Sosúa Getting a Red Light District?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Somos Pueblo says there have been a proposal to create a red light district in Sosúa given the increase of prostitution and the effect it has on the local economy. What area could this be?

Apparently, many Sosúa residents and businesses are worried about the increase of prostitution, so it says.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If you want to get more decent tourism and families visiting the north coast this is not a good idea.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Prostitution is legal in the DR. However, the act of promoting (as in pimp or pimping is ILLEGAL). Tell me how any government can get away with this. Please leave out the words: Corruption, payoffs, "this is the DR", as I know all those that one would cite. If we stay with the concept of this is illegal and a outrage to each and every homeowner that wants to follow the rule of law.

Reactions: jd426

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
It's possible that this could clean up the whole scene - remove any minors, created education points for non profits to operate, have easy access to STI testing, - and (if possible) make it an even bigger destination.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
This has been discussed for years. The Sosua town council even passed new zoning regulations before Willy was elected. The plan was to move the businesses that support prostitution to the east end of town. Willy refused to enforce the new zoning rules. But, the new entertainment center in front of Politur, has been making improvements. Do they know something?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The traditional "party" area of Sosua, a short stretch of Pedro Clisante and Dr Rosen. is much quieter than I have ever known it. The police have increased their patrols a lot and are arresting any girl they can catch (despite prostitution being legal). I don't see any Haitians around at all, presumably because if they get caught they get deported. I drove down to the other end of Pedro Clisante to see whether the previously proposed "red-light district" had taken over but everything is in darkness - nobody around. Report from "a friend"!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The traditional "party" area of Sosua, a short stretch of Pedro Clisante and Dr Rosen. is much quieter than I have ever known it. The police have increased their patrols a lot and are arresting any girl they can catch (despite prostitution being legal). I don't see any Haitians around at all, presumably because if they get caught they get deported. I drove down to the other end of Pedro Clisante to see whether the previously proposed "red-light district" had taken over but everything is in darkness - nobody around. Report from "a friend"!
report from me 6 weeks ago: the town is bustling with Chicas and clients. The entire town and every restaurant.

• Haha
Reactions: Seamonkey

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
It's possible that this could clean up the whole scene - remove any minors, created education points for non profits to operate, have easy access to STI testing, - and (if possible) make it an even bigger destination.

Sosua's R.L.D........ A pipe dream that is an idea that is impossible, especially if the Govt. has any involvement into it.

Some of the translated comments to this article...

Source of employment is what I should do
That won't happen here. Everything is a mess and no one abides the law. They need to ban it already!
That's to take advantage of him, and that ladies have to work for companies, not as they do it directly independent for themselves, it bothers you that those women earn a living, because they do not offer dignified jobs if they really want to help and care, what a hypocrisy
He's rapping hard 😂 the director said if I don't enjoy, nobody will enjoy 🤣 🤣
How can prostitution cause hotels and restaurants to be closed? Somebody explain it to me cause I don't understand.
Sosua is the Red Zone...

Reactions: PCMike and Big

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
For sure Politur is rounding up many more girls in the last month. Formerly, there were people waiting for the girls to be released in the morning, a couple of days a week. Lately there is a crowd almost every morning in front of Politur, and now almost every afternoon also. Something is happening.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Protitution is not "illegal" is how I describe it. There are no laws legalizing nor banning prostitution. Pimping and 3rd party promotion of prostitution is illegal and there are laws against that.

The east end of PC was where the Red Light District was supposed to be in the area near the https://ahnveeresort.com for Horizontally Active Adults which has had its struggles along with the plaza east of it. Maybe those dogs will finally have their day if they can move the action down there. But, I doubt it will go any better now than before.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Prostitution is legal in the DR. However, the act of promoting (as in pimp or pimping is ILLEGAL). Tell me how any government can get away with this. Please leave out the words: Corruption, payoffs, "this is the DR", as I know all those that one would cite. If we stay with the concept of this is illegal and a outrage to each and every homeowner that wants to follow the rule of law.
The main reason is that prostitution can’t be eliminated, only controlled. Even the Bible mentions prostitutes and that is from thousands of years ago. Hence, the focus is on prohibiting pimping as that could lead to abuse (forced prostitution while her pimp gets all the money, modern day slavery, etc.) The only prostitution allowed is if the prostitute is his or her own one person business so to speak.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Something might be a brewin' as Willy has bought a 40% interest in David's 2413 complex down the end of Pedro Clisante,it reopens in October.....

Reactions: PCMike

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Something might be a brewin' as Willy has bought a 40% interest in David's 2413 complex down the end of Pedro Clisante,it reopens in October.....
Probably Willie looking to line his own pockets. It was rumored that Willie was responsible for shutting down that place in the first place. He wanted "payments" and David told him to go F himself. Shortly after that David got shut down. Perhaps David has come to the realization that 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

The "action" has to go somewhere since Sosua has no hope of survival without it no matter what some people might want to happen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
IF that is true about Willie, then maybe that will happen after all. I won't hold my breath.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Somos Pueblo says there have been a proposal to create a red light district in Sosúa given the increase of prostitution and the effect it has on the local economy. What area could this be?

Apparently, many Sosúa residents and businesses are worried about the increase of prostitution, so it says.

What
What they mean is; The entire "Red Light District" of Sosua is reducing it's size to a certain area.

Status
Not open for further replies.