Some Uber Driver tryed to rip off american Tourists at the Airport

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Unless things have changed drastically, the normal fare in POP for a trip within the city should be around 150 pesos for a regular taxi. You don't mention from where you want to go to Jumbo...
I live in what is called La Estancia, a neighborhood near the entrance for Playa Dorada. As with most things, prices for transportation have risen a little. In the center of the city, that 150 for a taxi may still apply for the shorter trips.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I live in what is called La Estancia, a neighborhood near the entrance for Playa Dorada. As with most things, prices for transportation have risen a little. In the center of the city, that 150 for a taxi may still apply for the shorter trips.
Thanks, I know the place, we've been many times and it looks a very nice area. Then it sounds absolutely correct, 150 is only within the main city limits.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Taxis are not better than Uber in the DR and this thread is DR related.
What I noticed as a Uber early adopter here in DR is that the quality of the service has been diminished.

My last experience was being scammed by 3,000 pesos from "supposedly" unreported Uber rides from the drivers, that after a long battle with Uber and my bank, I won.

Since then, they "improved" by just informing you that you must "check with the driver if he "closed" the ride. Making the service more untrustable between both parties.

Since then, stopped using the service at least in DR.

Taxis, surprisingly, changed their attitude and most of the services have their own apps or platforms (Monumental, Emi, are great in Santiago)

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
That is why I cant wait for the new train line from Airport to downtown SD, that will change EVERYTHING. Bye Uber, Bye Taxi.

Cant wait ...

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
What I noticed as a Uber early adopter here in DR is that the quality of the service has been diminished.

My last experience was being scammed by 3,000 pesos from "supposedly" unreported Uber rides from the drivers, that after a long battle with Uber and my bank, I won.

Since then, they "improved" by just informing you that you must "check with the driver if he "closed" the ride. Making the service more untrustable between both parties.

Since then, stopped using the service at least in DR.

Taxis, surprisingly, changed their attitude and most of the services have their own apps or platforms (Monumental, Emi, are great in Santiago)
Could you explain how they tried to scam you out of the 3000 pesos in such a way your bank was involved? I've only ever paid cash, never added a credit/debit card or "Uber cash". Your experience and explanation could be helpful for others.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
My experience with Uber here is limited to POP, other than one time in SDO which went fine. Here in POP, Uber gives a price that honestly is ridiculously low for the most part. For example, if I call a motoconcho to pick me up at my home and take me to Jumbo, I pay them 100 pesos. Uber quotes a price of 90 pesos. I know this is way too low, and it's not the driver's fault. So, when they message me and ask about paying more, I reply that I will pay 150 and have never been turned down. If I use a taxi for the same trip, most want 200 minimum. In SDO or SGO, perhaps the Uber quoted prices are a little more reasonable, but not the case here. As mentioned above, if the Uber driver offers their number and I'm happy with them, I'll call them direct after that
I have no idea how Uber works (behind the scenes I mean), so if you use the app and cannot use it to pay as the fees are to low, does that not defeat the purpose? Why do you say this is not the driver's fault and how come the rates do not match the local market?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Here's the problem. The fare on Uber is way too low to the airport. The drivers don't see the destination until they start the job. They pick up and say that they want $40. All these cheap-@rse tourists think they can get to the airport for US$ 10 and of course they can't. Uber needs to make the fare US$ 30 at least on the app and everything would be solved.

I have said it over and over again on here. Uber is perfect for buzzing around Santo Domingo, both for the drivers and the customers. To and from the airport, you should use a trusted, named, driver and the fare should is, and has always been, US$ 30 in the daytime and US$ 40 at night. Trying to save money when you have all your valuables with you, when you have a flight to catch, when you've just got off your flight and are tired, it's just not sensible.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They marked to pay (and did so) via credit card but the driver tried to scam them by telling that the payment didn't go through. See wahat's happened;

By the way, what did happen at the end? The policewoman says "come with us" but where did she take him? And did he pay the US$ 40?

