree, you are saying that and have no clue how I present myself and go about my life. I go to work and interact with Dominicans every day, my partner is dominican, I live in an area where there are zero expats. If I couldn't deal with it then I would care about it much more than I do. It's not clever to try to tell others how they live, should react, integrate or not or the kind of lifestyle they should live. You people speak of how great the diversity of people here are yet are in the same breath incapable of accepting another's opinions and lifestyle. I am aware you do it for the sakes of an argument, but it is a weak argument and really not worth it as I've lived here long enough and in an environment I create to make my life as best I can with what I have to work with. Like I say again, people with the idea others should leave because they feel different are to me, simply living a different life with different priorities.
Your statement above is jibberish, and I feel you know that.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I thought the way to make the Dominican Republic habitable is to expel all the Haitians. Now I am very confused. But I suppose that is a different thread.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Why? Because no matter how you want to dress it up, leaving responsibility behind in the face of an annoyance is running away. And where do you get the idea I complain every day, every year, that is you saying this not me. I have made a statement on DR1 on a Friday, this hardly constitutes spending my life worrying about what I don't like or can't be bothered with.

The first part was addressed to you, the second part about complaining everyday was for the people whom post mainly negative things after being here 5+ years. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also I wasn't referring to leaving responsibilities. I was talking about making choices and dealing, or changing them if you don't like the current arrangements. What's worst than annoying crying child..an annoying crying adult.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
The first part was addressed to you, the second part about complaining everyday was for the people whom post mainly negative things after being here 5+ years. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also I wasn't referring to leaving responsibilities. I was talking about making choices and dealing, or changing them if you don't like the current arrangements. What's worst than annoying crying child..an annoying crying adult.

I'm not sure I get half of your post, how you can leave and stay at the same time, maybe a vacation lifestyle some people are lucky enough to have.
I agree entirely with the second bit. I hear whining Dominicans constantly, day in day out about the state of their lives and this country, yes it is extremely annoying. I hear expats whining on here day in day out.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I'm not sure I get half of your post, how you can leave and stay at the same time, maybe a vacation lifestyle some people are lucky enough to have.
I agree entirely with the second bit. I hear whining Dominicans constantly, day in day out about the state of their lives and this country, yes it is extremely annoying. I hear expats whining on here day in day out.

The point I was trying to make is that being here for business, pleasure or whatever reason is one that a person makes. You can always change that. Why people don't change their lives for the better ( that is different from person to person), only they can answer if they are truthful with themselves.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I disagree, you are saying that and have no clue how I present myself and go about my life. I go to work and interact with Dominicans every day, my partner is dominican, I live in an area where there are zero expats. If I couldn't deal with it then I would care about it much more than I do. It's not clever to try to tell others how they live, should react, integrate or not or the kind of lifestyle they should live. You people speak of how great the diversity of people here are yet are in the same breath incapable of accepting another's opinions and lifestyle. I am aware you do it for the sakes of an argument, but it is a weak argument and really not worth it as I've lived here long enough and in an environment I create to make my life as best I can with what I have to work with. Like I say again, people with the idea others should leave because they feel different are to me, simply living a different life with different priorities.
Your statement above is jibberish, and I feel you know that.

let me try this again. YOU are the one who said that the way forward for the DR would be to eliminate the Dominicans. go read your posting again. any response which suggests that you are in the wrong country, if those are your sentiments, cannot be gibberish. what do you plan to do? reincarnate Penn and Venables, and recolonize the country with superior beings like yourself?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
The point I was trying to make is that being here for business, pleasure or whatever reason is one that a person makes. You can always change that. Why people don't change their lives for the better ( that is different from person to person), only they can answer if they are truthful with themselves.

There are certain personal circumstances that make changing things very difficult if you are a decent responsible person, like kids for example. Yes I know people abandon their kids here, or become tourist daddies, but to me these people have their moral priorities a little mixed up, or are selfish or even more common, simply irresponsible. There are so many more reasons, people find love, have business with a partner who will not leave etc etc etc. so much the narrow mind does not consider.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
There are certain personal circumstances that make changing things very difficult if you are a decent responsible person, like kids for example. Yes I know people abandon their kids here, or become tourist daddies, but to me these people have their moral priorities a little mixed up, or are selfish or even more common, simply irresponsible. There are so many more reasons, people find love, have business with a partner who will not leave etc etc etc. so much the narrow mind does not consider.

Yes changing your life is difficult but don't use that as an excuse to wallow in the mire. Or better yet think long and hard before you make life changing events, such as falling in love, starting a business, having kids in a foreign country.

A narrow mind and short sightless does not go well together.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
And as for leaving if I am no fan of Dominicans? Well, I don't have to like all the people live here. The reality if you took the Doms out of the republic it would be a much much better place to live and go about business and enjoying life.

This is exactly what I said, and I stand by it as the only people making things a mess are Dominicans. Living here with a more intelligent, kind spirited selfless people would be nicer than it is at present, what is wrong with that. I didn't mention killing anyone as has been mentioned, I know you like a childish bicker but stop trying too hard here, it is evident what my opinion is and so there is no argument, you have your ideas of who is responsible for the mess here and I have mine. I couldn't give a toss what your opinion is and so why the obsession to as for justification for mine. I've been here too long to allow naive minds to sway my opinions of the country and it's people. There are always going to be Dominicans in the Dominican Republic, so what is your issue here, or do you figure I have a plan to be rid of them all? Get over it ffs, mind your life and I'll mind mine.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Yes changing your life is difficult but don't use that as an excuse to wallow in the mire. Or better yet think long and hard before you make life changing events, such as falling in love, starting a business, having kids in a foreign country.

A narrow mind and short sightless does not go well together.

You avoid the point because it doesn't suit your argument, if you can't accept things then leave them alone, on DR1 or in the DR. Is better to silence yourself than begin to chat jibberish. I am happy you have no issues with this country, keep it up and your life should be very nice, I accept your blinkers, so please accept I took mine off a long long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.