Statistic analysis of COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You are correct, Expat. Btw, nice handle. We accept the consequences of our actions. We are owners and heirs of our deeds, good and bad. That's the difference between the everything name your gringo rights folks and DR1 hard core mems. A cedi never guarantees you squat. Unless you're the lucky one who has paid enough police and other pertinent figures, to the point where they don't turn their backs on you when the well runs dry, you just need to accept the consequences of your life choices and stay chill. No one cares about your rights in the US of A , less in this place.
This is not about "rights"
Having been placed under abitrary
arrest for refusing to give a certain
group of scumbags my hard earned
cash, on more than one occasion, i'm
well aware of where i live and the fact
that i am a guess anywhere outside USA.
You make a good point however people
continue to push the narrative the government is doing this to save lives?
Sure, whatever helps you folks sleep at ninght.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
<< At what point in time are people supposed to live without the fear of being tossed into an overcrowed disgusting jail cell for being outside after 7pm? >>

I don't know. I guess the option is to leave to a place more accommodating to your needs. I don't like it, but decided to stay. So now, I don't think I have the right to complain. As a resident, I'm still a guest of the country.
I would recommend stay inside after 7pm
Solves the fear part.

When I have been outside during curfew, I were prepared to face the consequences

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would recommend stay inside after 7pm
Solves the fear part.

When I have been outside during curfew, I were prepared to face the consequences
Me too.
Local catch and release rate
according to my neighbors one
block over... 200 pesos. But
rest assured, this is about saving
lives.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I continue to love the curfew and will be sad to see it go.
Hey, just learned they gave us two extra hours extended curfew today,because of Mothers Day. The major were referenced as source.

Just arrived home after visiting grandmother and her neighbours. Lot of happy folks/kids playing, actually first day that resembled anything of the past after we got the curfew. Loud music, beer and happy people with kids playing all over.

Were there masks, no. Occasionally further in the direction of the center some with masks. Outside the barrio masks worn, but I saw a young gringo without mask (and shirt) walking the main street:eek: I would not have done that..But hell it’s a special day so police were not seen, at least for now.

Now it is going to be loud music and drinks at home I am told. Oh well, I have learned to like it.

Yes gringos at the beach bathing in the daytime are being chased by the police, one american friend told me. He were very lucky, his two kids rescued him from being jailed, empathy points from the police.

Young folks are really missing the dancing at clubs and disco, guess there will be a crowd when they opens.

Nobody are telling stories about sick people and deaths were I live, only heard about one bus driver that recovered some time ago.
Sure there must be cases, but none in the crowd mentioned the virus once.

Dont worry be Happy it seems.

Let us see how this goes, interesting times.

Sep 22, 2009
Hey, just learned they gave us two extra hours extended curfew today,because of Mothers Day. The major were referenced as source.

Just arrived home after visiting grandmother and her neighbours. Lot of happy folks/kids playing, actually first day that resembled anything of the past after we got the curfew. Loud music, beer and happy people with kids playing all over.

Were there masks, no. Occasionally further in the direction of the center some with masks. Outside the barrio masks worn, but I saw a young gringo without mask (and shirt) walking the main street:eek: I would not have done that..But hell it’s a special day so police were not seen, at least for now.

Now it is going to be loud music and drinks at home I am told. Oh well, I have learned to like it.

Yes gringos at the beach bathing in the daytime are being chased by the police, one american friend told me. He were very lucky, his two kids rescued him from being jailed, empathy points from the police.

Young folks are really missing the dancing at clubs and disco, guess there will be a crowd when they opens.

Nobody are telling stories about sick people and deaths were I live, only heard about one bus driver that recovered some time ago.

I assume Cab smells better these days. Last time I walked down the drag to Dicks in the AM the rats, garbage and smell of vomit, spilled beer was overwhelming.

• Wow
Reactions: etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I assume Cab smells better these days. Last time I walked down the drag to Dicks in the AM the rats, garbage and smell of vomit, spilled beer was overwhelming.
Maybe the vomiters have gone. Yes there are some smell from the sidewalks to the beach in the night when the fish restaurants are cleaning their stuff. Apart from that not much, I really have no problems with that either

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Maybe the vomiters have gone. Yes there are some smell from the sidewalks to the beach in the night when the fish restaurants are cleaning their stuff. Apart from that not much, I really have no problems with that either

And the garbage trucks has a weird timetable which I have not figured out. I pay for garbage removal and that seems to work were I live, and the beach restaurants. Seldom I need to use my spare tank which I do not pay for, they empty it anyway.
In the barrio were nobody pay, sometimes you pass smelly stuff. Quite often actually.

Sorry for the doble post, technical/lack of beer edit issue. Not my fault

Are we really posting in the correct thread?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Wow!
A whole two extra hours.
Great job! If you continue
to behave and listen to daddy,
next week we might give you
another two extra hours of play
time...

As for the Covid1984. I have
been asking my friends and
acquaintances all over the country
from Puerto Plata to Nagua, From
Santiago to the eastside of Santo Domingo.

Not a single person knows anyone who
has died of Covid, contracted Covid, or
suspected of having Covid.

At the same time, all of them have a
friend or family member who in dire
financial straights as a direct result
of this power and profits grab.

