Should I leave the USA to attend college and commence a life in the DR?

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Not saying its so. But seems like alot of posters here (once again I'm new, so I most likely am wrong) don't think it's a good idea to move to DR if you just want to be happy. I DO agree with them by saying, it will be hard as hell maybe, but if you want it...you'll do just fine. Just do everything right. *goes back to convincing wife to move*

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get your education in USA first, then save up some cash. Now you have all these years to think what you can do in DR, once you move here. Try to have a business going that can generate some cash. You can move down here once you are closer to 30. Do not get married and don't have kids yet. No falling in love with any girl. Keep your options open. Do not get trapped in USA. Just think, you are there to get education and then you will return to DR. With this midset, you will make the transition very easy. meanwhile, do your research and make plans to move here. You have all these years ahead of you to make a good plan.
AZB

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Yeah def get the education here if anything. Will help you if you stay here or there, not if you get Ed. in DR.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
There are numerous Dominicans who would love to have the opportunities that you don't seem to appreciate.
Yes I know. I would understand more than anyone; I see it in my own family. It seems as if everyone over there wants to come here, and people from here want to go over there. We all want what we can't have. Should I put my happiness on hold and take advantage of the opportunity that I was given to be here? I know that many people over there would kill to have the opportunities that I have, and here I am willing to throw it all away. That's another thing. My parents were the first to come here, with no money, no job, no home, so that my brothers and I could actually strive to have a future. So I actually have a choice, and I'm so torn in between.

And I think you mentioned that I was a gringa? Actually, I'm native born and know the language and customs thoroughly.

Last edited:

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
get your education in USA first, then save up some cash. Now you have all these years to think what you can do in DR, once you move here. Try to have a business going that can generate some cash. You can move down here once you are closer to 30. Do not get married and don't have kids yet. No falling in love with any girl. Keep your options open. Do not get trapped in USA. Just think, you are there to get education and then you will return to DR. With this midset, you will make the transition very easy. meanwhile, do your research and make plans to move here. You have all these years ahead of you to make a good plan.
AZB

Something easier to relate to, I guess. But I wouldn't want to wait so much. Oh well, I know I can't have it all. You're right about the business ideas. If I do want to live well, I'd have to make cash productively. A business sounds like the best way to go.

And I thought I'd let you know that I'm a female ... so I won't fall in love with
any girls regardless. :) I would fall in love with a guy, but you're right to warn me that that's not the best thing that could happen.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Something easier to relate to, I guess. But I wouldn't want to wait so much. Oh well, I know I can't have it all. You're right about the business ideas. If I do want to live well, I'd have to make cash productively. A business sounds like the best way to go.

And I thought I'd let you know that I'm a female ... so I won't fall in love with
any girls regardless. :) I would fall in love with a guy, but you're right to warn me that that's not the best thing that could happen.

I knew it. I was just waiting for it to come out.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.........:cross-eye

What is his name?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Yes I know. I would understand more than anyone; I see it in my own family. It seems as if everyone over there wants to come here, and people from here want to go over there. We all want what we can't have. Should I put my happiness on hold and take advantage of the opportunity that I was given to be here? I know that many people over there would kill to have the opportunities that I have, and here I am willing to throw it all away. That's another thing. My parents were the first to come here, with no money, no job, no home, so that my brothers and I could actually strive to have a future. So I actually have a choice, and I'm so torn in between.
What is the rush? Isn't that a tad selfish?
What's wrong with getting an education and getting a job and saving some money and helping out your parents and relatives?
And I think you mentioned that I was a gringa? Actually, I'm native born and know the language and customs thoroughly.
No, I did not mention this.
My point was that some Dominicans are willing to do some very unpleasant things with very undesirable gringos and gringas in order to try to obtain the opportunities which you have been given.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
First it doesn't take that long to pay off your college loans. Depending on what school you go to and what career you end up choosing you could pay off the loan in about 10yrs. I paid mine off in 8yrs.

Another option is to work for a company that has offices globally. That may give you the opportunity to have your U.S. wages while working in the D.R. I worked for my company in Japan for a couple of yrs and now I work from home. If I wanted, I could work out of the DR.

So, finish college here in the U.S. and then find a good job that will let you work from the DR. Good luck!

