Sosua Kids..legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Don't care any more...

I, for one, don't care anymore what happened to the money I sent them.

It's not the money I am worried about, it's the unprofessional way they are dealing with the whole situation. Whether I donated 1 peso or 100,000 pesos, they should let donors know what's going on.

Donors SHOULD NOT have to be sending emails to charities asking where their money is. what's wrong with them posting a monthly update.

Their "professionalism" have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just "washed my hands". If I had plans to keep on donating, they took those plans away from me.

Btw: I didn't know that I was going to donate to a charity that was going to deposit the money in the bank and a later later, still no dental clinic.

Anyways, I am done with this thread. It's fricking annoying the hell out of me!.

LONG LIVE BEYOND THE BEACH CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION!!!!!.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You must understand that this is 'The Dominican Way' Malibook - it is ALWAYS up to you! Things do not 'happen' in the DR unless you are pro-active. Try getting a return phone call from someone who promised you answers here - just does not happen! Many of the Ex-Pats who have lived in this country for more than a year or two ALSO follow this trait, it becomes 'natural' to them to fall into Dominican ways!

Phone calls &/or e-mails are next to nothing to carry out & take virtually no time at all out of someone's BUSY schedule. As you so rightly say - it is common courtesy often overlooked! ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chris,
The impression I am given is that he was given a "Hot Potato" & because there is no the distinction made here by anyone as to whether it was 'Dominican Kids' or 'Ninos Dominicanos' that were given the donations, it is impossible to determin who the 'unprofessional' party is. We appear to be getting a 'GENERAL' slur passed to Dominican Kids without realising that (due to the format that was set up) this is the 'marketing arm' of Ninos Dominicanos.

Untill donators realise &/or accept this fact, there will not be a resolution to the problem unless a number of people become pro-active. I totally agree that Ninos Dominicanos should have explained what was going on & the problems they faced after getting some bad advice & I pressured for that for some 3 months. Regrettably, the division between Dominican Kids & Ninos Dominicanos was never publicised & that is now coming to bite Ninos Dominicanos in the Bum!!

Miguel,
I shall be pleased to receive details PERSONALLY of your donation & will ceck it out with Ninos Dominicanos. I will (if you send any information to me) ensure that YOU get an answer once it is known where your donation was lodged! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Or was the poor fellow landed with a 'hot potato'? (Now I sound like Onions&Carrots and you may ignore me. Of course I'm doing this only to cause trouble! :laugh:).

It's possible that what he was handed was a half-baked potato rather than a hot one i.e. that he was given the money to look after and much later realised no-one had done anything by way of the legal stuff to set up a foundation. I get the impression that the people collecting started out with a lot of public stuff about collecting but maybe hadn't though the whole thing through and realised that it would have been better to have had the legal framework in place first, like professional charities do. Maybe it was a case of good intentions but an amateurish approach to the serious business of setting up a charity? I don't know, it's just a guess. I'll wait for enlightenment.

Sosua Gal

Jul 7, 2005
checkpointsosua.spaces.live.com
Sos?a Kids

Hi everyone...I am not a regular visitor to these boards, otherwise I would have replied sooner. (Thanks for e-mailing me the link to this thread, FireGuy).
I am an active member of Sos?a Kids, and have been a supporter since I was still coming here as a tourist.
I am copying and pasting an artile I wrote for Sosua News, which will likely be seen posted soon.

A Brief History of Sosua Kids

What is Sosua Kids? If you live in the Sosua area, you probably already know. You?ve likely helped with donations and school supplies, and joined in the fun of a Pub Crawl or Fundraising Event.
But if you don?t know what this wonderful organization is and what it is they do, here is brief history.
Sosua Kids, a non profit organization, was founded in 2000, with a small group of local people wanting to make a difference in Dominican children?s lives. You see, public school here is free, but many families cannot afford to outfit their children with the uniforms, school supplies and shoes that are necessary and mandatory to have in order to attend. So we help them.
During its first year, Sosua Kids managed to place a handful of children in school. This number has grown, and through word of mouth, and many generous hearts and hands from all over the world, there are now over 230 kids in school between the towns of Gaspar Hern?ndez and Imbert. Some have reached University status, and several ?Sosua Kids? have gone on to win government scholarships, leaving room for more kids to follow in their footsteps.
Our dedication and hard work does not simply end when the kids are in school in the fall, it has just begun! It takes year long fundraising and awareness efforts to keep the number of children we have in school. We also help with non profit daycare, and assist pre-schoolers, orphans and families in dire straits. Boxes of teaching aids are put together from donated art supplies, chalk, staplers, etc. and distributed. Non scholastic donations such as toys and sports equipment are wrapped up and distributed out at Christmas.
We would like to thank everyone who has participated, donated time and raffle prizes, school supplies and monetary donations. Without you we would not be able to fulfill the need of so many children who are anxious to get an education!
More information on Sosua Kids can be obtained from our new website which also displays pictures of our efforts and the children that they help. The web address is: Sosua Kids. Or e-mail sosuakids@gmail.com.
Monetary donations and school supplies may be dropped off at the following local businesses: Checkpoint Pub, The Britannia Pub, Jolly Rogers and Lou?s New York Shark Bar.
Announcements for upcoming events will be made on our website as well as sosuanews.com.

