Sosua-what is happening to this town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Tor said:
I think some people on this thread is blowing "the prostitution problem" in Sosua totaly out of proportions. I think people who reads this thread, that haven't been in Sosua getting an impression of the town, like it should be like the red light district in Amsterdam or Repherbahn in Hamburg. It's not like that at all. I would say a normal family on vacation in Sosua will hardly be exposed to any open prostitution acts at all. There is no girls hanging out at every streetcorner in a typical hooker outfit. Some people here are talking about more than 1000 hookers in Sosua ?? I would be very surprised if there at any time is so much as 200 professional hookers in town. That a lot of local girls, can be convinced to have sex for money with a tourist is another case, that is not special for Sosua.

They are out at night and there are only 341 of them.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Sosua What is happening to thos town

Are you people so blase that you do not want to throw up when you see a fat bellied German walking with a young girl or a non Dominican woman fat or otherwise walking with a sanki. When will we take our town back from these destroyers?
Adam S.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You are just wrong. Even in Sosua the sex trade tourists are a minimal percentage of the total.

Escott[/QUOTE]

If this was so true, then why did tourism in Sosua dry up when The president closed down all of the bars when he came into power in 1996?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In case you haven't noticed the majority of people who travel to the D.R and don't stay at the resorts are single men and women. All with the same needs for affection and companship, no matter how fleeting. And there by

contribute quite a lot to the welfare of small towns such as Sosua.
John[/QUOTE]

Wow, John, that was just beautiful. You've just validated every single one of my past and future trips to the DR. VIVA SOSUA!!!!!!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Berzin said:
You are just wrong. Even in Sosua the sex trade tourists are a minimal percentage of the total.

Escott

If this was so true, then why did tourism in Sosua dry up when The president closed down all of the bars when he came into power in 1996?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. I was NOT living in Sosua in 96. Places do get out of fashion just like anywhere else. Maybe it was because the Government put all their eggs in the Punta Cana Basket and maybe that is the reason? Got me but what I said is the truth.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Adam Spenser said:
Are you people so blase that you do not want to throw up when you see a fat bellied German walking with a young girl or a non Dominican woman fat or otherwise walking with a sanki. When will we take our town back from these destroyers?
Adam S.
Wow, you live in Sosua? For what it is worth, Germans are not the dominent tourists in Sosua anymore. Now we only have skinny Germans in Sosua.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Let,s Be Honest

I have been travelling the the Domican Republic for over 10 years and have made several excursions across the country.I am ,by no means, an expert on the country, however, I know what I have seen and experienced.
Sosua is a great town for single people and a divorce waiting to happen for married couples.I get a real laugh witnessing married men getting everything from a dirty look to a slap in the face from thier jealous wives for just looking at all the pretty girls.
I travel to the D.R. because I enjoy the sun, sand, fishing, swimming and exploring ,however, I stay in Sosua because of the beautiful Domican girls.
Anyone who thinks Sosua would thrive as well with out the easy sex available there, has got his/her head stuck in the sand.Many business people realize this as well, and hire good looking women to work in thier establishments.
I also notice that it almost always seems to be the prudish foreigners that gripe and grumble about this situation.I have never heard a single complaint from a single man, vacationing in Sosua.
There are many beautiful, less "sexually provocative" towns and cities in the D.R. for family vacations...leave Sosua to us singles.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Adam Spenser said:
Adam S.
I only want to throw up when they are beautiful young ladies and because they should be walking with me instead of the FAT GERMAN.

I love DR1.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Escott said:
I only want to throw up when they are beautiful young ladies and because they should be walking with me instead of the FAT GERMAN.

I love DR1.

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Nope. Cheap all-inclusives, cheap girls. When have you ever seen a tourist travelling around the country? Doesn't happen.

Has nothing to do with the beautiful country....[/QUOTE]

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Delusions... Cuba is definetely more expensive than DR. Far nicer, but more expensive.

PeachezNcream84 said:
Depends where abouts in Cuba, or where specificaly in the DR you are looking to go.

Depends what day you look in the paper for last minute deals, but I have often seen St.Lucia, Cuba andMexico listed as cheaper then the DR.

Not all of the DR is cheap to travel to...like Punta Cana...deffinatly not the cheapest carribean destination.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Gettin back to topic. Sosua is dead (muerto), dead like a dead donkey on the road.
I was at sosua beach this sunday and ventured into the town to see my buddy larry. I swear to god, I thought I had walked into a curfew in baghdad. There was no one in the street even in the evening. All businesses are dead.
Whenever I read a post by some wishfull thinking sosua expat saying that sosua is a happening town and will become up & coming in the near future, I simply have to laugh. They are in complete denial. Now if anyone disputes account, I would be happy to show them the empty town where even the hookers are losing weight due to starvation.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB, from a tourist point of view I have to strongly disagree with you. I was there about a month ago and I found it to be a vibrant little town with nice shops, beaches, and eateries. It also has a very active nightlife. My prior trip to Santiago, which I realize is not a tourist town, was a big disappointment. The area I stayed was dirty, noisy, with lots of traffic; similar to Santo Domingo. I honestly believe that the North Coast has everything the average tourist (and I don't mean sex tourist) on a moderate budget wants. For the tourist with a larger budget, there are better places to go in the DR and other Caribbean Islands.