Yes, I was over-exaggerating when I said that I'd have to work my entire life to pay off the loan, but when you mentioned 10 years that's exactly what I meant. I don't know, maybe I'm totally clueless on how long it normally takes to pay off student loans, but to me, it already seems like a waste of ten years. Ten years that I couldv'e enjoyed in the DR. I do like your idea of working for a company with offices globally. I know I don't have to worry about that just yet, but having a good reference would be nice. So I was wondering, what company did you work for? I could change my plans later on, but it sure is something I'd like to keep in mind.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Would be nice to find a office here then transfer over there. Is there that many out there doing that at all? Seems like its 1 in a million.

cuas

May 29, 2006
When my daughter (Dominican born) was in high school we went to DR to see how can she go to college in DR to save money. With my salary she is not entitled to financial aid.
One of my friend ( we did the thesis together) told me "Are you crazy, you not know how many people want to study in USA and know you want your daughter to study here?
First year in college I took a US$12,000 parent loan for my daughter after she took some loan. The other years no more parent loans, she got some scholarships and loans but I supported her financially. Now my daughter is an architect, employed and working on her master in NC.
I brought her to NY when she was 4 (like you) to get a better life and education. Now she can go wherever she wants. In 1988 I was making RD$300 a month as an accountant and I did not want that for my daughter.
My advice is go to college in the US and then you can go wherever you want.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you are an attractive female, then your problem could be solved rather easily. Get out of your family's barrio and get to know well-to-do dominicans in real cities. Find a man who is a good man, responsible, attractive and with money. Now you have a free ticket to live the life you have always desired. Please do no fall in love with a barrio tigre who dresses up like Don Omar. No black label johnny walker drinking chopos and certainly no montebar going, red montero driving banca owner.
I am talking about educated, elegantly dressed guy coming out of a real family. There are plenty of them here.
So if you have not seen many, you need to get out of where you always stay in DR.
Now I am sure you will tell me, you are an independent woman who likes to compete with men in this competitive environment. Dog est dog world.
Oh well. here we go again.
AZB

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
if you are an attractive female, then your problem could be solved rather easily. Get out of your family's barrio and get to know well-to-do dominicans in real cities. Find a man who is a good man, responsible, attractive and with money. Now you have a free ticket to live the life you have always desired. Please do no fall in love with a barrio tigre who dresses up like Don Omar. No black label johnny walker drinking chopos and certainly no montebar going, red montero driving banca owner.
I am talking about educated, elegantly dressed guy coming out of a real family. There are plenty of them here.
So if you have not seen many, you need to get out of where you always stay in DR.
Now I am sure you will tell me, you are an independent woman who likes to compete with men in this competitive environment. Dog est dog world.
AZB

Aren't you the one always saying that these guys have tons of beautiful, educated, young model like women, that drive late model Jeepetas to choose from. Why would they marry a recent high school graduate with no money?

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Yes, I was over-exaggerating when I said that I'd have to work my entire life to pay off the loan, but when you mentioned 10 years that's exactly what I meant. I don't know, maybe I'm totally clueless on how long it normally takes to pay off student loans, but to me, it already seems like a waste of ten years. Ten years that I couldv'e enjoyed in the DR. I do like your idea of working for a company with offices globally. I know I don't have to worry about that just yet, but having a good reference would be nice. So I was wondering, what company did you work for? I could change my plans later on, but it sure is something I'd like to keep in mind.

I work for a major technology company. You can have a set up similar to mine at most big "global" U.S. companies. Ofcourse, this all depends on what your job is. I can do all of my work via the computer and phone.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
since, as far as I can see, no academics have posted, I would like to chime in here.
1) What do you want to study?
2) Do you have any family support> You know, like a few hundred a month to live on??
3) Have you thought out your career path?

At 18, you are a bit old to enter college in the DR where a lot of students are 16 and 17....and classes start in 19 days...

do you know that there are colleges here that belong to the Federal Student Loan Program (whatever it is called nowadays?)

Do you know that it costs about $3000 per semester in fees and living expenses? No car, living like a student?? (At PUCMM, Santiago)

So: Answer 1-2 and 3 and we'll see where we go from there...

