Should I leave the USA to attend college and commence a life in the DR?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aren't you the one always saying that these guys have tons of beautiful, educated, young model like women, that drive late model Jeepetas to choose from. Why would they marry a recent high school graduate with no money?
I am not surprised this is coming from a dominican who lives away from DR. You folks have little idea of what goes on in your own motherland.
Since when a guy looks for money in a girl in DR? Do girls pay for anything when they are on a date with a guy? Do they even have to open up their purse apart from taking out makeup?
No, the guys look for beauty and elegance in a woman, not to mention class (which comes from a decent family).
Now the Op is too young to be thinking this far. She is a baby and she is already making mistakes like the rest of the dom york girls do. She has fallen for a tigre because she better relates herself with the barrio culture than the jevito culture. She is already getting used to having motorcycle guys following her around. So I do not see a bright future for her in DR if she continues in this path. For now, she should concentrate on disney channel and barbie dolls.
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
But my point is, if I wanted to, I could've gotten any guy that I wanted. I could've got the responsible, intelligent, attractive business man if I wanted to.

How So? you are 15...

What type of Business man would date a 15 year old kid!?!? What are the child laws in DR.

Child you are still developing!! keep your face planted in your books, and further your education.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I am not surprised this is coming from a dominican who lives away from DR. You folks have little idea of what goes on in your own motherland.
Since when a guy looks for money in a girl in DR? Do girls pay for anything when they are on a date with a guy? Do they even have to open up their purse apart from taking out makeup?
No, the guys look for beauty and elegance in a woman, not to mention class (which comes from a decent family).
Now the Op is too young to be thinking this far. She is a baby and she is already making mistakes like the rest of the dom york girls do. She has fallen for a tigre because she better relates herself with the barrio culture than the jevito culture. She is already getting used to having motorcycle guys following her around. So I do not see a bright future for her in DR if she continues in this path. For now, she should concentrate on disney channel and barbie dolls.
AZB

I don't agree much with what AZB says most of the time, but everything he had posted in this thread i do agree with.

I also think the OP is in love with a tigre from a barrio, and that's why she wants to move to the DR.

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
AZB

I'm not going to disagree with you, maybe I am going way over my head. I guess it was the thrill of being there and being with my family is what made me want to live there so much. I don't know much in DR besides where I live there, which is why I wanted to move there most. I want to explore my horizons and attend a good college and associate with the right kind of people. I don't want a future in DR if it means being stalked by guys all the time. I'm young and I don't need any distractions. I know I'm young, but I'm extremely mature for my age. Seriously, what kind of fifteen year olds would even worry about their future at this age, nowadays? Most I know don't care where they'll end up 10 years from now. I figure I should give it a rest then. Sorry to all of those that feel like you've wasted your time

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How So? you are 15...

What type of Business man would date a 15 year old kid!?!? What are the child laws in DR.

Child you are still developing!! keep your face planted in your books, and further your education.

La purr dear, i didn't know she was 15yrs old. I didn't read the whole thread in detail. I was more in tune with her future, when she decides to move down here with some education. when I read she was only 15, I then mentioned disney channels and barbie dolls. I can see she is thinking of her future now but she must understand, even if she feels mature enough for her age, being attracted to a barrio tigre will only lead her to being attracted to banca owners (at best) in the future when she is closer to mid 20's. Not a good start.
I wish her good luck and a bright future.
AZB

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
AZB

I never said they want girls for money. I was pointing out that they would want someone from their own social circle based on what you have said before. Since I'm a Dominican living abroad and I have little idea about what goes on there, I may have misunderstood you. :ermm:

To the Op, you are too young to be thinking about anything other than finishing High School right now. Forget about that barrio tiguere and focus on enjoying your life in the U.S.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
La purr dear, i didn't know she was 15yrs old. I didn't read the whole thread in detail. I was more in tune with her future, when she decides to move down here with some education. when I read she was only 15, I then mentioned disney channels and barbie dolls. I can see she is thinking of her future now but she must understand, even if she feels mature enough for her age, being attracted to a barrio tigre will only lead her to being attracted to banca owners (at best) in the future when she is closer to mid 20's. Not a good start.
I wish her good luck and a bright future.
AZB

AZB,
I know my lovely ...i wasnt referring to you i was quoting herself when she said she can get any guy she wants ...including business men!!

Looks like my quote didnt attach!! I fully knew what you were talking about!!

sorry about the confusion!!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
So now I?m back here in the States and I?ve been avoiding all my friends and just not wanting to do anything at all. Nothing here excites me like it does over there. My life over here is the exact opposite of how my life would be over there. And it depresses me time and time again when I think about it.

This is your biggest mistake. Spend time with your friends and make the most of the life that you have. You are living in a dream and that is why you are unhappy. You have to learn to be happy with your real life, and you can do it if you just make up your mind to do it instead of telling yourself, that if only something else were true I could be happy. You are lying to yourself when you do this. Your happiness depends on your ability to adapt to whatever is happening to you now, and enjoy it. Laugh with your friends about the difficulties you have, get up and try it all over again until you get it right. Don?t forget you are very young and still have your family to fall back on for support. If you don?t learn to do that you will never be happy. Don?t mope around the house thinking about some guy who is probably (more than a 50% chance of this) only thinking about what he can use you for. Even as a female, at fifteen you have a long time before you should start letting romance be an important part of your life. If you are as attractive as you say you are, you will be better off learning to graciously decline any offers from the boys. Trust me on this, in ten years when you are ready for that kind of action the offers will still be there, you?ll have a pretty good idea of what?s available out there, LRD will still be there, and you will be much better prepared to make a selection. If you haven?t learned how to be happy where you are, and you move now you will start finding new problems there that will make you unhappy.