Reactions: j4yd4wg and etolw

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow!
A whole two extra hours.
Great job! If you continue
to behave and listen to daddy,
next week we might give you
another two extra hours of play
time...

As for the Covid1984. I have
been asking my friends and
acquaintances all over the country
from Puerto Plata to Nagua, From
Santiago to the eastside of Santo Domingo.

Not a single person knows anyone who
has died of Covid, contracted Covid, or
suspected of having Covid.

At the same time, all of them have a
friend or family member who in dire
financial straights as a direct result
of this power and profits grab.
I know four people here in Jarabacoa that have had the virus and recovered, and I know two that have got it on Long Island and recovered. I also know three Dominicans that have died in NYC from the virus.

Reactions: CristoRey
Sep 22, 2009
I know four people here in Jarabacoa that have had the virus and recovered, and I know two that have got it on Long Island and recovered. I also know three Dominicans that have died in NYC from the virus.
That's an amazing statistic, Bob. Interesting you are of very few whom happen to know so many. I know one cop in Jersey but he never had the test! Hmmmm. Here in R of D know of not one and my network is not small

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's an amazing statistic, Bob. Interesting you are of very few whom happen to know so many. I know one cop in Jersey but he never had the test! Hmmmm. Here in R of D know of not one and my network is not small
Many of our students have at least one parent working in the states, main NY and NJ. Two of the people I know were fathers of students, both in their late 30s. The other is a woman that my wife and I have done a number of vacation trips with, She had worked at Macy's in Manhattan for thirty years. My wife and her were life-long friends.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Many of our students have at least one parent working in the states, main NY and NJ. Two of the people I know were fathers of students, both in their late 30s. The other is a woman that my wife and I have done a number of vacation trips with, She had worked at Macy's in Manhattan for thirty years. My wife and her were life-long friends.
New York and New Jersey?
No offfense but I'm not concerned
about either of those (once great)
states. I am talking about the people
down here, as I have been talking to
people down here for months and no
one seems to know anyone who contracted
or died from Covid down here in the DR.
Yesterday I asked a Red Cross ambulance
nurse (Santiago) who lives in my neighborhood
if he has transported anyone to the hospital sick
with Covid and to my surprise he said no.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
New York and New Jersey?
No offfense but I'm not concerned
about either of those (once great)
states. I am talking about the people
down here, as I have been talking to
people down here for months and no
one seems to know anyone who contracted
or died from Covid down here in the DR.
Yesterday I asked a Red Cross ambulance
nurse (Santiago) who lives in my neighborhood
if he has transported anyone to the hospital sick
with Covid and to my surprise he said no.
Well it is a little different here in Jarabacoa because my wife has several hundred relatives here, and we have around a 1000 students so lots of contact with a lot of people, plus around 60 employees. We know many of the doctors and nurses as well. I did say we know four people here in Jarabacoa that have had the virus and recovered. As far as I know , nobody from Jarabacoa has died from the virus out of around 120 infected.

j4yd4wg

May 11, 2020
Sosua
it’s depressing to see the lethality rate at less than 3% for the country, and Puerto plata, so high, at more than double the national average (around 7%). Yes, next door, in Espaillat is super low.

The amount of testing is so inconsistent, you cannot look at 'rate' of anything reliably. The only thing that is reliable is to see if the 'daily deaths' is going up or down. There could easily be 30x more people in the country who are 'positive' but no symptoms, thus the fatality rate could be 30x less. Or in 3 days they get a shipment of tests and decide to test twice as many people that day and thus find twice as many positive cases and then the news will spin it like the virus is on the rise.

Would be nice if they published '% of total tests today that resulted in positive'. That would be a more reliable number...

Reactions: austriaco

j4yd4wg

May 11, 2020
Sosua
Once the SOE is lifted.
There are laws.
Laws need to be adhered to, whether we believe in them or not, or like them or not.
There is another nation that is currently showing you in live time what happens when people do not adhere to laws.

Curious what law is that? Which book of the penal code, what paragraph / section?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Curious what law is that? Which book of the penal code, what paragraph / section?

I do not want to take away from the excellent work Señor Saladin has been providing for the community by derailing this thread line, so I will answer your question briefly. Any further questions you may have, may be better situated in the other Covid-19 related thread lines.

In short, The State of Emergency act curtails the right to transit and gather, and other civil rights. The State of Emergency is provided for in the Dominican Constitution (Arts. 262, 265 and 266). Requested by the President, approved by the Senate, passed by the Congress.
We have been in this SOE since 19 March, as the cycle has repeated itself several times. Today is 1 June.
Welcome to the forum.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019

I know one nurse that got the virus in the states and recovered, no Dominicans, but i'm in the opposite boat with a small network of acquaintances.

jsaladin

Apr 4, 2020
REPORT#64

Hello, community, thank you very much for your comments. I have read them and I like to see how you exchange ideas to clarify the information that is circulating. Here you will find the report # 64 updated on 6/2, to consult click here.

If you wish to receive this report periodically in your email, please fill out this form (click here) and I will add it to the mailing list.

I hope you all are doing well.

Best regards,

Juan Saladín
Quality Manager at Guzmán Ariza

Reactions: Caonabo
Status
Not open for further replies.