so.... What do Dominicans find really annoying about johnny foreigner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
a personal touch from miesposo:
what he hates the most is that gringos are "useless unproductive a**holes who only f**k prostitutes and drink untill they **** their pants" and that they "do not like for DR to change and move forwards".
Yes, I asked mine too and he said "the ones who come to this country to do what they can't get away with at home" with specific reference to child prostitution.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
No, my lass hates me wearing shorts unless I am in water, she says it makes me look like a stupid foreigner. I don't think I even have any shirts these days, all vanished.

It's a funny thing. I wear shorts here in Canada from May to October at work and at leasure, rarely were long pants. I go to a warm country and I can't were shorts because I look like a fool. God, my shorts cost me more than any of the long pants I own....

I have decided to look like a stupid foreigner. I can't pass for a Dominican anyhow so I may as well be comfortable. :nervous:

Reactions: cobraboy

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Yes, I asked mine too and he said "the ones who come to this country to do what they can't get away with at home" with specific reference to child prostitution.

I guess it is only foreigners....Dominicans are not involved in any of that stuff.

steelmet

Jun 21, 2007
"do not like for DR to change and move forwards".

and that would be the fault of tourists? or perhaps the government and those in power who strip the country to its core.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have decided to look like a stupid foreigner. I can't pass for a Dominican anyhow so I may as well be comfortable. :nervous:

I morphed at some point and reckon I pass for a native. I have to rebell occasionally and dye my hair blonde or have an argument with her in public just to keep my identity, but shorts? thats a no no, overstepping the Mark there.:cheeky:

Reactions: ramesses

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It's a funny thing. I wear shorts here in Canada from May to October at work and at leasure, rarely were long pants. I go to a warm country and I can't were shorts because I look like a fool. God, my shorts cost me more than any of the long pants I own....

Well if you are only staying for a couple of weeks the short pants everywhere won't matter as much, but if you intend to live more than 3 months here you better get on the times and put that jeans/trousers on whenever you need to do errands.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I only wear shorts around the house in the morning or at a resort. Everyday I wear chinos or golf pants. I don't like sandals either. I find most jeans too hot. I wear T-shirts if I'm doing so work, moving stuff, or playing sports. I personally like wearing good clothing and shoes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I guess it is only foreigners....Dominicans are not involved in any of that stuff.
He is aware that it is not only foreigners, but the topic of the thread is what Dominicans find annoying about foreigners. If the question was about what Dominicans dislike about their own people he would include it on his list, but I probably wouldn't ask him in the first place because once he gets started...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"do not like for DR to change and move forwards".
and that would be the fault of tourists? or perhaps the government and those in power who strip the country to its core.

ummm... what he meant is a bit different... see, there was a thread some time ago about new no drinking and driving law. many people were, like, wtf, this is why i came to live in DR, why laws, it's better the way it is, blah, blah. gringos want DR to stay the way it was when they arrived years ago with cheap and willing putas, no laws to speak of, total freedom to do as you please. but the truth is that DR in order to move forward HAS to become more "civilized" whether we want it or not.

Reactions: mountainannie

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Dominicans find annoying about foreigners.....I think that would be our dancing techniques....I for one can not dance the meringue....although I think I can dance the robot! :paranoid: lol

Reactions: Eddy and rice&beans

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I don't want the place to move forward, who thought this? If it had moved forward before I had went through all the misery and heartache to get me comfortable and safely able to navigate life then fine. But why would I want it to be easy, hassle free and modern now I've been through it all. I don't want a massive expat invasion, and so keep it backwards, keep it unbearably testing for anyone other than us masochistic souls. If you manage to settle, you've earned it, lets not make it easy. Selfish I know, but if I wanted to be surrounded by gringos I'd have moved elsewhere.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
This sounds familiar

This one strikes a chord with me. I feel the same way. To me long pants and socks are synomonous with cold.

As god is my witness, if my dream of moving to the DR ever materializes I will never wear long pants and socks again.
I apologize in advance to all the Dominicans that I may offend :glasses:

Reactions: ramesses

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dominicans find annoying about foreigners.....I think that would be our dancing techniques....I for one can not dance the meringue....although I think I can dance the robot! :paranoid: lol

You should really try to learn to dance it. Well at least to spell it. ;)

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
You should really try to learn to dance it. Well at least to spell it. ;)

wellllll, I actually spelt it merangue and they spell check said no...sooo it changed it to that..lol Oooooops, sorry...hahahahah

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
From a professional/educated Dominican friend who has the 'pleasure' to deal with foreigners daily... when pressured by me for what is annoying... and stating clearly these are generalizations...

American arrogance and repeatedly hearing "this or that is just so ridiculous"
French are focused on money & are shameless in how they get what they want
Russians think they are superior
Germans are just horrible
Canadians are stingy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
dominicans are very upset that foreigners are taking away all their grillos to their countries. They hate the fact, you guys get all the Grillos and they get non.
Oh and they hate fags.

Status
Not open for further replies.