We all want what we can't have. Should I put my happiness on hold and take advantage of the opportunity that I was given to be here?

The answer to the second part of this question is yes, yes, yes take advantage of every opportunity you have. Study hard and enjoy yourself with your family and friends. The answer to the first part is no, start learning to accept your life as it is and be happy with it. Happiness is not something that is handed to you based on what you think you want. Happiness is something you have to learn to accomplish regardless of situations.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Neicey my advice, stay in the US, attend college there and get a Job so you can come to the DR in regular basis for vacations, later when you save some money and are still young (35) you can think of making the move without so many problems and with a degree in hand. In the meantime I don?t recommend you to come and live here without any base whatsoever, make it vacations after vacations.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At 15?? You do not have a clue...really....but at least you are thinking a little.
No answer to my questions so I can see you have not thought much about that.
FYI,any nice butt will get whistles and invitations...

Cost of education at PUCMM: (We do not recruit foreigners)
9000 pesos registration fee
1000 credits x 22 credits
20,000 for great accomodations per month

Let's see, 60,000 per semester + 31,000 tuition and fees = 91,000 pesos including room and board per year for medicine, engineering, law, business admin., architecture. Say $2500 x 3 semesters = 7500 a year US$ more or less....Ballpark figures...

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I grew up with nothing, still am, and someday want to become someone. I want to be able to support myself, and not need to be dependent on a man that can leave me any time he wants.

That is pretty smart for 15. You seem to have progressed beyond the barbie dolls stage ;) so stay smart, stay put & stay focussed.

Sorry to all of those that feel like you've wasted your time

I don't think you have wasted people's time & certainly not your own if this has given you a chance to sort out your thinking a bit. The low you feel after the holiday will go when you get back into the high school year & get busy with studies & with all your friends again. The education opportunities you have now are invaluable if you make full use of them. Think about a career where you could eventually return to the DR and contribute to your country's development. Course there wouldn't be time for barrio tigueres but by that time you won't want them anyway. Good luck to you, neicey. :)

Sep 19, 2005
I recently read that exactly What college you went to had more impact on secureing a well paying job than what your grades were, and I believe that may apply even more so if you go to college out of the country.

I would guess that if you spoke very good spanish that you would do much better degreeing at a decent mid level college in america, than even the finest college in the DR

although you will save thousands of dollars doing the latter........lots of them!!

bob

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Neicy,

My advice, however patronizing it may sound given your feelings, is to enjoy your life in the here and now. 15 is a wonderful age to be, and if your family can afford vacations in other countries and to give you near-constant access to a computer, I'm sure your quality of life in the US is pretty good as well. :glasses:

Make friends, participate in school activities, and make the most of your high school years. Study and play hard, always mindful that college is a few years away.

Then find a good university, and repeat the process. Know that DR will always be there, but there are another 190 countries to explore, as well as your own backyard (the US is vast).

You can spend your summers, or even be a visiting student for a semester or a year, and that might help you to get an idea of what you want.

But in the meantime, enjoy your life as an adolescent, don't get too caught up in boys, and don't forget to study hard.

Best of everything,

DRob :glasses:

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
also...

I know it may seem hard to fathom at your age, but 30 or 40 years old isn't OLD. At least it doesn't feel that way when you get there. At the ripe age of 41, I still feel like I have my whole life ahead of me, and I feel vibrant and energetic with the added edge of being wiser and more financially secure. As many people have said, enjoy your young years now while you can, pay off your debt (it really only takes about 10 years to pay off a student loan) and stay child-free. That way, you will have more resources to make the move. As much as I would love to live in the DR, I realize that now is not the right time financially, and I will have to wait until I have all my ducks in a row. Remember, good things come to those who wait, Rome wasn't built in a day, yada yada. Get your education, mature a little, live life a little, then make your decision. Good luck!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am 45 and I don't even need glasses yet. My girlfriend is still 23 yrs old. hahahahaha. so what has changed since I was 24? Little.
AZB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I am 45 and I don't even need glasses yet. My girlfriend is still 23 yrs old. hahahahaha. so what has changed since I was 24? Little.
AZB

Same here, 42 and feel wonderful. Just a few grey hairs.:cheeky:

S

sokitoumi

not many people had computers when you were 23 now the majority have them.....errrr im struggling.........no-one had nintendos and gameboys and everyone looked like duran-duran

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You will make AZB jealous. What I suspect has changed since he was 23 is his hairstyle :cheeky: not the colour necessarily but the volume.

But as the saying has it, grass doesn't grow on a busy street ;).

You are very clever.

This is why I mentioned it (the grey hairs). I wanted someone else to make note.

I say this because AZB is always talking about his full head of hair!!!! lol

neicey

Aug 11, 2008
Hey guys! Sorry that I haven't replied lately, I've been kind of busy trying to get my life back lately and I haven't had much time to myself. I've just finished reading all of your replies, and I just want to thank all of you for your advice. With all of it in mind, I know to make use of all the opportunities I'm given, and not let stupid things like barrio tigueres to steer me away from getting what I want. I'm focused and not going to let anything, or anyone, stop me. As for now, I should make the most of what I'm given, for it would be a big waste if I didn't. I thank you all for helping me through this, and for putting me in my place :) I deeply appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
Neicey