Stay away from Jose O'Shay's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As I don't eat fish myself, I am not sure of the following, but I understand that one must not eat fish around these parts during months without "R" in them, that is to say, May 'till the end of August.
Those would be the months when one is most likely to get coral poisoiniong from our local tropical fish.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
As I don't eat fish myself, I am not sure of the following, but I understand that one must not eat fish around these parts during months without "R" in them, that is to say, May 'till the end of August.
Those would be the months when one is most likely to get coral poisoiniong from our local tropical fish.

I first thought that the story was an 'urban legend' or something such like... but then I figured, it is high summer, difficult to keep the fish on ice, water temperatures are high, so, chances are that something will get contaminated somewhere. Still don't know what the real significance is, but I follow it... And also, I've not felt comfortable buying fish anywhere, e.g. Playero.. Not too sure if it remained frozen until the time that I buy it, or gets defrosted a time or two before I buy..

Fresh fish, I see them catch it or spear it, and buy it on the beach. That's the way to go..

Btw, did you know, as much as 75% of the DR's seafood is imported.

Oh yes, Jose O'Sheas... as far as management is concerned, there is also a 'bait and switch'. If you have anything to complain about, the father or son 'who manages the restaurant', happens not to be there at that moment. It is always 'the other one'.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
In the warm Caribbean...

ciguatera (fish poisoning) is prevalent year round. The "R" thing really only applies to shellfish (oysters) in the southern US. The trick is not to eat ANY fish that nibble on coral (the source of the poison) OR any predator fish that feed on the coral-nibbling, tropical reef dwellers. Examples are parrot fish (an absolute no-no for consumption despite being widely sold to unsuspecting tourists) or the fish that eat them such as barracuda or large grouper (meru) or large snappers (chillo). Notice I said LARGE as the smaller grouper and snapper are usually safe. The reason the smaller fish are OK is that the poison is cumulative in nature and has to reach a certain level before it's poisonous to humans.

From the symptoms the poster described, I would tend to lean more toward common food poisoning rather than ciguatera which affects the nervous system and can stay with you for years. The restaurant is probably using old cooking oil which is probably the most common source of the contamination.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Andy B said:
ciguatera (fish poisoning) is prevalent year round. The "R" thing really only applies to shellfish (oysters) in the southern US. The trick is not to eat ANY fish that nibble on coral (the source of the poison) OR any predator fish that feed on the coral-nibbling, tropical reef dwellers. Examples are parrot fish (an absolute no-no for consumption despite being widely sold to unsuspecting tourists) or the fish that eat them such as barracuda or large grouper (meru) or large snappers (chillo). Notice I said LARGE as the smaller grouper and snapper are usually safe. The reason the smaller fish are OK is that the poison is cumulative in nature and has to reach a certain level before it's poisonous to humans.

From the symptoms the poster described, I would tend to lean more toward common food poisoning rather than ciguatera which affects the nervous system and can stay with you for years. The restaurant is probably using old cooking oil which is probably the most common source of the contamination.

Good post, for example The Bahamas has basically the same concepts with local food. While people eat small Barracuda (usually with a note like 'eat at your own risk' attached) - Only difference I see is Parrotfish -this is a big no-no in The Bahamas due to the high possibly of fish poisoning.

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
R in The Month

Rocky said:

I thought this was World Wide. As a Child in England I was always taught - NO "R" NO SHELL FISH and that's some 55 years ago. Plus a few years to know what my mother was saying!!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The old manager from The Waterfront was managing this spot at one time. Is he still there?
Chris said:
I first thought that the story was an 'urban legend' or something such like... but then I figured, it is high summer, difficult to keep the fish on ice, water temperatures are high, so, chances are that something will get contaminated somewhere. Still don't know what the real significance is, but I follow it... And also, I've not felt comfortable buying fish anywhere, e.g. Playero.. Not too sure if it remained frozen until the time that I buy it, or gets defrosted a time or two before I buy..

Fresh fish, I see them catch it or spear it, and buy it on the beach. That's the way to go..

Btw, did you know, as much as 75% of the DR's seafood is imported.

Oh yes, Jose O'Sheas... as far as management is concerned, there is also a 'bait and switch'. If you have anything to complain about, the father or son 'who manages the restaurant', happens not to be there at that moment. It is always 'the other one'.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Criss Colon said:
But "WHO" would be stupid enough to fall for the old "Mero for "Fish and Chips" scam?? Maybe thats what is meant by "Bait and Switch"??? And then to pay for the "MERO", :cry:
Like P.T.Barnum said;"There is a sucker born every minute"!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc :tired: :cross-eye

stop calling people stupid... if someone doesn't know the scams of
crooked businessess then they should be called stupid.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
OP - good post

A little naive perhaps - and if you'd gotten to DR1.com a bit sooner, this may have been avoided - but a good post indeed.

