Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since 2003 when I started to live in Cabarete full time, there have probably been between 10 to 20 times, likely closer to 10, that my wife and I have eaten from the vendors on Sosua Beach. The best food I had there was the ribs from a place that is long gone. The fish we find to be better at the beaches east of Gaspar Harnandez, but perhaps we always chose the wrong fish restaurant out of the dozens that serve the same thing.

I have no idea if the renovations will provide motivations to go there more often. How will all those restaurants with essentially the same menu differentiate themselves in the new venue? As I understand the current plans , ALL of the current restaurants and bars will be gone, even the "nice" ones and three plazas will be there that will accommodate every current vendor. I am not the only one that sees the deception in that deal.

Reactions: PCMike

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
three plazas will be there that will accommodate every current vendor. I am not the only one that sees the deception in that deal.

So that would be what, about 150 spots in the new plazas? Those are going to be some huuge plazas. I just hope there's still room for the luxury condos.
I think the umbrella guys and the banana boat guys should get plaza spots too. At least 6 tattoo shops, and 4 Velvet Elvis vendors.
And let's not forget the Sun Baked Shrimp Guy. The hardest working guy on Playa Sosua.

C'mon el Hijo, that was funny.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Since 2003 when I started to live in Cabarete full time, there have probably been between 10 to 20 times, likely closer to 10, that my wife and I have eaten from the vendors on Sosua Beach. The best food I had there was the ribs from a place that is long gone. The fish we find to be better at the beaches east of Gaspar Harnandez, but perhaps we always chose the wrong fish restaurant out of the dozens that serve the same thing.

I have no idea if the renovations will provide motivations to go there more often. How will all those restaurants with essentially the same menu differentiate themselves in the new venue? As I understand the current plans , ALL of the current restaurants and bars will be gone, even the "nice" ones and three plazas will be there that will accommodate every current vendor. I am not the only one that sees the deception in that deal.
Sosua beach is definitely not the place to go for the culinary intellectuals. It's a beer, burger and plastic chair place with an entertaining view of the sea and chicas. That fish fry place near Gasper Hernandez (on the beach) is one of my go too spots for fresh flash fried fish. Not too greasy.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What is the government's track record on finishing large complicated projects the way they were originally planned....or even finishing them? I would hate to see this start and not finish because political winds change.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What is the government's track record on finishing large complicated projects the way they were originally planned....or even finishing them? I would hate to see this start and not finish because political winds change.

It is not a gov't project. The entire development is on private property. They need the gov't help to clear the vendors off of the public 60 meter beach setback. A private citizen can't go in and push people off of that land. And with some of the vendors being located on the private land portion, the "clearing" of the beach area becomes a joint effort.

Reactions: jd426 and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is quite a bit of government funding in the project, is there not? Or is that all just for removing all of the existing businesses?
There is no government funding of the plazas to be built at all? Or the extensive parking area with cameras, etc...?

I am guessing that there is boat load of government project involved. The owners donated the land to the government for the plazas. So it is no longer their private land. Or at least that is what I read in the news reports.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is not a gov't project. The entire development is on private property. They need the gov't help to clear the vendors off of the public 60 meter beach setback. A private citizen can't go in and push people off of that land. And with some of the vendors being located on the private land portion, the "clearing" of the beach area becomes a joint effort.
So they will move them. How long do you think before all the vendors have a space in the new plazas? Is private better than government? I've seen projects half finished before. I am just hoping they follow through and don't leave it half done after too much of the money get "misappropriated".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So they will move them. How long do you think before all the vendors have a space in the new plazas?

All of them? Never. A few of them? In a year or so if they work fast.
Is private better than government? I've seen projects half finished before. I am just hoping they follow through and don't leave it half done after too much of the money get "misappropriated".
It's going to be government built structures since the plazas are now government land.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
All of the current vendors will have a space to do business in the 3 buildings to be built?
Who knows. Until the plans are released, it is all conjecture. One thing is for sure, it's a very secretive plan...no transparency in this one. It's as if the government has something nefarious up their sleeve that most will not like. That can't be, the government can be trusted.

3 buildings with 300 parking spots. What do you think?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Who knows. Until the plans are released, it is all conjecture. One thing is for sure, it's a very secretive plan...no transparency in this one. It's as if the government has something nefarious up their sleeve that most will not like. That can't be, the government can be trusted.

3 buildings with 300 parking spots. What do you think?

The only thing nefarious going on is the false hope of plaza spots being given to the vendors. If you remember the timing of the plaza announcement, it was after the vendors started putting up resistance to moving out. Getting tenants to leave when they don't want to is always a bit of a game. I've done it many times. That's what we're seeing transpire here I think. The gov't/owner/developer are hoping the vendors pack up quietly and vacate because they've been given this false promise of getting into a nice new shiney plaza. No gun play, no tear gas, no deaths. That stuff looks bad in brochures. But I really doubt any of the current vendors get a spot. They're getting conned.

300 parking spots? If that's even true reporting, it's probably to accommodate the Sunday crowds. But even that crowd will start to filter away I think and find newer pastures. Sosua Beach is going to look nothing like it does now.

Reactions: David B

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
All of the current vendors will have a space to do business in the 3 buildings to be built?
I would bet, heavily, against that actually happening.

The rent will be much higher, there will be much less of a place for multiple locations offering essentially the same often shoddy goods. There will be less business done as prices go up to cover the raised costs to do business, and many won't be able to wait if it goes on too long before reopening. I posted earlier not to underestimate Dominicans and what they are able to do and withstand but even that has limits. in combination with other detrimental factors. Also, the intention was to not allow the majority, or all, of the previous vendors to return, instead, the spots will have all been given to cronies and/or those connected, and willing to pay the new rents.

Also, I don't believe that the Gov't and or the builders are acting in good faith. In my, approaching 3 decades of, experience in dealing with both and in rentals commercial and residential that when an entity refuses to operate transparently and manages to convince tenants to move out, they almost never get to move back in. There are many potential reasons for this but it normally boils down to 1. It was never the intention to allow the previous tenants to return and 2. The previous tenants can not afford the new rents and have almost certainly found new places to live or work so it's moot.

I find such, generally illegal, tactics to be beneath contempt and the people or companies, including Gov'ts, that operate that way are the lowest of the low, scumbags.

Reactions: David B
Status
Not open for further replies.