HB

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
AZB

I seem to find this post very funny and ironic, because everything you seem to mention happens to be true. My mother (who used to be a model in the DR) is trying to get me into the modeling business. A while ago, I used to want to be (mostly because I was in it for the money) but now I've changed my mind. Modeling is not something I completely love to do, but if I ever had the opportunity, I would. My family would discourage me sometimes, because they've always said that I was granted intelligence and they felt I should take advantage of it. My point though, I can also make a future through exhibiting my talents, because I fit all the qualifications that a model should, and am also a very good dancer as well.

The irony of this post is that you guessed it right. When I was on vacation, I could not leave my house at all without receiving remarks from the guys. Everywhere I went, they were either staring, whistling, and even coming up to me. I mean, I had issues with their jelous girlfriends for crying out loud. Im only 15 and I had men in their thirties following me around in their motorcycles. But my point is, if I wanted to, I could've gotten any guy that I wanted. I could've got the responsible, intelligent, attractive business man if I wanted to. But I didn't and I ended up falling for what you call a 'barrio tigre.' Which is ironic because I never seem to fall for the right guy. And I know I shouldn't, but those are the kind of guy's I'm attracted too. But I'm still a teenager, there's nothing I could do about my hormones :) I just have to learn to start to make better judgement, because I've got a good head on my shoulders and don't need my looks to get me through to get what I want. And besides, I'm young enough. I don't need any distractions right now. (Although I really DO miss my barrio tigre) :) BTW: sorry for my autobiography. You mentioned it so I guess I felt the need to reply.

You're completely right when you say that I would compete with men. I grew up with nothing, still am, and someday want to become someone. I want to be able to support myself, and not need to be dependent on a man that can leave me any time he wants.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Hey Hillbilly, seems like your the ol wise one here from the few posts I've seen. Were you born over in DR?

That college info for FSLP is good to know, good point out.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I seem to find this post very funny and ironic, because everything you seem to mention happens to be true. My mother (who used to be a model in the DR) is trying to get me into the modeling business. A while ago, I used to want to be (mostly because I was in it for the money) but now I've changed my mind. Modeling is not something I completely love to do, but if I ever had the opportunity, I would. My family would discourage me sometimes, because they've always said that I was granted intelligence and they felt I should take advantage of it. My point though, I can also make a future through exhibiting my talents, because I fit all the qualifications that a model should, and am also a very good dancer as well.

The irony of this post is that you guessed it right. When I was on vacation, I could not leave my house at all without receiving remarks from the guys. Everywhere I went, they were either staring, whistling, and even coming up to me. I mean, I had issues with their jelous girlfriends for crying out loud. Im only 15 and I had men in their thirties following me around in their motorcycles. But my point is, if I wanted to, I could've gotten any guy that I wanted. I could've got the responsible, intelligent, attractive business man if I wanted to. But I didn't and I ended up falling for what you call a 'barrio tigre.' Which is ironic because I never seem to fall for the right guy. And I know I shouldn't, but those are the kind of guy's I'm attracted too. But I'm still a teenager, there's nothing I could do about my hormones :) I just have to learn to start to make better judgement, because I've got a good head on my shoulders and don't need my looks to get me through to get what I want. And besides, I'm young enough. I don't need any distractions right now. (Although I really DO miss my barrio tigre) :) BTW: sorry for my autobiography. You mentioned it so I guess I felt the need to reply.

You're completely right when you say that I would compete with men. I grew up with nothing, still am, and someday want to become someone. I want to be able to support myself, and not need to be dependent on a man that can leave me any time he wants.

Better stick to the Disney channel and Miley Cyrus for now!!!!!! jesh....................................

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
since, as far as I can see, no academics have posted, I would like to chime in here.
1) What do you want to study?
2) Do you have any family support> You know, like a few hundred a month to live on??
3) Have you thought out your career path?

At 18, you are a bit old to enter college in the DR where a lot of students are 16 and 17....and classes start in 19 days...

do you know that there are colleges here that belong to the Federal Student Loan Program (whatever it is called nowadays?)

Do you know that it costs about $3000 per semester in fees and living expenses? No car, living like a student?? (At PUCMM, Santiago)

So: Answer 1-2 and 3 and we'll see where we go from there...

HB

Interesting because I know a number of Dominican children that started University at 18 years plus. I would think 16 would be the exception and not the norm.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

HB

Is that living on Campus? Does that include housing? Seems very cheap. Too bad PUCMM does not have an English program, I would send my son there if they did....