Sosua-what is happening to this town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
Robert said:
Nobody is saying it doesn't exist, those (not all) of us that live and work here are very aware of what goes on in certain parts of the DR.

The reality is that it forms a VERY small part of overall tourism.
In fact, it doesn't even make a blip on the radar.

The majority of tourists head east to Bavaro and Punta Cana.
These are family orientated vacationers, not single guys looking for girls.
Actually, the above is true of every area in the DR, including Sosua.

Would you like me to move that comment to the clown bin, or do you really believe it?

Without places like this, the DR would have a better chance of shaking the image perpetuated by people that have no idea what their talking about.

As I said in an earlier post, some of you need to get a clue...

I appreciate you attempting to make a rational response but you are passing your opinion off as fact and threatening to delete or migrate my comments because YOU believe they are untrue.

Nov 5, 2004
Badussy said:
I appreciate you attempting to make a rational response but you are passing your oponion off as fact and threatning to delete or migrate my comments because YOU believe they are untrue.

See the only problem with that...is what Robert is saying is far more rational then what you are saying.

Don't want to stir up problems...at all...

But just think for a second how many 1000's of families visit the DR every week. They are the ones who make up a large portion of the tourism. And the couples.

Not just single guys looking for some cheap thrills :tired: They are by far the minority.

And your comment wasn't worthy of the clown bin..it wasn't funny. Just that there are far more places that tourist go and spend money then Sosua and BC. And even within Sosua and BC...ppl do not spend all their money on that sort of thing.

What you do does not reflect on every tourist who vists the DR...not even the majority of tourists....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Yes I already did name cheaper vacation spots.
As I said...it all depends on what day you happen to be looking for a cheap deal.
Some days St.Lucia is cheapest, some days Mexico is the cheapest, some days Cuba is the cheapest......etc.etc.
Ooops, I meant Carribean Vacations for americans, so we'll scratch Mexico & Cuba and NYC to Castries, St. Lucia is starting at $771 now and $460 in October, plus hotels are in the $80 plus range and the currency is
US$1 to XCD$2.69, so you know what that mean, since most things will be imported.

Once again DR is the cheapest vacation spot for americans in the carribean.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"Without the places like BC and Sosua DR would go bankrupt. Why? because it would not be able to distinguish itself from other isles."

Out of the 4 million or so tourists that come to the Dominican Republic, I would bet that over 3.9 million are not sex tourists. The other 100,000 are probably split equally between BC and Sosua. Of course there is no way to verify these numbers but I bet I'm close.

If you go to big hotels (which make up most of the tourism numbers) in the POP/PC area, they are all couples and families. They are not single guys going out at night looking for hookers. This makes up 98% of the tourism industry here.

Taking Sex Tourism out of the equation wouldn't do anything to the hotel industry here, except for some cheap small hotels in BC/Sosua that rely on the 100,000 Sex tourists.

Last edited:

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
Conchman said:
Out of the 4 million or so tourists that come to the Dominican Republic, I would bet that over 3.9 million are not sex tourists. The other 100,000 are probably split equally between BC and Sosua. Of course there is no way to verify these numbers but I bet I'm close.

If you go to big hotels (which make up most of the tourism numbers) in the POP/PC area, they are all couples and families. They are not single guys going out at night looking for hookers. This makes up 98% of the tourism industry here.

Taking Sex Tourism out of the equation wouldn't do anything to the hotel industry here, except for some cheap small hotels in BC/Sosua that rely on the 100,000 Sex tourists.

Im not debating whether your numbers are wrong or not, whearas they are probably more realistic than mine but how would the girls gain money if they were not able to sell their bodies? What would they be doing otherwise?

Normally doing that is the only reasonable means to gain a decent amount of money. Im sure many of those girls would go to school or study for a decent job, but there are just minimal opportunites.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Badussy said:
I appreciate you attempting to make a rational response but you are passing your opinion off as fact and threatening to delete or migrate my comments because YOU believe they are untrue.
Most things that Robert will post is from knowledge. He is entrenched in working for businesses in the Tourist industry. He really knows what he is talking about.