Now as far as from a non-tourist perspective, you and Escott can continue to debate the merits of North Coast versus Santiago ad nauseam.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
rellosk said:
AZB, from a tourist point of view I have to strongly disagree with you. I was there about a month ago and I found it to be a vibrant little town with nice shops, beaches, and eateries. It also has a very active nightlife. My prior trip to Santiago, which I realize is not a tourist town, was a big disappointment. The area I stayed was dirty, noisy, with lots of traffic; similar to Santo Domingo. I honestly believe that the North Coast has everything the average tourist (and I don't mean sex tourist) on a moderate budget wants. For the tourist with a larger budget, there are better places to go in the DR and other Caribbean Islands.

Now as far as from a non-tourist perspective, you and Escott can continue to debate the merits of North Coast versus Santiago ad nauseam.
yup, that is exactly what people see when they come to spend a day or 2 in santiago, accompanied by their young barrio girlfriend or another expat who only comes here to buy stuff from hardware stores. To an average tourist or a guy who comes to meet family or his girlfriend will only see the worst parts of santiago. they always get stuck in traffic because they only know how to get in and out of the main avenue. They get confused and frustrated when they see more than one traffic light (as opposed to sosua) and extremely disappointed to see that no one will speak to them in english.
They usually end up in Ambis disco or a local carwash. they usually visit their girlfriends in cienfuego, monterico, las colinas etc barrios. Let me ask you this, does any of you guys ever stay in places called Villa olga, los jardines, ceros de gurabo etc etc? Does anyone know anyone from there? No, not all millionaires live there. There are so called "middle class" folks who live in this country. Not all are either dirt poor or elite class.
So yes, you folks will always see dirty congested city called santiago.
Now about sosua, yes, I know, you are right; its a complete town if you are above 60, speak zero spanish and love UBH. there is nothing more in sosua except ugly hookers and a beach.
If you want to buy a needle, you would have to drive to santiago. so much for a complete town.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB, you completely missed my point. I understand that Santiago is a wonderful place to live. But strictly from a tourist perspective, the North Coast is more appealing. Most tourists doesn't want to deal with traffic or getting around traffic; appreciate little shops; enjoy open air eateries; like a nice beach; want to walk the streets; and appreciate that the locals are able to (or at least try to) communicate with them. Sosua and the surrounding area offers all this, without having to stay in an AI resort. Santiago does not. The only thing Santiago offers that Sosua does not, is a nightlife where one can party with the Dominican elite. There are better places in the DR for a tourist to do that.

I know you are a reaction junkie and perhaps that's why you always feel a need to bring up UBH's, peoples barrio girlfriend's, put down any woman whom is not educated or well-off, etc.. I guess it's not possible to have a discussion with you when you are always playing the same song. My post dealt with tourists, specifically non-sex trade tourists. You brought up your usual rant.

In the future I will ignore your posts as you should do mine.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB said:
yup, that is exactly what people see when they come to spend a day or 2 in santiago, accompanied by their young barrio girlfriend or another expat who only comes here to buy stuff from hardware stores. To an average tourist or a guy who comes to meet family or his girlfriend will only see the worst parts of santiago. they always get stuck in traffic because they only know how to get in and out of the main avenue. They get confused and frustrated when they see more than one traffic light (as opposed to sosua) and extremely disappointed to see that no one will speak to them in english.
They usually end up in Ambis disco or a local carwash. they usually visit their girlfriends in cienfuego, monterico, las colinas etc barrios. Let me ask you this, does any of you guys ever stay in places called Villa olga, los jardines, ceros de gurabo etc etc? Does anyone know anyone from there? No, not all millionaires live there. There are so called "middle class" folks who live in this country. Not all are either dirt poor or elite class.
So yes, you folks will always see dirty congested city called santiago.
Now about sosua, yes, I know, you are right; its a complete town if you are above 60, speak zero spanish and love UBH. there is nothing more in sosua except ugly hookers and a beach.
If you want to buy a needle, you would have to drive to santiago. so much for a complete town.
AZB

I guess Santiago is also not complete, was that why you was at Sosua beach on Sunday? :)

AZB, your rants are getting a little boring, you just recycle the same old same old.

Why don't you do something constructive and start telling us about Santiago, it's night life, shopping, people and major attractions. Instead of comparing Sosua to Santiago, why don't you educate us on Santiago.

Maybe then some of the expats/tourists will go and get to see some good parts of Santiago.

Status
Not open for further replies.