Financial information and the like can also be found on the website. We have some pictures posted there as well and are trying to keep other older pages updated.
I hope this answers any questions about what Sosua Kids is all about. Thanks for those of you that made comments already!
FYI, Barbara and Linden are still actively involved since they sold The Britannia Pub, which is still a drop off point for donations. Also we have "jars" in several locations that people drop donations in to.
If anyone has any questions please e-mail us.

Regards,
Colleen

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You must understand that this is 'The Dominican Way' Malibook - it is ALWAYS up to you! Things do not 'happen' in the DR unless you are pro-active. Try getting a return phone call from someone who promised you answers here - just does not happen! Many of the Ex-Pats who have lived in this country for more than a year or two ALSO follow this trait, it becomes 'natural' to them to fall into Dominican ways!

Phone calls &/or e-mails are next to nothing to carry out & take virtually no time at all out of someone's BUSY schedule. As you so rightly say - it is common courtesy often overlooked! ~ Grahame.

You have got to be kidding. Are you a shill for this operation? If I donate money to someone I can never get a response because we are in the DR? The head of this den of thieves is an American? Did he become Dominican?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You have got to be kidding. Are you a shill for this operation? If I donate money to someone I can never get a response because we are in the DR? The head of this den of thieves is an American? Did he become Dominican?

Sky, you don't know how funny that is. Neither Grahame nor I will even speak to that American, let alone be a 'shill' for him. And it has been that way for many years. But thanks for the opportunity to make that clear. I guess it needed to be said bluntly rather than all the polite stuff.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You see SKY, That is one of the first misconceptions, Ninos Dominicxanos is NOT run by an American & IT is the main Foundation. Ninos Dominicanos was set up by Alberto Noesi of Anoeca, HE is the President & HE is the one who I am suggesting people contact (even though, being Dominican, it may take a day or two or three to get a reply!!).

Dominican KIDS was (& probably still is) fronted by an American I believe, & he used to have a few Ex-Pat helpers to attract donations. As a result of the lack of up-dates & miscommunication (plus a load of bad feeling) Dominican Kids does not appear to have been active for some months now. I think everyone would welcome some form of comment & update from Dominican Kids.

PLEASE do as I suggest & contact Dominican Kids with your complaints BUT MAKE SURE A COPY IS SENT TO NINOS DOMINICANOS!!

With regard to my position relating to Ninos Dominicanos, I outlined my position in my first post here - that has not changed nor WILL that change. I am not in the habit of passing on false information. I am actively involved with another charity/Foundation & as long as "The American" is involved in Dominican Kids, I will not be welcome (nor would I wish to become involved) with Ninos Dominicanos. Anyone who knows the history here will understand the reasons why & WHY I am trying so hard as to not let this become personal. This would be irrelevent & injurous to the whole point of this thread. That is the maximum I will be saying on that subject! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last year when this was all being set up I advised the organisers to avoid getting into the whole legal and logistical headache of setting up a charitable operation, and suggested that instead, the funds raised could be donated to an existing, reputable, accountable and effective organisation.

It still isn't too late to do this!

If may add a minor personal gripe, I recall that, together with similar advice from Chris and others, my observations were brushed aside in a really brusque and dismissive manner. The thread's probably still there somewhere.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Last year when this was all being set up I advised the organisers to avoid getting into the whole legal and logistical headache of setting up a charitable operation, and suggested that instead, the funds raised could be donated to an existing, reputable, accountable and effective organisation.

It still isn't too late to do this!

If may add a minor personal gripe, I recall that, together with similar advice from Chris and others, my observations were brushed aside in a really brusque and dismissive manner. The thread's probably still there somewhere.
Here it is.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/43987-childrens-benefit-auction-need-some-input.html?highlight=fish
All the suggestions would have had a better result.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have just read that thread - front to back & back to front!! How PROPHETIC some of the comments/suggestions were!