You are just wrong. Even in Sosua the sex trade tourists are a minimal percentage of the total.

Escott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Badussy said:

"Passing off your opinion as a fact..." Isn't that what you are doing. Those of us who live here and do not chase after the hookers think so. And the realestate agents who are making a killing selling vacation property to couples from the US think so, too.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
Sosua is a designated "Sex Town" and it will always be that way. Tourists go to the DR for two reasons only.
Cheap Vacations & Hookers

Damn ... you figured me out! And all this time I've been posting about coming to the DR under the pretense of finding a job! ;)

Sunnie

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
Just curious that if the vulva trade is minimal then why is the government making a big deal to eradicate it?

Why was boca chica dead, to an extent that i had to waste time and actually meet a decent girl? All those business were affected, so I had to actually go sightseeing and sleeping and living in El campo because they made a national mandate to take away my whores.

Those same people that walk with there families in the day are the same guys at night that I see tip toeing on the hoe stroll right next to me.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Badussy said:
Just curious that if the vulva trade is minimal then why is the government making a big deal to eradicate it?

Why was boca chica dead, to an extent that i had to waste time and actually meet a decent girl? All those business were affected, so I had to actually go sightseeing and sleeping and living in El campo because they made a national mandate to take away my whores.

Those same people that walk with there families in the day are the same guys at night that I see tip toeing on the hoe stroll right next to me.
Oh comon, how often do you see a lot made of nothing? I can't speak of Boca Chica but it is not illegal in the DR and they only clamp down when there are a lot of complaints and that lasts as long as they clamp down on Helmets which isn't long. Police in the DR are a joke and are hardly a factor in anything except if you pass the station using a cell phone or without a seat belt during daylight hours if it isn't raining. You can commit as much criminal mischief as you want if it is raining, not a police officer to be found.

They closed down a lot of massage parlors in S.D. recently. Do you think you cant get a mesaje completo in town? Gimme a break. Same stuff, different day.

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Badussy said:

Maybe because it attracts a certain type of tourist?
Maybe it's not good for the image of the country?
Maybe the tax man is not happy with hookers not paying their share?
The reasons are endless, but most are valid.

Badussy said:
Why was boca chica dead, to an extent that i had to waste time and actually meet a decent girl?

At least we now know what type of tourist you are.
Why waste your time with the DR? I hear Thailand, Brazil and even the USA has lots of decent hookers.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
'(Berzin) Well, I was in Sosua and I noticed a pronounced difference from last year to this year. There seemed to be more bars opening on Calle Pedro Clisante that seem to cater specifically to "the trade". When I went to the clubs, I ran into about 20 girls who were fumigated from Boca Chica.'

You should have seen Pedro Clisante at night in the early nineties, boy, then there really was a problem! Now the sex business just goes up and down with general economic and tourism business: almost dead after 9-11, and now reviving bit by bit. So, nothing is happening to Sosua, don't worry, noone will let it get out of hand I think.

'(Ricardo) Sosua is a designated "Sex Town" and it will always be that way'

Exactly, also, Sosua has always been the town with the cheapest AI hotels, and it will stay like that as well, attracting a not so financially interesting crowd for the local businesses.

'(Daydream) You can get last minute deals to the DR from the UK (especially the north coast as east coast tends to be more expensive) for the same price that you would pay to go to europe these days
I would say, in order of price, it goes something like: DR - Jamaica - Cuba - etc etc (from UK, cheapest upward)'

Yes, correct but imo european tourism is not the future for the DR. It's simply too far away for us. You won't get a lot of repeat business from the average european vacationer: first, driving up to your local airport, waiting a couple of hours for a (delayed) charter flight, then 9 hours in the plane if no stopovers, and finally another hour's drive to your DR AI hotel: that's not what vacationers call 'having fun'! The Mediterrean is our natural european 'vacation backyard' because it's so comfortable and closeby. Unless those europeans visiting the DR, speak spanish or are addicted to merengue and bachata or addicted to their dominican girlfriend, next time they will go to an AI hotel in Turkey, Egypt, Morocco just as easily and for less money. I see the evolution in the crowds on the belgian charter planes to the DR: more and more 'people from the campo' and young couples and students; everyone else has been there already. The only repeat business from the european AI vacationer you can get, is indeed through last minute deals, but that doesn't help the image of the DR.

