Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
I spent most days on the beach from 2013 to17 and did not see much of that. Mostly guys bringing the companions there, very few girls on their own. But hey, I was not looking for anyone, so maybe I was naïve?
No, I agree. The whole girls roaming the beach looking for customers seemed to end somewhere around 2010.
After that, I never saw much of that anymore with the exception of a few. It was mostly guys bringing along a girl for a day at the beach.
It wasn't sitting at Herman anymore watching parades of girls passing by and calling them over.
It might have changed again though, when the DR government decided they didn't like my kind anymore, I decided to not go anymore.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
275009709_4842043429183483_2032738338398390529_n.jpg

This was on Facebook today. I don't know the person who posted it or how much they know for certain, but it says the whole middle of the beach will be closed to the public.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

This was on Facebook today. I don't know the person who posted it or how much they know for certain, but it says the whole middle of the beach will be closed to the public.
It's been a long time in the making. I was thinking they would wait until after Samana Santa but it appears they may be moving forward sooner than expected if the info posted above is correct.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Only from the vendors point of view will the middle of the beach be closed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's been a long time in the making. I was thinking they would wait until after Samana Santa but it appears they may be moving forward sooner than expected if the info posted above is correct.
I was thinking the same. I'll be surprised if they do it before.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Only from the vendors point of view will the middle of the beach be closed.
That would have been the plan for a long time with respect to the vendor's viewpoint, but let's see that happens.

Is there something really happening after all this time?

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I was at the meeting (I have no dog in this race...I went to be aware of what is happening). The location was at the big event space at Nelson's Bistro and the place was absolutely packed with many layers of standing folks all around the open sides of the space as well as full seating inside. It was a powerful, very well run , intelligent meeting. There were video presentations (between 5-10) of people who have worked at the beach for 20, 30 ,40 etc years. Tiny small business's (like the guy who walks around selling oysters, a tiny hole in the wall colmado) and these people talked about how they raised their 2-3-4 children/ cousins/family all supported from their business .... It was moving and very well done. When the head of the Association spoke he was very positive (in fact the whole meeting was very positive) praising President Albinder ,the development of Sosua, the growth of tourism (which they were taking credit for) and the development of the beach. Jamas / Never....That was the word used and the point of the whole meeting. They will never accept the 2 plazas. That was the whole point.
It was a fabulous show of strength and unity.

Reactions: cavok and drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was at the meeting (I have no dog in this race...I went to be aware of what is happening). The location was at the big event space at Nelson's Bistro and the place was absolutely packed with many layers of standing folks all around the open sides of the space as well as full seating inside. It was a powerful, very well run , intelligent meeting. There were video presentations (between 5-10) of people who have worked at the beach for 20, 30 ,40 etc years. Tiny small business's (like the guy who walks around selling oysters, a tiny hole in the wall colmado) and these people talked about how they raised their 2-3-4 children/ cousins/family all supported from their business .... It was moving and very well done. When the head of the Association spoke he was very positive (in fact the whole meeting was very positive) praising President Albinder ,the development of Sosua, the growth of tourism (which they were taking credit for) and the development of the beach. Jamas / Never....That was the word used and the point of the whole meeting. They will never accept the 2 plazas. That was the whole point.
It was a fabulous show of strength and unity.
So this meeting was called by the business owners and was against the government's plan for two plazas, one at each end with a small number of businesses, and the clearing of all other businesses from the center of the beach.

Can they "fight city hall"? Good luck with that.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Owners of.............?
Apologies for lack of clarity! Owners of businesses in casetas on the beach. But as HS10 has already given a great report on the meeting, there is nothing to add. But it is not just city hall in this fight, it was the president himself that received the 2 parcels of land for the vendor plazas. This appears to have the blessing of the central government.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Apologies for lack of clarity! Owners of businesses in casetas on the beach. But as HS10 has already given a great report on the meeting, there is nothing to add. But it is not just city hall in this fight, it was the president himself that received the 2 parcels of land for the vendor plazas. This appears to have the blessing of the central government.
when the owners of the central part of the beach is "giving" 2 parcels at each end to the government there is always a self serving reason. What it it they get in return?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The vendors aren't giving anything. They have no real say in the matter. Some lucky ones will get to be in the plazas.

Status
Not open for further replies.