Was a decision ever made in relation to thje suggestions offered? How come the monies ended up with Dominican Kids & how was the DENTISTRY idea formulated? Have the donations to DR1 that Robert handed over, been accounted for all the way to Ninos Dominicanos? ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Thanks for that HOWMAR, first time I've seen it & it sheds a lot of light on what probably happened. It looks to me like Alberto started out as being the 'banker' with the money collected by Dominican Kids, given to him for safe keeping & to gain interest. At that stage had no decisions as to what to do with it been taken despite all those useful suggestions on that thread? Then later was a decision made on a dental clinic? So did that mean Alberto was left with the job of setting the foundation up (Ninos Dominicanos)? So did he go from 'banker' to foundation organiser which is an entirely different function and which perhaps caused some confusion. Coupled with the lack of updated info on the Dominican Kids website it probably caused a lot of confusion. And bad feeling. Is that a fair assessment?

I'm asking questions because I don't know the answers. I suspect that the only person who can answer all of them no longer posts on this board. But maybe if Lee from Alberto's office reads this he could respond to some of them?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
But as of June 2, 2006, 6 months after the auction, misinformation was still being disseminated.
If you have anything such as goods and or services that you can donate please log onto dominicankids.com
We are currently under construction a Dental Clinic which will offer free dental care to children primarily and to adults time permitting. I will soon have pictures to show and put together some infomation about where the money is going to. So far individuals have picked up all the expenses of the building, renovations and dental equipment but we will have at least one full time dentist and a assistant working full time once construction is finished. Please check us out and if you are traveling here bring something down we can auction off in our weekly auctions. Together we can do great things!
Hasta Pronto!

The above quote is from:
Blogging away in Sosualand (FANTASYLand) New Restauranteur!: I forgot to post this picture...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I FULLY understand what you are saying HOWMAR but this was written by an individual & NOT by Ninos Dominicanos. I bet if you checked this back with Ninos Dominicanas Board of Dirctors (assuming that one was formed) that the post in SosuaLand (FantasyLand) was not sanctioned or agreed by them.

I hope you begin to see the confusion here, Dominican Kids is NOT running the Ninos Dominicanos Foundation even though this impression is sometimes given, & Ninos Dominicanos can not be responsible for the claims/actions & inaccurate comments put out by Dominican Kids.

If there was a clear & unequivacle distinction beteween both, perhaps the long & misleading comments about Ninos Dominicanos could be shelved? IF Ninos Dominicanos made a greater effort to control the workings of Dominican Kids, ..................... I tried to get this started some months ago on one of the then popular blogs, but regrettably the best I have been able to attain is a very belated statement from Ninos Domincanos that just does not go far enough & is thereby allowing the festering discontent to continue.

Come on Ninos Dominicanos - MAKE A STATEMENT either to enforce yourselves as the Charity/Foundation CONTROLLING things or separating yourself from Dominican Kids. If the idea of doing dental work for barrio kids is still the main front of your operation, DO SOMETHING about starting some work on the kids - don't wait a moment longer!!

If you have separated yourself from Dominican Kids - tell them to stop allowing such misrepresentation as shown in the link above!

Jings, any more of this & I shall be unable to keep lending my verbal support to what I think is basically a very good idea! ~ Grahame.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This entry seems to comfirm that Dominican Kids and Ninos Dominicanos are one in the same.
Our last Auction which was held on Thanksgiving day raised over 6500 US dollars which is huge for here. With that money and in conjunction with Alberto Noesi, a Dominican Business man who owns Anoeca, a finance house in Puerto Plata we are opening up a Free Dental Clinic that will offer services first to Children and then to Adults time permitting. We, thanks to Alberto, have a building to use in Downtown Puerto Plata. We are beginning renovations with funds provided by Alberto and once done will purchase equiptment needed for the clinic, waiting room and offices.

We have already began the non profit incorporation process and the name of the company is going to be "Ninos Dominicanos" which is Dominican Kids in Spanish.

Please copy these ads and put them on your blogs and websites. Right click mouse, and then click "save picture as" . You will then have these on your computers and be able to upload to your site or file attach e mail them to your friends who can do the same.

Hasta Pronto!
Quote from :Blogging away in Sosualand (FANTASYLand) New Restauranteur!: March 2006

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Doesn't it just? This was written by .....???? Who ran Dominican Kids?? Who is not replying to questions posed here & elsewhere?? Who became responsible for the money collected by DR1 members??

Are these the same people/person that Robert withdrew DR1 involvement with? Now why would THAT have been?

