Should I leave the USA to attend college and commence a life in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since you are just 15, please allow me to rephrase a few things.
1) Decide pretty soon what you want to do for the rest of your life (butcher, baker, candlestick maker, whatever)
2) Find out the best place for you to achieve this goal.
3) Direct your energies towards that goal. If you turn on any television in the world today, they are all talking about Michael Phelps and his 8 gold medals...well, they should also talk about how, at 11, he decided that was what he wanted, and he has dedicated the last 12 years to getting there.

4) If it should happen that what you want to be can be found in the DR, so be it. There are a couple of good places to study here (maybe three). From one of them you can go on to graduate school to put the finishing touches on your profession.
5) Talk with your parents, your school councilors, people who are successful in the field you want to pursue, and they will all help you.

Good luck in what ever it is you decide.

HB

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks HB. I forgot to mention that I read your second post, and am truly sorry for not replying to the first one. I intended to, but then I guess had to leave and forgot about it completely. From what I've read, I take it that you are a college professor at PUCMM? If you're not, that's fine but I wanted to ask a question because you might be best suitable to ask. Is there such thing as being an alumni in DR? My father graduated with honors at PUCMM and was also a professor at PUCMM in Bonao. Though this was, I think, about 10-15 years ago, I was wondering if the DR (or this school on particularly) has such thing as the alumni system that exists here in the States. Any given case that studying what I decide to do in the DR is in fact a better choice, I'd want to know whether or not I have options. Any info you know would be great, if not, thanks for you time anyways.

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
im in the same dilema. But now im going to live in Santiago in my aunts house that only has my cousin in there. So its gonna be me and my cousin in this big ass house by ourselves. Im gonna see if I can get a english title to be an english teacher over there. I live in NC so it really really sucks to be here. I cry everyday cause i just love the life in DR. My parents are always like u gotta study and work and then move. But thats stupid to me, I dont care about money. I can be broke over there and still be rich with happiness than be rich here and depressed. My cousins gonna put a travel agency over there and i think im gonna work with her while my mom sends me like 200 a month. so thats like 12k a month in DR which is really good money especially if i have no bills.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
I went to the DR in February and felt the exact same way as you do.. everything you felt is how i felt. I jut got back from being there for 2 weeks.. from Aug 9-23. When i got back this time of course i still missed it and wanted to go back but for some reason it wasent as bad.. i dont know how to explain it.
College there is much cheaper.. one of my friends teaches at a university and tuition is literally next to nothing. so if thats really what you want to do i say go for it because im thinking of doing the same thing if i can learn a little more spanish.
I think you should go back one more time before making the decision to go to school down there though, just incase something changes. i doubt anyting would but you never know.
sorry about the long post and probably many spelling errors.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
if I wanted to, I could've gotten any guy that I wanted. I could've got the responsible, intelligent, attractive business man if I wanted to. But I didn't and I ended up falling for what you call a 'barrio tigre.'

With all due respect Neicey, at 15 you shouldn't be 'getting' anyone but I understand that is not the norm these days. Take it from someone who didn't plan their life: complete college in the US but don't stop dreaming about the DR. Use your time there to prepare and plan as though you will move here after graduation (college, not high school). Make connections in the US, focus on global companies, stay connected to DR1, study job opportunities now and as they change over the years in the DR, save money. Think outside the barrio here and never, ever put your trust, money or heart in the hands of a tiguere. Check out the many sides of the DR because you may decide to live in an area here you hadn't previously considered. But don't put your life on hold over there either. You don't know NOW how you will feel THEN. If you still feel the same way after graduation then you'll be as fully prepared as you can be to jump in and make the move. And if you don't make the move you will have learned a valuable lesson about the practical side of dreaming: the planning and mobilization part.

In either case, you appear to an intelligent young lady and I wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do. Above all be safe-good luck!

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
if I wanted to, I could've gotten any guy that I wanted. I could've got the responsible, intelligent, attractive business man if I wanted to. But I didn't and I ended up falling for what you call a 'barrio tigre.'

With all due respect Neicey, at 15 you shouldn't be 'getting' anyone

The way I wrote that made it seem as if a successful business man would fall for a teenager. I meant to say that, I am and have alot of the qualities that a successful business man WOULD end up with. I am intelligent, and well-rounded, come from a wonderful family, and I actually have morals unlike most of the people I know.
but I understand that is not the norm these days.
You couldn't be more right! I feel left out most of the time within my peers because practically everyone has a boyfriend/girlfriend, hang out alot with friends, go to alot of parties, etc etc. I do not have those priveleges. My parents are strict on that issue; they don't allow me to have a boyfriend, and they rarely allow me to go out with friends or to parties. Yes, I do get upset sometimes, because I'd want to go out with my friends and not feel left out like I always do. But eventually I've realized that it is for my benefit. Now, instead of being bitter, I thank them. I thank them for raising me with right morals, teaching me to have goals, to believe in my dreams and myself. They've always told me that if I wanted to become someone, that I'd actually have a decent shot at it through my school work. And that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to work my butt off during these highschool years, because this is what can determine my future. I'm going to work as hard as I can to make sure that I earn a scholarship, because if not I might just have to kiss my DR dreams goodbye. But I really am going to put all my effort. I'm going to make my parents proud.

