Solar Panels or Batteries??

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I found details of solar power to be rather disappointing and very expensive,one would have to live a long time to get the benefit of savings

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You can educate yourself on Solar Power at The Solar Stik - The New Generator and clicking on the solar school link. This device allows the panels to articulate (follow the sun) allowing you more collection time. The Solar Stik is not designed for the use you are speaking of (it is primarily emergency, military and marine use) but the information is FREE.

You may want to consider using 12V appliances (readily available in the USA for Recreational Vehicles) microwaves, coffee makers, refrigerators, fans etc....they will run efficiently on solar/DC. Camping World or long haul trucking centers stock the stuff.

I use my mine for my flat screen, computer, electronics, compact flourescents, fans.....and yes, it will run my standard fridge....it's all about V times A = P .........good luck

track

Sep 6, 2008
To Track,
where are you living in this island to get only 4,5 hrs of sunshine?

It's not just visible sun light.

Most solar panels are place in a static fixture. They will not follow the sun. Ie.. He wants to installed them in his apartment building.

At this time of year you have sunlight
Tomorrow ( Nov 7, 2008) Sunrise is at ~6:27AM, Sunset is at ~5:49PM
NOAA Improved Sunrise/Sunset Calculation

You will need the suns ray to hit the panels at an angle, about 45 degress or more, 90 is ideal or best. This means the solar panels are no producing full capacity until 10:30 - 11:00 PM, then at about 3:00 PM the production is less.

I'm also pushing the calculation using 4.5, it should be 3.8 or 4, at this time of year it's less.

Please check
Insolation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could install a tracker ( Does it sound like track ) and add 25 - 50% more, but they will cost about $2K - $3K per set of 8 - 10 Panels.

Ah! Add $10K if you don't like the 4.5 hours, and wipe clean every week the panels.

That will probably give you central AC.

T

TodColvards

I need to power a 3.6 kilo inversor. Are solar panels better? Is there enough knowledge to install in DR? Is there anyone who knows what all those numbers on the solar panels mean??

Sorry for all the questions. I need to place this in a 3br apt, I have the use of the rooftop so, I am able to place it, just need guidence.

Thanks to all in advance

sunshine

I am sure batteries are much better option.. This is my personal opinion.. I have not used these panels as they are very expensive with little efficiency..

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
a lot has changed

Although with panels you still need batteries, the cost on panels has dropped a lot, and the cost of adding in a few panels and a charge controller vs the added benefit of having power say 30 % more of the time makes solar panels a much more viable option now

Well, what should I think of this: first post on a 6 yo thread?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For those considering solar, you need a place to store the energy you capture during the daytime. That is in the same kind of batteries used for batter and inverter systems. In addition to the batteries and an inverter, you need charge controllers to put he energy into the batteries and a properly sized solar panel array to produce the electricity you need. When it rains for a couple of days you will either need to use power from the grid or have a generator. It is a fairly complicated, but workable, system. It will require maintenance. Hopefully the panels will last many years since even though prices (if YOU import them) are down, there is still a many year break even point on when they start to pay you back over using the grid power.

Anything you import for solar power usage is by law supposed to be exempt from any import taxes. You can save a lot of money if you can find someone to hook up the panels and charge controllers you import yourself. I don't have room for the 20 solar panels I would need to supply the power we normally use so I stick with the power company and use a battery and inverter system along with a back up generator. The generator thankfully gets very little use. If I had to run my generator, I would have more motivation to try and find room for solar panels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had an all solar set-up since Dec 2008....

works perfectly, haven't spent a dime on anything (just shoot me for saying that)

generator is backup.... typically, two 10,000 fills a year... thats my energy cost

deep gel batteries (36) and Sanyo panels (12 @ 190W)

it wasn't cheap... in those days the panels were ~$1300 each -- today more like $500/600....OUCH!
it hurts to think of it.
November 2008 was Dooms Day if you recall

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
No matter the year posted this is still a good topic. Its not one or the other as you need both. The sun is not a full time source so you have to store created energy for the off hours. Solar panels if its for energy or hot water must be placed towards the equator and at the degree the DR is located from it to get the maximum power, 18 degrees. to run a house and store power takes a ton of panels. Best option for any still looking is use this as a charging source for the batteries then run in the night off the power stored from the day and take yourself off the grid. This is easily done by a simple machete switch, not legal code in the US but we are not in the US. This way only during the day you are running on the local power company and you don't need lights and at night the power you received from the sun will be used during the time you are using light and all. I have put many of these systems together and they really save you tons in monthly costs. Start up costs... that is where the balance comes in... Batteries can cost as do the panels and all the layout. Its about a 1 year 6 month to 2 years to recoup the start up. Care for your batteries as most have a 2 year life unless you really care for them. Worst case is new batteries every 2 years and the recoup process starts again but 6 months in and your saving again. Hope this helps any new people thinking on going solar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
20000 pesos a year for energy and you think that is free? we pay less than that for electricity and had no initial cost of solar or any other.
Der Fish

much depends the house your usage , Derf...

