Solar Panels or Batteries??

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Any recommendations for a company that can quote out an installation in the Azua area? Would prefer to have a combination of wind and solar with batteries. Doesn't need to power more than some night lights, fridge, and tv to begin with.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier

Just came across this thread and have not read it through but here is my thought and recommendation.

Real Goods - Solar Panels, Off-Grid Living, Renewable Energy, Natural Home & Garden as a source for all things solar and " off the grid ".

Saw they have their " 13th edition source book " still available while copies last. Get it if you can !!!!

Was there for their start up back in the 70's...their design group set up a system for my place in Cabral.

kFrancisco de Cabral

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Solar is better.

... Would prefer to have a combination of wind and solar with batteries. Doesn't need to power more than some night lights, fridge, and tv to begin with.

For that solar only will do.
I'd drop the wind idea, more problems than it is worth (maintenance, tower, noise...).

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree w/ donP..... I've been watching & wanting wind for years but have yet to see a system I would buy

My solar is trouble free 5 yrs in to it.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree w/ donP..... I've been watching & wanting wind for years but have yet to see a system I would buy

My solar is trouble free 5 yrs in to it.....

We have a marine windmill, but even though we have a strong wind coming off the ocean almost all the time, it rarely gets to that 'humming' stage when it's really moving. Last trip we took it down, next trip we're going to try it in a different location. :(

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I need to power a 3.6 kilo inversor. Are solar panels better? Is there enough knowledge to install in DR? Is there anyone who knows what all those numbers on the solar panels mean??

Sorry for all the questions. I need to place this in a 3br apt, I have the use of the rooftop so, I am able to place it, just need guidence.

unshine

Solar panels are good if you are going to live off the grid or the electricitydoes not come on for days on in. You need baterries either way. The difference is that you either recharge the baterries with the grid electricity or with the solar panels. If you use a lot of electric during the day, then maybe soilar is the way to go because it will pay itself off after 15 or so years. Otherwise, an inverter and baterries are more cost effective. If money is no object, then solar installed and secured by welded angle iron to keep from getting stolen. BTW, a good lock and chain will not stop from getting stolen if you are not around. Good luck!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have a marine windmill, but even though we have a strong wind coming off the ocean almost all the time, it rarely gets to that 'humming' stage when it's really moving. Last trip we took it down, next trip we're going to try it in a different location. :(

Unlees you have very strong and very consistent winds, I would not spend money on wind generators for private property. That is best done on a large scale.

Solar panels are a better investment if your property supports the quantity you need.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Unlees you have very strong and very consistent winds, I would not spend money on wind generators for private property. That is best done on a large scale.

Solar panels are a better investment if your property supports the quantity you need.

During severe storms, sunlight is usually minimal and your solar panels not putting any amps into your batteries. Wind usually is greater in storms and a wind generator or two can take up the slack nicely. A 400 watt marine wind generator can be purchased for around 700.00 us. Yearly removal and a little paint is all of the maintenance required. Having both solar and wind is the ticket to life off of the grid.. FYI, wind generators have their own safeties for overcharging, and shutting off, so don't hook them through your solar charge controller. Just hook them direct to your batteries.

F

FredrickMor

I need to power a 3.6 kilo inversor. Are solar panels better? Is there enough knowledge to install in DR? Is there anyone who knows what all those numbers on the solar panels mean??

Sorry for all the questions. I need to place this in a 3br apt, I have the use of the rooftop so, I am able to place it, just need guidence.

Thanks to all in advance

sunshine
Well I am really not interested in solar panels.They are very expensive with little efficiency..

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good and Effective

Well I am really not interested in solar panels.They are very expensive with little efficiency..

Nonsense.
Anyway, for me it was the best investment I have made since coming here 18 years ago.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Only on stormy days

During severe storms, sunlight is usually minimal and your solar panels not putting any amps into your batteries. Wind usually is greater in storms and a wind generator or two can take up the slack nicely.

How often do we have storms to make buying a wind generator a good decision?

A 400 watt marine wind generator can be purchased for around 700.00 us. Yearly removal and a little paint is all of the maintenance required.

400 Watt?
How neat! :laugh:
Only 2 of my 12 panels (@ 235 Wp) give me that, more reliable and not only on stormy days. :p

Yearly removal and paint?
Not with solar panels.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nuts from PL

... solar installed and secured by welded angle iron to keep from getting stolen

Unless it is stainless steel or at least hot-dipped galvanised angle irons, tamper proof nuts (also stainless) are a better and cheaper solution.
We bought them in Poland, they know all about thieves (sorry Dorota). :bunny:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
During severe storms, sunlight is usually minimal and your solar panels not putting any amps into your batteries. Wind usually is greater in storms and a wind generator or two can take up the slack nicely. A 400 watt marine wind generator can be purchased for around 700.00 us. Yearly removal and a little paint is all of the maintenance required. Having both solar and wind is the ticket to life off of the grid.. FYI, wind generators have their own safeties for overcharging, and shutting off, so don't hook them through your solar charge controller. Just hook them direct to your batteries.

Two posts in a row I disagree with. I would not waste the time on wind power for a private home. Just not practical. Few locations are well served by high enough winds.

Solar panels have reached the point where they are an OK investment. I would import them myself because of the rip off prices charged here, but that is just me.