Sosua - Welcome to the Red Zone - Sosua

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I imagine this is all for show, to let the government prove to the people there is an "equal playing field" in DR, regarding Covid curfew and to show who holds the real power.

We all know that eventually if your are successful they will come for you and take your business (or at least get their nose under the tent for baksheesh) and maybe even the property away from you so a deserving and politically-connected fellow can run it.

I wonder what reason they will come to close the tacky Chinese variety stores with the prime locations near Pedro Clisante & Dr Rosen ?

How many chairs and tables does the government have by now?
I have seen them clean out a dozen businesses in Sosua and much the furniture never reappeared.

Reactions: aarhus

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I imagine this is all for show, to let the government prove to the people there is an equal playing field in DR.
We all know that eventually if your are successful they will come for you and take your business and maybe even the property away from you so a deserving and politically-connected national can claim it.

I wonder what reason they will come to close the tacky Chinese variety stores with the prime locations near Pedro Clisante & Dr Rosen ?
CB, What makes you think they would want to shut the variety stores?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now we wait to see if they get visited again. With the Mayor onside this cat & mouse game could go on for a lot longer than it already has. Clearly they were and probably still are operating outside the spirit of the Covid protocols. As long as non registered guests are permitted access and are being served during the curfew hours there will be those who take exception. Most likely other business owners who cannot do the same. Factual info on the situation is needed but those who have that are probably reluctant to share it. I hear the police in plain clothes are there almost every night taking notes. Doesn't seem to make a big difference though. The goings on continue night after night.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Hey, if they dont care about losing money , they can be closed and re opened as many times as they desire ..
That is how the Powers that be do it .
but if making money is not the real reason for being open for Ahnvee, more power to them .
Expect them to be closed down ( Like Rumba, DLatin, Platinum, Blue Ice etc etc etc , at least a DOZEN more times..
The lesson here is there is no such thing as bein in "compliance" , because the rules change all the time .
One day its a Fire Code, next day its Noise level , now we have new Covid Regs , a complete free for all
Ahnvee is quite possibly the most Perfect Business Model to bleed Dry.. the Dominicans must the just laughing their Arses off .
Look at all the other places they have shut down,, but first they Bleed them.
indeed, I remember when they forced all the bars on Pedro C to build windows and blinds so no passing families could see inside.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The writing was on the wall when they started to make them close at 1am a couple weeks ago.

There's a new sheriff in town - Abinader. And he means business.
They are back open !! All very confusing !
I heard the samething from someone who runs a bar/ restaurant up there lastnight but figured I'd wait to post it on here until someone else/ boots on the ground posted first. Didn't want to get hammered for being wrong.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Nothing like making assumptions when you know nothing of what is going on. It was an embargo due to money owed. Anhvee never closed and is running as usual......as of yesterday.

I'm just thinking out loud here , not making assumptions .

But WHY would a Company with DEEP POCKETS forget to make their FURNITURE PAYMENTS.. ?
Or did we read it incorrectly ,that trucks came and TOOK the Furniture .. ?
Or are we talking about a different type of Debt ,and they Debt collector just swung by to " make a point " ?

Some of us truly would like to understand how it works .

I honestly have never seen this , outside the DR ... how exactly does one forget to make a Loan pmt
and the next week a Truck shows up to repo your Furniture.

and This exact same scenario has happened to numerous other places , on the strip and off ..

Reactions: Big

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Drove by today didn't stop or go inside. Gates were open and people seen inside no parties seen or heard. The lobby look a little sparce for furnishing but that just might be how it always looked. To know what's going on, one needs to go there at 20:35 and see if they let you in to access the bars or if only the restaurant is available to the walk-in public. Despite my curiosity, not sure I'd want to hang around to see what it's like after curfew starts. Need someone who lives close by to let us know if music and people can be heard coming from inside or if there is lots of traffic coming and going.

• Haha
Reactions: BermudaRum

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Drove by today didn't stop or go inside. Gates were open and people seen inside no parties seen or heard. The lobby look a little sparce for furnishing but that just might be how it always looked. To know what's going on, one needs to go there at 20:35 and see if they let you in to access the bars or if only the restaurant is available to the walk-in public. Despite my curiosity, not sure I'd want to hang around to see what it's like after curfew starts. Need someone who lives close by to let us know if music and people can be heard coming from inside or if there is lots of traffic coming and going.
Oh come on you could of went in given us a CNN report..:cool:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nah. It was raining at the time and I had a pasola loaded down with bags of groceries and empanadas.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm just thinking out loud here , not making assumptions .

But WHY would a Company with DEEP POCKETS forget to make their FURNITURE PAYMENTS.. ?
Or did we read it incorrectly ,that trucks came and TOOK the Furniture .. ?
Or are we talking about a different type of Debt ,and they Debt collector just swung by to " make a point " ?

Some of us truly would like to understand how it works .

I honestly have never seen this , outside the DR ... how exactly does one forget to make a Loan pmt
and the next week a Truck shows up to repo your Furniture.

and This exact same scenario has happened to numerous other places , on the strip and off ..
When an embargo being executed here it's common for them to walk in and start grabbing anything of value.

So for example, if you're behind on that new freezer you bought they may come in and grab the TV, stereo, etc. It's not like when you're late on a car payment where they come and grab the car.

• Wow
Reactions: jd426 and AlterEgo