South Korea to supervise construction Pedernales International airport; President Luis Abinader to visit Korea

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Corea-supervisará-Aeropuerto-Pedernales-MINPRE-1024x683.jpeg

The Ministry of the Presidency and Korea Airports Corporation (KAC) signed on Tuesday, 21 March 2023 a preliminary agreement for the evaluation of the construction of an airport in Pedernales as part of the Pedernales-Cabo Rojo Tourism Development Plan, developed under the aegis of the Pro-Pedernales Trust Fund and the Public-Private Alliances Agency.

Minister of the Presidency, Joel Santos Echavarría and the vice president of KAC, Young Gu Shin signed the agreement at the Presidential Palace. Present were Sigmund Freund, director of the Public-Private Alliane Agency; Deputy Minister for Economic Affairs and International Cooperation at the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Hugo Rivera; and the Second Secretary in charge of Political Affairs and Cooperation of Korea in the Dominican Republic, Seongbin Yeom.

KAC is a state-owned company comprehensively...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I can only hope that it is planned much better than the Punta Cana Bavaro tourist area where there appears to have been no town planning at all. I can not see why they are spending money at the Barahona airport which is only two hours from Pedernales but maybe Barahona will be only for internal trips . I am hoping that the bauxite mining will be stopped and the pier at Cabo Rojo can be cleaned up .Apart from the coral reefs the other close attraction is lake Enriquillo and its crocodiles . It would be a wonderful around the lake trip on Routes 46 and 48 but a better road would need to be made northwards from Pedernales .If this road and trip was planned I think that it would be unique in the entire Caribbean .. a touch of Central America but much better . We have not had a trip report on Lake Enriquillo for a long time , I think the last time the lake was rising alarmingly ,at least for farmers who were losing land .

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
That is a serious piece of infrastructure.

Barahona to Pedernales is a tough drive right now.
I would rather be able to fly around the country on a regional jet.
Cause my funds for private jet travel are low right now.

Maybe the improvements at Barahona airport are being made anticipation of short hop flights within (insert flag emoji for the Dominican Republic here)
Ya happy now...

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Nothing like a new airport to let the world know that you are ballin (insert emoji of basketball here) like a ************ pro!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am glad that the President is going to South Korea and I hope that this most successful nation can be persuaded to be involved more with projects in the DR. My concern with the developments in this area is with the planning . The area will be marketed for the natural beauty but it would be tragic if the natural beauty was destroyed by ribbon development, for example, which is destroying the east. Already there have been reports of fences going up to block views and access to beaches by owners who have acquired their land in the last decade and it would be sad if blocks of apartments were to be built in a higgledy piggledy way as is the case on the Caribbean coast of Colombia between Cartagena and Santa Marta.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought that was Sosua!
Sosua is the next smallish practically insignificant thing in comparison, certainly when it comes to revenue where Sosua is a drop in the ocean.
Anything in the same country that competes for tourist dollars will likely diminish north coast tourism even more. Just like Punta Cana decimated north coast tourism and the area switched to more long term residents.

The government is really into AI resorts, cruise ports and new airports, and that will be the new Pedernales. BIG revenue.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am glad that the President is going to South Korea and I hope that this most successful nation can be persuaded to be involved more with projects in the DR. My concern with the developments in this area is with the planning . The area will be marketed for the natural beauty but it would be tragic if the natural beauty was destroyed by ribbon development, for example, which is destroying the east. Already there have been reports of fences going up to block views and access to beaches by owners who have acquired their land in the last decade and it would be sad if blocks of apartments were to be built in a higgledy piggledy way as is the case on the Caribbean coast of Colombia between Cartagena and Santa Marta.
I fully expect all of your fears will actually be realized, since that is where the money lies.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sosua is the next smallish practically insignificant thing in comparison, certainly when it comes to revenue where Sosua is a drop in the ocean.
Anything in the same country that competes for tourist dollars will likely diminish north coast tourism even more. Just like Punta Cana decimated north coast tourism and the area switched to more long term residents.

The government is really into AI resorts, cruise ports and new airports, and that will be the new Pedernales. BIG revenue.
Interesting! I have been all over the island but never to that corner. Looks very remote.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Sousa was/is still the next big thing for him (the author of post #8).
He just has not realized that his obsession with Sosua is not shared by the majority of people visiting the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here) nor the membership of DR1.

Pedernales will add to the options available to visitors to the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here). And I do not believe it will diminish the tourists going to other places in (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here).

You used Punta Cana is used as an example. Punta Cana has a much better beaches than the north coast and offers a higher level of service. Free market competition is a beast. But in my opinion the best beaches that I have been to in the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here) are located in Las Galaras.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sousa was/is still the next big thing for him (the author of post #8).
He just has not realized that his obsession with Sosua is not shared by the majority of people visiting the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here) nor the membership of DR1.

Pedernales will add to the options available to visitors to the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here). And I do not believe it will diminish the tourists going to other places in (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here).

You used Punta Cana is used as an example. Punta Cana has a much better beaches than the north coast and offers a higher level of service. Free market competition is a beast. But in my opinion the best beaches that I have been to in the (insert emoji of the flag of the Dominican Republic here) are located in Las Galaras.
does this post mean you are going to send me yet another, PM in a bizarre attempt for a dialogue. Please don't.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
does this post mean you are going to send me yet another, PM in a bizarre attempt for a dialogue. Please don't.
No this does not mean that.
I have not communicated with you since you stated for me not contact you.

Why are you responding to my posts in the main forum if you are not seeking communicate with me?

You claim to be educated...maybe you need some more.
As you don't seem to understand the meaning of communicate or the words that you write.
You most certainly don't understand mine.
It would be better for you not to respond to them.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No this does not mean that.
I have not communicated with you since you stated for me not contact you.

Why are you responding to my posts in the main forum if you are not seeking communicate with me?

You claim to be educated...maybe you need some more.
As you don't seem to understand the meaning of communicate or the words that you write.
You most certainly don't understand mine.
It would be better for you not to respond to them.
I haven't been stalked since grade school, I guess I should be flattered. At least until I can figure out the "ignore" switch .

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I haven't been stalked since grade school, I guess I should be flattered. At least until I can figure out the "ignore" switch .
This is the third thread you have followed me to in order to troll me.
Yes you should figure out the "ignore" switch.
At least until you develop self control and the ability to stay on topic.
(insert laughing emoji here)