If you STILL feel that Ninos Dominicanos is only another name for Dominican Kids, please contact Albert Noesi & harass the HELL out of him. If he admits to being the same & that he (as PRESIDENT of Ninos Dominicanos) is responsible for all at Dominican Kids, ..... I will be pleased to join the band of angry paeople castagating him! What Dominican Kids has done (or NOT done) is LESS than professional - it is tantamount to .......... well, it doesn't leave too good a taste in the mouth! ~ Grahame.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
News & Updates, Oct 25 2006
We understand there is much felt frustration at the length of time it is taking to get this organization
formalized and getting down to the serious work of doing dentistry work on children?s teeth. We
apologize for this delay & for the lack of communication over the past 12 months ? this was a serious
oversight on our part. This statement is designed to clarify certain misconceptions & to re-affirm our
commitment to the project of dental work for children who otherwise might not be able to afford it.

Organization
Alberto Noesi is the President of Anoeca and the founding member of ?Ni?o?s Dominicanos con
Anoeca? (the only organization entitled to the benefits accruing from the dominicankids.com
website). All legal paperwork has now been signed by the founding members and the organization is
complete and ready to operate.

Summary of what the organization is trying to achieve (vision)
We propose to offer the same dental practices and procedures as used by dentists in America or
Europe here in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. As such the Foundation?s dental practice will
become multi-functional where the services will be available to everyone & anyone who can afford to
pay for this highly professional treatment. The multi-functional surgery is primarily in existence for the
Dominican children, but by allowing those who can pay and by utilizing not just resident dentists but
those who are willing to donate their services the organization should be in a position to generate
money whereby we can help more Dominican children and grow the organization. Treatment to the
needy Dominican children will take precedence wherever conflict is likely to rise. The services to start
with will be limited, but in time The Foundation aims to give the Dominican children the same
treatment as the children who live in the more ?developed? dentistry world. The same dentistry codes
of saving and treating of teeth NOW rather than subsequent re-constructive costs later on in life, will
be adopted regardless if costs.

The Foundation?s aim is that in time the dental program can be extended to include a resident doctor
(GP).

Dental Surgery
Alberto Noesi initially donated the building to the right (facing) of the Anoeca office building here in
Calle Via Antigua Ferrea in Puerto Plata (in front of the port). After further in-depth examination and
subsequent dental planning, the building was found to be unsuitable & NOT a feasible option. Alberto
has now decided to purchase the building to the left hand side of our office & donate that instead.
The purchase of this building and it?s demolition & then complete re-build, will allow the organization
to establish a multi purpose surgery.

Provisional dates are to purchase and demolish by the end of year 2006 and reconstruction is
planned to be complete by the spring 2007.

Dental Surgery Planning
We have been very fortunate to have the expertise of Frank Link, a distinguished Dental surgeon
and teacher from America, donating his services in helping us plan and create a multi functional
dental surgery. Further, Frank Link will donate dental equipment and is allowing the Foundation to
utilize his staffs expertise in getting this organization started.

Dental Surgery planning will now be carried out again as the previous planning (for the building to be
renovated) had been limited to the constraints of renovation to an existing building - now the
planning can be more extensive.

Sponsorship
As there are funds available to commence work, we are going initially sponsor a limited amount of
Dominican children who require urgent dental treatment. We will appoint two dentists, one in Sosua
and one in Puerto Plata, and then inform all of those who have made donations of money, time or
services, who these dentist are, where they are located and the dates and times surgery for the
children will be available.

Help Required
We would like to know about dentists in the Puerto Plata and Sosua areas, those who are known to
be reliable and more importantly ?children friendly?. Obviously they need to offer and deliver a good
service, but further to this we need to know if they would be prepared to work with The Foundation
by offering more competitive rates for the children we send them! If you can approach the dentist on
behalf of the Foundation ? great, please do. If not, let us have the name, telephone number etc &
we will make the contact!

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy dental equipment here in the Dominican Republic?
Ideas & suggestions on this subject will be gratefully received too!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Bob,
Please enlighten me - did you write this yourself and are part of this organization or did you copy and paste from somewhere?

On a side note, while yawning through the blog whose link was posted, I did recognize that building. Or at least I think I do, it is down by the port isn't it? I know that Alberto owned a few "establishments" down in that area, and once when I was having a legitimate "interview" with him, he drove me down by that area, although there were many woman hanging off the balcony at the time!

That whole experience did not sit comfortable with me, I tell you.

Anyway, if that is indeed the building, I would say not the best of neighbourhood - ambiance wise - to be setting up a dentist office that was funded by people who have children's best interests at heart! If you catch my drift!!!!!

Marlie

Status
Not open for further replies.