Take it from someone who didn't plan their life: complete college in the US but don't stop dreaming about the DR. Use your time there to prepare and plan as though you will move here after graduation (college, not high school). Make connections in the US, focus on global companies, stay connected to DR1, study job opportunities now and as they change over the years in the DR, save money. Think outside the barrio here and never, ever put your trust, money or heart in the hands of a tiguere. Check out the many sides of the DR because you may decide to live in an area here you hadn't previously considered. But don't put your life on hold over there either. You don't know NOW how you will feel THEN. If you still feel the same way after graduation then you'll be as fully prepared as you can be to jump in and make the move. And if you don't make the move you will have learned a valuable lesson about the practical side of dreaming: the planning and mobilization part.

In either case, you appear to an intelligent young lady and I wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do. Above all be safe-good luck!

I appreciate your advice. Very wise words, thank you. With help from scholarships and loans, I can have a pretty good career. Reading back on all of this, though, I've realized that I have been very selfish. Instead of moving right away like I wanted to, I would rather stick it out a little longer and try to help out my family. My parents deserve the best, and one of my goals in life is to try and give them as much as they've given me. With the money I save, I want to build them a comfortable house. Hopefully, by that time, I'd already have a high-paying job and living in an apartment in this beautiful country. But those are just my longterm goals. (BTW: I'm extremely sorry for making my posts extremely lengthy, it just actually feels good to speak to people that understand) I would also love to own a steady business there to be able to support myself and my family, and I know that it requires alot of money and hardwork. I'm setting my goal and working my very hardest to achieve them. I probably won't be coming on DR1 as often as I'd liked anymore, because school's starting and I have to keep my head in the game.
But, I just wanted to thank everyone on DR1 for opening my eyes.

About the tiguere, this was some boy I met around the neighborhood where my family lives (Note: my family is very poor, so it was definetely not in a rich neighborhood in Santiago or SD). He was just someone I enjoyed spending time. He would constantly send me kisses and feed me sweet lines while I was there. We never exchanged emails or phone numbers on my time there, but when I return, I would have done so. While I was there, he and his friends would always ask for me, and would always send me messages with my cousins. When I left, all of it stopped. No one even remembered me, life was back to the way it was. The guy, though, continues to send me messages through my cousins. Now, I laugh about it and don't even think twice. I guess moreover, I would spend time with him because somehow I felt deprived. My parents were always very strict on that, and I guess I retaliated in a very immature way. I felt that I deserved to have fun once in a while. I was interested, but decided not to talk to him anymore, decided that he wasn't right for me, or my future. My point though, I want to thank not only everyone who's helped, but also the people that work to put this site together and the people that contribute to the articles. I have found some very, VERY helpful information. Boy, am I glad that I found this site now. I know that I am not speaking for myself when I say that what is advised on this site has changed many lives.

I bid you all adieu (atleast for a while) Besides, I'm sure you guys wouldn't want a "no-idea-what-to-do-with-my-life" teenager annoying everyone. This post was mostly meant for successful people that have already experienced life and are finally enjoying in paridise. But I am very glad that I have stumbled upon you all. Once again, I thank you all for everything that you've done, and everything that you continue to do. As for now, looks like I've got to go hit the books ....

Neicey

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I bid you all adieu (atleast for a while) Besides, I'm sure you guys wouldn't want a "no-idea-what-to-do-with-my-life" teenager annoying everyone. This post was mostly meant for successful people that have already experienced life and are finally enjoying in paridise. But I am very glad that I have stumbled upon you all. Once again, I thank you all for everything that you've done, everything that you've did, and everything that you do. As for now, looks like I've got to go hit the books ....
Neicey

You are welcome!!!!!

With this attitude, YOU will go places.

Look at the bolded quote, good idea!!!!!

Be good;)

alwaysdominican9

Feb 1, 2009
Well what is great about this whole situation is that you can try it. If you are not happy here (I understand because i feel the same way. I dont like New York at all, my dream is to live in santiago and attend la PUCMM ponticifica universidad madre y maestra and then have my own bilingual school in the future)...Listen man nobody can make your decisions, give it a try for a semester a see what it goes from there. You never know, my cousins that live down there are all engineers and would never in their right mind want to come here to live. Unibe is a bilingual college in santo domingo, i just visited that school its gorgeous! =] Or look for a study abroad program. Its really something you have to think about, i been thinking about it for 2 years now and i think im about to just move and start a new life there starting in august (in santiago)...IF ANYTHING YOU COME BACK! NO BIG DEAL, YOU WILL NOT BE TIED DOWN OVER THERE!! =] follow ur heart sometimes. If things go bad, but at least u tried it and wont live with the anxiety that you didnt do what u wanted to do.

do it man, im on the same path!