Smoking in the DR

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Hey thanks T...now I understand....and believe me I am laughing so hard my lungs hurt.....or is that the cigarettes????

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
More Dominicans smoke than you think. Buy a pack and watch how many will ask you for one.

Seriously Jill think about quitting. It is very bad for your health. Its bad for your gums, teeth, lungs, throat , heart, circulation, immune system, hair, skin.

I quit a year last weds. Hoooray.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i have no love for smokers having shared a room with my heavily smoking brother. dad used to smoke too and kicked his habit after 30 years or so when i was already an adult. in any case, indeed, not that many dominicans smoke. strange thing since DR produces so much tobacco. sometimes in the campo you will see older folks, including women, smoke a cigar or a pipe.

My mother in law has smoked since she was 11, but she only smokes in the back-yard, out of sight. She never smokes when there's company.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Still a filthy, unhealthy habit.

Not to mention the dangers of secondhand smoke - I was never really a smoker, a little bit when I was as teenager, but my dad was a chimney. In the house, in the car, in restaurants, you name it. I hadn't had a cigarette in over 30 years when I was diagnosed with lung cancer. The surgery wasn't pretty and wasn't painless.

I 'presume' secondhand smoke is a bit less of a problem in DR because most places are open and breezy, but still........

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Most people don`t smoke because it`s just not considered cool. It`s not for financial reasons. There is no preasure to smoke and not as many opportunities to get exposed and get hooked! Drinking is what`s considered cool!

An Italian guy who was doing NGO work here once told me that he smoked in Italy but not here, because over there "Everyone who is somebody smokes." I found that interesting!

By the way, I`ve recently seen a couple of groups of young people getting together with Hookahs. That seems to be catching on!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Ah I see...you are quite correct...there was me reading the whole passage and putting it into context
And there was you chopping it up and quoting a chunk
I can only apologise
Francis is not my name...or am I missing your humour?

All I saw was you assuming that it was you that Alltimegreat saw blowing the smoke in peoples' faces on some street in France or Germany (Even though you never do that.), or maybe just jumping at any excuse to get offended.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm so allergic to cigarette smoke. When tobacco burns it creates formaldehyde and that's what I'm allergic to. Back in my dancing days I loved going to the Latin clubs because I didn't have to take a shower when I got home to get the smoke off my skin and hair. I always said it was because the Latinos were too busy dancing which left no time to smoke. :)

Today there's no place left in Canada to smoke except ones own house and many do it in their backyards.

I used to think it was funny when smoking was allowed on flights. Remember when smokers had to go to the back of the plane while everyone else watched the smoke fly by to the front. :)

Anyway, yes the DR is a great place for non smokers.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I'm so allergic to cigarette smoke. When tobacco burns it creates formaldehyde and that's what I'm allergic to. Back in my dancing days I loved going to the Latin clubs because I didn't have to take a shower when I got home to get the smoke off my skin and hair. I always said it was because the Latinos were too busy dancing which left no time to smoke. :)

Today there's no place left in Canada to smoke except ones own house and many do it in their backyards.

I used to think it was funny when smoking was allowed on flights. Remember when smokers had to go to the back of the plane while everyone else watched the smoke fly by to the front. :)

Anyway, yes the DR is a great place for non smokers.

True!!!!

I used to work for Phillip Morris. Everyone smoked and all employees were given 2 cartons of cigarettes a week free of charge.

I used to sell them. lol

May 29, 2006
Many of my friends smoke in the US. The big difference now from 20 years is they have two or three cigarettes a day instead of a pack or more. Smokes are close to $10 a pack in the US and it's illegal in NY to smoke inside public buildings.

Landlords are also making it illegal to smoke inside apartments and tenants can be evicted and lose their security deposits over smoking.

I don't mind smokers in the DR. Most of the bars are open to the outside so it's not that bad.

May 29, 2006
I think it's about $9 up in Upstate. One of the work-arounds are shops that sell loose tobacco and then *rent* a rolling machine that can make a pack worth of cigarettes in a minute or so. Loose tobacco isn't taxed as much. Those eCigarettes are getting popular too, but they aren't as good as regular cigs. One guy I know who uses them says he saves $70/month over regular cigarettes. It would be a lot more in NYC.

Mar 1, 2009
Abuela Dona Tatica, used to smoke! My cousin Josie told me that when she was a little girl, she shared a bed with Abuela and she would smoke there with her. Grandma lived a tough life God bless her sweet soul, was married 3 times, 5 kids of her own plus an informal adoptee, Billo. Josie told me that while abuelita would be calmly puffing, she would be doing her inventory of the day's events talking outloud to herself and if she remembered any mischief on Josie's part, she would stop puffing and go "conho, no haga mas esa vaina"!!!!
When I was coming up, I never saw abuela Dona Tatica smoke. She'd abandoned it, in favor of heavily drinking coffee.
I think that it was prevalent mostly because of the American soldiers that occupied the country popularized it.
Plus the Hollywood actors of the time were always smoking, so it was cool at that time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
About 10 years ago, a few "Discos", and bars went "No Smoking".
The idea caught on, and now many, or even most, are "No Smoking".
Young people who used to be "Cool" smoking in Discos couldn't, and for that reason, I believe, never got "Hooked" on "BUTTS", the tobacco kind of "BUTTS" that is!
The cost also prevented them from starting in the first place.
It is the cost of cigarettes that also prevents smoking here.
The comment that, "Open a pack, and just see how many "Smokers" ask for one"!!!!, is spot on!
To ANYONE who thinks that "Drugs" are not a huge problem here, and growing larger every minute, You Don't Know $HIT" about the DR!
They are destroying this entire country!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Lalo", I will have to give you the "Chip, No Fui Yo" award if you are not more careful.
"Damn Those "Yankee" soldiers for turning Dominicans into smokers"!
Did they bring tobacco seeds in their back packs, or had the Dominicans been growing, and smoking, tobacco for a few hundred years before they arrived ??????????????????????????

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
World's youngest smoker!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cTxwUie6VN4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looks like he NEVER misses a meal either!
I'd love to see an annual video of his "progress".
No "Children's Protective Services" in that town!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC