So where does it all go???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This article written in 2013 is way of beam as far as the DR is concerned but as far as the trickle down effect is concerned , it is limited in this country and the very poor and uneducated will not receive benefits from the tourism industry ..that is because they will not or can not change their location or vocation .

i have no idea what this means...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Tourism doing well

According to Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia, the tourist industry has grown constantly during President Danilo Medina's three years in office and now brings in more than US$16 billion a year to the economy that is more than the actual budget for the country.

He said that tourism has experienced extraordinary growth with more than 16 million tourists arriving over the last three years making the country the leader of tourism in the Caribbean.

He said that the growth had been systematic with just over five million visitors in 2013, over 5.6 million in 2014 and nearly four million so far this year. He went on to say tourism was also very important in generating employment, accounting for approximately 300,000 direct jobs and over half a million indirect jobs.

During this administration, more than 9,000 new hotel rooms had been built and more hotels are being built. With this robust growth in the tourism sector, Garcia was confident that the target set by President Median of ten million tourists a year by the end of 2022 was achievable.

http://almomento.net/turismo-ha-generado-rd700-mil-millones-ultimos-tres-anos/127700

The average Jose el Plomero sees nothing of this :ermm:

The article cited 16M tourists spending 16B a year. That's $1,000 per tourist, on average.

Which makes sense, when you realize most folks come with their families or Significant Others, and the average two year old probably isn't tearing through 3k over a long weekend in Punta Cana.

Over the last 3 years

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Gorgon, is right.
Only a small percentage of the money stays here, wages and local purchases. They rest goes to the tour operators, airlines and hotel chains.
The average AI tourist hardly spends any money outside of the resort.
Have worked many years in the hospitality and leisure business in several countries, personally I have never liked the AI concept.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
this is the same backward, wrong headed thinking that suggests that all the minorities in the USA want is enough to buy a few fast food meals and some cheap wine. sorry, ctrob. they want the same things that well off people do. they are no different. they want the Bimmer and the Benz, too.

I normally ignore your posts, but this one takes the cake. You are a piece of work. Who's talking about minorities? Does everything have to somehow relate to your twisted view of blacks vs. whites? Cheap wine? You must live a miserable life, trying to inject racism and bigotry into everything you see.

And you are flat out wrong. The average working Joe/Jose wants a job, security and a better life for his kids than he had. That's in both the US and the DR. The average Joe understands Capitalism. He understands that you work hard and you get ahead. 20 y.o.'s want a cushy job and a beamer right out of school. Then they grow up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DREADLOCKS always combative

i only combat when i know what i am talking about. there are threads i have no interest in, and where i know i am out of my depth. i know better than to get into threads about technology, , among other things.

you, on the other hand, are getting into a thread about a subject with which you have no familiarity, know less than nothing, and yet you want to debate. a sensible person learns the subject, then debates.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon, is right.
Only a small percentage of the money stays here, wages and local purchases. They rest goes to the tour operators, airlines and hotel chains.
The average AI tourist hardly spends any money outside of the resort.
Have worked many years in the hospitality and leisure business in several countries, personally I have never liked the AI concept.

i am amazed that a guy like Kipling does not know about this reality. yet he wants to debate.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Right!

How so? I see them building scaffolds, laying block, pouring conc., operating equipment, carrying in furniture, maintaining the grounds, planting sod, on and on. And permanent jobs after the construction is complete. That's all the average Joe wants, to work and provide for his family.

This is the way it is in Jamaica. More and more hotels, construction jobs and a lesser amount of permanent jobs at poverty
wages.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
you believe that each tourist here puts 3000 dollars into the economy. on average.

you must be kidding me. i cannot believe that you can be serious that each tourist who comes on vacation to the DR starts with a discretionary amount of , say, 9000 dollars for a vacation. because, in order to spend 3000 in the economy, he will need something around 9000. the DR is based on the AI motif, so a part of the money goes to airfare, a part to tour operator fees, a part to accomodations, and so on.

I can only speak for myself....I am nearing the end of my 16 day trip...I return to new York on Thursday....I paid $500 approx. for flight....I paid $570 for an apt .....I have a car hired and I think the price is $1700 with insurance...and I have almost spent $3000 while I have been here...gas cost about $350.....so I don't think the idea of $3000 a tourist is a blatant lie

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
frank I think most ai resorts scare the crap out of tourists...to make sure they don't leave the resort and spend money anywhere else ....I have friends who have come to the d.r. every year and all they ever see is the airport, the road to the resort , then the resort itself...and were told its too dangerous

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can only speak for myself....I am nearing the end of my 16 day trip...I return to new York on Thursday....I paid $500 approx. for flight....I paid $570 for an apt .....I have a car hired and I think the price is $1700 with insurance...and I have almost spent $3000 while I have been here...gas cost about $350.....so I don't think the idea of $3000 a tourist is a blatant lie

and there are guys who have spent a lot more than you have.

however, you are a guy who came on an independent vacation, rented your own lodgings, car, etc. of course you spend more than the average guy who comes on an all inclusive vacation.

most of the visitors to the DR come on all inclusive trips. i have a few very good friends who come here very regularly. they all come on one week AI trips. none of those guys has ever spent more than 700 dollars on the airfare, the hotel, and ground transportation.

i am sure you know that travel agents in Toronto are selling last minute AI charter seats for anything they can get in excess of the taxes.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
“A la fecha 272,963 personas trabajan directamente en la industria tur?stica y si hacemos el c?lculo de que cada empleo directo genera tres indirectos los n?meros son extraordinarios”, destac?.

Unfortunately not everybody took time to read the link in the OP and blathered on about personal agendas.

If ten per cent of the total population of DR gets work out of the tourist industry directly or indirectly (in other words maybe 25% plus of the workforce), that must be good.....end of story. Especially since the tourist numbers are 5.4m for 2014, likely to well exceed that in 2015 and meet the target of 10 million set for 2022.

Construction boom....yes big time.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
“A la fecha 272,963 personas trabajan directamente en la industria tur?stica y si hacemos el c?lculo de que cada empleo directo genera tres indirectos los n?meros son extraordinarios”, destac?.

Unfortunately not everybody took time to read the link in the OP and blathered on about personal agendas.

If ten per cent of the total population of DR gets work out of the tourist industry directly or indirectly (in other words maybe 25% plus of the workforce), that must be good.....end of story. Especially since the tourist numbers are 5.4m for 2014, likely to well exceed that in 2015 and meet the target of 10 million set for 2022.

Construction boom....yes big time.

so i guess that to your way of thinking questioning the veracity of a published figure is blathering on about an agenda.

all righty then.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmmh also....at the moment tourist and "illegal" resident = same diffrence.....no point to try and find out the average $ spent.

Sadly the dr is still a tourist destination for the cheapos and the chopos.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mmmmh also....at the moment tourist and "illegal" resident = same diffrence.....no point to try and find out the average $ spent.

yes...and when a cheapo or a chopo comes on vacation with three kids below working age, he does not spend 12 grand.!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

When did you last book an AI in Punta Cana/Bavaro?

It ain't cheap anymore and it gets 70% of all DR incoming flights as of todays news.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When did you last book an AI in Punta Cana/Bavaro?

It ain't cheap anymore and it gets 70% of all DR incoming flights as of todays news.

so give us a timeline as to when the demographic changed. tell us when a more upscale tourist started coming here. approximations are ok.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
it still adds up to some money???somewhere....5 million x's $160.USD. landing tax...plus 3 million tourists paying 10$...room taxes are high...lets say 1 million of those.....AND etc etc.../////it is still alot of money forget about the 1$gallon govt tax on fuels...million gallons aday everyday ..adds up...

Status
Not open for further replies.