not all is created equal

and, no, I don't think its free --- its 20,000 a year - as I stated

And to Tim...

those deep cycle gel batteries are still 'gellin'' since 2008..... no replacements yet (fingers crossed)

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Wow, William, you have some great batteries brother! Yes gel is the war to go and 8 years... Ill be crossing my fingers with you. The 2 year ones are the normal flooded batteries. I ran mine for almost 4 years and then sole them off for 2000 per battery as they still had life and there was a ton of customers for them...

I know what I pay for my ede bill and its well over the 1,666.66 average you spend for the 20,000 a year. I believe most here would love to pay that amount as a yearly total. $462 a year for energy is great! The average bill in the area I live is 3500 a month and most have there homes lit at night by 1 to 2 lights.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they weren't cheap , Tim,.... but I was promised a long life .
so long , I now forget how long

they are about double the height of normal car batteries

Jan 299 until now = 5 1/2 yrs

yes, my energy bill is good - I think--- Derf thinks differently
but remember,
I am living a North American lifestyle here - feel like I'm cheating.

US type French door fridge, music and TV galore ( music all day long), impeller w/ the water system, US style washing m/c
the works.

In fairness to Derf--- we are only two people and only here 7 months a year...factor up on that
in big times we go to 4-5-6 people -- daughters, big energy users... but those visits are 2 weeks a year max.

I have switched to LED as much as possible --- pool light went from 200W to 20W....even got better light.

house lit up up like Christmas tree at night.

I think it was worth it - if only for the headache free life
and the annual energy cost isn't a killer

The pool runs on a separate system... hard wired, no batteries

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Best investment ever

In most places you need inverters and batteries anyhow, because of the blackouts.
I had that setup because I was never hooked up to the grid.

When diesel became more and more expensive and solar panels more and more affordable, I switched to solar.
It was the best investment I ever made in this country.

My 12 panels (@ 235 Wp) produce about 300 kWh/month (more than we consume) and keep the batteries (12x Trojan T-105) happy all the time (no more deep discharges).
Thus they last longer (now well into their 4th year and still going strong).

Electricity costs per month: 0
I run the 16 kW generator for 20 min. every 2 months.... for lubrication only. :bunny:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
correcto donP

deep discharges are death for batteries.....no more than half -- EVER

good cycles however are like exercise for them.... use them, work them a bit - but don't over work them

reminds me of something else......

use 'em but don't abuse 'em works there too !!

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
take in account that an inverter & battery setup also consumes energy while charging and converting,... about 20% is consumed in the process.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I am building a bar to go down by my pool. There is no electricity there (and my bill is high enough as it is), so I would like it to be solar. What do I need to operate:

Speakers: 12V, 2.9amps, 35 Watts
AMP: 12 V, 2 amp, 24 Watts
Blender: 120V, 450 Watts, 3.75 amps
1.7cf Mini Fridge: 120V, 90 Watts, 0.75amps (that doesn't seem right?)
LED Lights: 12V, 1.2amps, 14 Watts

The only thing that would need to run 24/7 would be the fridge (maybe less, I could put it on a timer). The others; Amp, speakers, and lights probably 20 hours a week. The blender, probably 4 hours a week of run time. The inverter would only need to supply the fridge and the blender.

What size and how many solar panels would I need?
How many and what aH batteries would I need?
What size inverter would I need?

Or, is there a website where I can put all this infor into a form and get the answer?

Apr 13, 2011
So - what would the approximate cost of a system be nowadays???
Seems several have mentioned needing 12 panels and 12-36 batteries... plus inverter, controller...
Component costs? Installation cost?
Is there still a worry of people stealing it? (Power or components...)
Is it different for Santo Domingo, as opposed to elsewhere?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So - what would the approximate cost of a system be nowadays???
Seems several have mentioned needing 12 panels and 12-36 batteries... plus inverter, controller...
Component costs? Installation cost?
Is there still a worry of people stealing it? (Power or components...)
Is it different for Santo Domingo, as opposed to elsewhere?

If you already have an inverter and batteries you don't need to buy another one - just maybe more batteries.

I have 6 new 224 watt Sharp solar panels, and 2 top-of-the-line Outback controllers, and cables for sale if you're interested, they're about 40 minutes from SD.