'(Palmiche) Cuba is more expensive than the DR!'
Definitely so! Both for the AI or the independent traveler Cuba is more expensive. All my friends coming back from Cuba keep complaining about it. I heard that Fidel has cracked down on sex tourism again: all Havana's jinetera girlies and sankies are in prison now, even the pregnant ones!

Bartolomeo

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
While it's probably true that much of the tourist trade is made up of families and couples going to A-1 resorts there "cheap" vacations cost 2-3 times as much as a regular one. Watch. The resorts package these vacations at $595.00 for 5 day/ 4 nite per person; 4 to a room. that's $2400.00 bucks for a room. And the food and booze that is included. Wow! cheap booze or locally produced rum and food that is bland and tasteless hardly makes up for the cost. Which is probably around $15.00 per day Worst of all. None of that money gets to the D.R. It's $ that is paid and left in the land of departure. However, I am sure there is a nominal amount spent at the resorts which goes to pay the overhead.
In terms of dollar value to the D.R. the individual tourist staying outside of the all inclusive resorts are far more beneficial to the country. IMO.
I visit 3-5 times a year and I can tell you the price to be foot loose and fancy free is going up and up.
In case you haven't noticed the majority of people who travel to the D.R and don't stay at the resorts are single men and women. All with the same needs for affection and companship, no matter how fleeting. And there by

contribute quite a lot to the welfare of small towns such as Sosua.
John

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Or guys looking for beautiful coloured guys

Amongst many in the non white community, DR is considered a paradise for guys looking for beautiful coloured women without the american attitudes.[/QUOTE]

..or white women looking for beautiful coloured men.
Long live freedom

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
Damn ... you figured me out! And all this time I've been posting about coming to the DR under the pretense of finding a job! ;)

Sunnie
hahaha, ok 99.9%

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
4 to a room is rare, very bad example

duhtree said:
While it's probably true that much of the tourist trade is made up of families and couples going to A-1 resorts there "cheap" vacations cost 2-3 times as much as a regular one. Watch. The resorts package these vacations at $595.00 for 5 day/ 4 nite per person; 4 to a room. that's $2400.00 bucks for a room. And the food and booze that is included. Wow! cheap booze or locally produced rum and food that is bland and tasteless hardly makes up for the cost. Which is probably around $15.00 per day Worst of all. None of that money gets to the D.R. It's $ that is paid and left in the land of departure. However, I am sure there is a nominal amount spent at the resorts which goes to pay the overhead.
In terms of dollar value to the D.R. the individual tourist staying outside of the all inclusive resorts are far more beneficial to the country. IMO.
I visit 3-5 times a year and I can tell you the price to be foot loose and fancy free is going up and up.
In case you haven't noticed the majority of people who travel to the D.R and don't stay at the resorts are single men and women. All with the same needs for affection and companship, no matter how fleeting. And there by

contribute quite a lot to the welfare of small towns such as Sosua.
John

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think some people on this thread is blowing "the prostitution problem" in Sosua totaly out of proportions. I think people who reads this thread, that haven't been in Sosua getting an impression of the town, like it should be like the red light district in Amsterdam or Repherbahn in Hamburg. It's not like that at all. I would say a normal family on vacation in Sosua will hardly be exposed to any open prostitution acts at all. There is no girls hanging out at every streetcorner in a typical hooker outfit. Some people here are talking about more than 1000 hookers in Sosua ?? I would be very surprised if there at any time is so much as 200 professional hookers in town. That a lot of local girls, can be convinced to have sex for money with a tourist is another case, that is not special for Sosua.

Status
Not open for further replies.