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I have no idea how Uber works (behind the scenes I mean), so if you use the app and cannot use it to pay as the fees are to low, does that not defeat the purpose? Why do you say this is not the driver's fault and how come the rates do not match the local market?
I like the ease of the Uber app versus calling a taxi company and trying to explain where I live. Calling individual drivers that know me obviously avoids that problem. I don't know how Uber decides what is a fair price, but they generally get it wrong here in POP and that's not the driver's fault. BTW, Uber takes about 30% of the fare, making it even worse for the driver.

Reactions: aarhus

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Uber in SDQ is lousy (used it for years, but service has deteriorated sharply. Logically, you don't have a peso left as an Uber driver).

Bad cars, bad drivers, and the rates are often unclear or the trip is canceled by the driver. In addition, when checking out (I always pay a good tip), the Uber ride is not closed, which means that an 'open payment' remains and you cannot book a new ride. Complaining to Uber works well, just say the driver tried to rob you or pull a gun.
Switched to Apollo taxi, which was great.

I've had my own car since February, so no hassle with profiteers and assholes who think you're a j%rk.

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Here's the problem. The fare on Uber is way too low to the airport. The drivers don't see the destination until they start the job. They pick up and say that they want $40. All these cheap-@rse tourists think they can get to the airport for US$ 10 and of course they can't. Uber needs to make the fare US$ 30 at least on the app and everything would be solved.

I have said it over and over again on here. Uber is perfect for buzzing around Santo Domingo, both for the drivers and the customers. To and from the airport, you should use a trusted, named, driver and the fare should is, and has always been, US$ 30 in the daytime and US$ 40 at night. Trying to save money when you have all your valuables with you, when you have a flight to catch, when you've just got off your flight and are tired, it's just not sensible.
My understanding is that the fare is now the same with Uber or about the same to the airport. And recently in an Uber in SD I asked about how it worked and now they can see the destination.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Uber in SDQ is lousy (used it for years, but service has deteriorated sharply. Logically, you don't have a peso left as an Uber driver).

Bad cars, bad drivers, and the rates are often unclear or the trip is canceled by the driver. In addition, when checking out (I always pay a good tip), the Uber ride is not closed, which means that an 'open payment' remains and you cannot book a new ride. Complaining to Uber works well, just say the driver tried to rob you or pull a gun.
Switched to Apollo taxi, which was great.

I've had my own car since February, so no hassle with profiteers and assholes who think you're a j%rk.
You falsely claim they pulled a gun ?

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I like the ease of the Uber app versus calling a taxi company and trying to explain where I live. Calling individual drivers that know me obviously avoids that problem. I don't know how Uber decides what is a fair price, but they generally get it wrong here in POP and that's not the driver's fault. BTW, Uber takes about 30% of the fare, making it even worse for the driver.
I think the App is great and the security features it has now. It’s a good idea to pay a tip.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009

Totally disagree !!! The Price is the Price ! If i use Uber and the app shows me a specific price for getting me to my requested destination than this is the price that i will pay. If it's to low for the Driver this is not my problem. I am not a social worker or afiliated with the Red Cross etc. If he doesnt like his job or his pay he can go and F... O.. !

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Totally disagree !!! The Price is the Price ! If i use Uber and the app shows me a specific price for getting me to my requested destination than this is the price that i will pay. If it's to low for the Driver this is not my problem. I am not a social worker or afiliated with the Red Cross etc. If he doesnt like his job or his pay he can go and F... O.. !
You can pay a nice tip

Reactions: Manuel01

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

I agree with you about Departing the DR, when you have a Plane to catch etc .
But when Arriving ? I personally have all the time in the world to mess with these Taxi Guys , and I enjoy the heck out of it .
And as I have tried to explain to people so many times, the BEST Fare you will possibly get , Leaving the Aiport , is from a Guy who just dropped Some people off.. Its so Easy.. just walk up to him like he is your longtime Friend . He will know exactly what you are doing, and he will play along.
Fare price , chopped in half on the spot. this stuff is not Rocket Science ..

but yes these Dudes who are trying to get over by paying just $10 on a Card no less for a Ride from the City to The Airport .. that is not a game you want to play.
I am shocked there are not more Confrontations.

Reactions: Manuel01

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Zona Colonial to Boca Chica with Uber is 800 pesos. Never had a problem with the driver asking for more. I think the airport problem is the taxi union bullying Uber to charge more.