Some Uber Driver tryed to rip off american Tourists at the Airport

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I sure wouldn't get hot and sweaty wrestling for my dirty clothes with a fat guy just before my flight.
I'd give him $40, making sure I dropped it on the ground to watch him scrabble for it.
Then I'd cancel the CC payment and give him negative reviews and report him to Uber.
I've never had a problem with Uber but I have several times with Taxis.
that about sums it up Billy boy so many ways to skin a cat

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Sometimes when you try to save money in these types of situations it ends up costing you a lot more.
I travel light when visiting family in FL so returning to Santiago is always a breeze.
When exiting STI the PA car/ publico is directly outside of the airport entrance. I pay 80 pesos and take the front seat to myself. Drops me off in the center of town very close to where I live. No taxis, no Uber and no bs. Problem solved.
When in Rome...
and that's why you're the king

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
You falsely claim they pulled a gun ?
Sure, stealing my money serveral times al week, the block in adding new rides by Uber-admininstration learns that this cases will be pickes up very quickly and activate my account.
btw the falsely steal money, that's where it all starts.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Zona Colonial to Boca Chica with Uber is 800 pesos. Never had a problem with the driver asking for more. I think the airport problem is the taxi union bullying Uber to charge more.
Of these Hundreds of Encounters which you have had with Uber,, How many of them were GOING to the Airport, with a Place to catch ?

Liberator

Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Zona Colonial to Boca Chica with Uber is 800 pesos. Never had a problem with the driver asking for more. I think the airport problem is the taxi union bullying Uber to charge more.
The rates (Saturday afternoon) range from 850 to 1400 pesos.
It is also the case that Uber drivers coordinate this among themselves because 800 pesos does not really cover costs (the driver also has to return to ZC and the chance of picking up a passenger in BC is nil) so if everyone maintains a rate of 2000 pesos then that is automatically the rate. (Equal to a regular taxi, in my opinion)

Liberator

Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Sure, stealing my money serveral times al week, the block in adding new rides by Uber-admininstration learns that this cases will be pickes up very quickly and activate my account.
btw the falsely steal money, that's where it all starts.....
They better offer me to switch of the meter or cancel the ride to make 100% for themselves.... Looking back, I take the problems for granted, but I do note that things have deteriorated sharply in 5 years (also my behaviour :unsure: in accepting the way drivers work)

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think the biggest reason for all these Problems and Massive Price Discrepancies, is the Mindset of most of these Drivers , and make no mistake there is no difference between an Uber Driver Dominican, and a Taxi Dominican .. they are both trying to do the same thing
They both want to make their Money on a couple of Suckers , ( ie scam a few people) , and then do nothing the rest of the day .
The Concept of actually WORKING a Solid 8-10 Hour Shift is completely foreign to them , except maybe the Older guys who work in the City , doing150- 250 runs all day, they seem honest for the most part, because they are assuming people know the rate, PLUS you got Publicos competing with them.
.but once you throw AIRPORT into the equation.. its all a big Game of how much they can Sucker you for . They are sizing you up, as soon as they meet you.. " cost of operating" has nothing to do with it .
Cuz if it DID, they would not be accepting 800 Peso Fares at all, if they know their Cost is Highter.. they can do that much math, they are not stupid.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
In all my years, I have never encountered the issues some seem to have with taxis. Ubers, I personally have only used them a few times, no complaints, I just prefer taxis.

Reactions: CristoRey and Big

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The negotiations crap has completely turned me off Uber. Besides that, there are always taxis around. I prefer moto-taxis because they can beat traffic, but understand some gringos/as don't like them. I have the Uber app but haven't used it in about a year.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
In all my years, I have never encountered the issues some seem to have with taxis. Ubers, I personally have only used them a few times, no complaints, I just prefer taxis.
agree. to and from airport, car service, around town uber and taxis or walking!

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Speak only spanish tell them I’m not a tourist and say where/when you’re going tell them you live here many years, all in spanish. It helps

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Something similar happened to me 18 years ago on my first trip to the DR. Hotel arranged for a taxi to the airport at the end of my trip,I was traveling with a friend. When we got to the airport the driver said $80.,we were quoted $40 by the hotel. We questioned him and he said yes,$40. per person. My friend is a bit of a hot head and basically told the driver to go eff himself. The driver reminded us that our bags were locked in the trunk,game over.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
None cause I have no need to fly out of the country.
And that is precisely the Point.. Most of these Scams occur when they know they got you by the Balls , with a Plane to catch, especially if you are running Late.

So with all respect you were comparing Apples to Oranges .

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Speak only spanish tell them I’m not a tourist and say where/when you’re going tell them you live here many years, all in spanish. It helps
This is very true. Many times I have had some service person approach and start asking or talking something in English... I just make a confused face and ask "que"? It has nice effect sometimes... Same as when someone quotes in USD and I look at them confused saying that I only have pesos...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Totally disagree !!! The Price is the Price ! If i use Uber and the app shows me a specific price for getting me to my requested destination than this is the price that i will pay. If it's to low for the Driver this is not my problem. I am not a social worker or afiliated with the Red Cross etc. If he doesnt like his job or his pay he can go and F... O.. !

The problem is that the drivers refuse to take you for the price shown in the app. I've had it happen to me twice (on both occasions I was meeting someone at the airport not getting a flight). I have also hear multiple reports of people being picked up and then told they either have to tip another 1000 pesos or the taxi will drop them somewhere on the way to the airport.and cancel the trip. All of which means you risk missing your flight.

Clearly the driver in the video demanded 40 and the passengers refused to pay and look what happened. I think the police took the driver's side.