Part of the problem is that they (the owners) are East coast Philadelphians and they are in it for business, not to make any friends. They reproduce (or at least did when the fluctuation was insane) their menus daily, and make sure to keep profit maintained. They've put together a very nice property and aim to get every centavo they can from every gullible tourist they can. Consider yourself part of the crowd (disenchanted).

(onasidenote) After their BEagles lost the Super Bowl last year, I think they wanted to kill everyone. Slowly. ;)

After reading your report, it brought me back to the the last time I ate there. It was at the end of a long weekend and we were on our way home shortly after dining.

We took the scenic route back to SD - the one with all the steeps and bends. I lost my lunch in the first real sharp hairpin as you get over the top of the mtn. Even though this is over a year later, I bet I could still find its remains, it was epic. My two friends in the car lost all control and were crying from laughter. The sounds of the projectiles - and my heaving - were echoing along the cordillera.

I begged them to stop, but they were so entertained by my one-arm-ralphing-maneuver............... I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone laugh so hard. They eventually did stop because the hilarity had overcome them. Good friends they were.

I don't recall what I ordered, but I put it in through the owner who said he'd make sure it was done correctly (leaning on my previous experiences there, I made it a point with him). Sure enough, I ordered ham and got turkey - something like that.

When the bill came, I left it there and gave a wave, knowing it was my "last meal".

Anyway, I'm sorry this shathole ruined your vacation. This post should serve well to the masses, in the future.

I'd recommend the pizzas at Lax. Actually, just about anything at Lax. I've almost lived there for a week at a time and they didn't even charge me rent, just drinks.

I'd eat my left arm to have a beer in one of their rope hammocks, right now.

Stick to rice and beans. Can't go wrong, AND, it keeps the air moving.

Cleef said:
I'd recommend the pizzas at Lax. Actually, just about anything at Lax. I've almost lived there for a week at a time and they didn't even charge me rent, just drinks.

Now I agree the pizza at LAX is great, but I order Ceasars there, very good and wanted more and no waitress around, went inside and order another batch and paid for 1st and second batch, she said the elctronic till was messed up, when I went to leave they wanted me to pay again foir the 1st batch, girl inside said she received nothing for the first round only second round, lied through her teeth, I paid them and told them that would be our last ******* stop there. So beware of your bills, never a problem at other places.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
i eat and drink at lax semi-frequently. not enough to be recognized by the staff or anything. i've never had any qualms with the bill. service a little slow, but hey... it's lax. great food. overall a great experience. hate to see them get slammed, they've been great to me and some guests i've taken there.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
No more personal attacks!
Thats it, I just had the last word.

If you tempt any more words in this direction, you will be rewarded with points.

Thanks
Tim H.:smoke:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hlywud said:
Now I agree the pizza at LAX is great, but I order Ceasars there, very good and wanted more and no waitress around, went inside and order another batch and paid for 1st and second batch, she said the elctronic till was messed up, when I went to leave they wanted me to pay again foir the 1st batch, girl inside said she received nothing for the first round only second round, lied through her teeth, I paid them and told them that would be our last ******* stop there. So beware of your bills, never a problem at other places.

Yes, LAX pizza as well as ceasar salads are great. Usually there are no problems with the bills there, only when some of the wait staff get overcome by I'm sure the pleasant ambiance and get quite .. uhm .. high.. Then the bill may be 'legitimately' messed up - and no-one remembers a thing! But they do not have a policy of messing up the bills.

It's a good place to spend a slow afternoon on the beach over a pitcher of barfly's. After that, the bill does not really matter to anyone..

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
IMHO, if you want good seafood then visit Papillon in Confresi. Some of us got together last weekend for a wonderful meal and my mouth is still watering just from thinking about it. A nice change from most of the other dives here in POP.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cleef said:
A little naive perhaps - and if you'd gotten to DR1.com a bit sooner, this may have been avoided - but a good post indeed.

Part of the problem is that they (the owners) are East coast Philadelphians and they are in it for business, not to make any friends. They reproduce (or at least did when the fluctuation was insane) their menus daily, and make sure to keep profit maintained. They've put together a very nice property and aim to get every centavo they can from every gullible tourist they can. Consider yourself part of the crowd (disenchanted).

(onasidenote) After their BEagles lost the Super Bowl last year, I think they wanted to kill everyone. Slowly. ;)

After reading your report, it brought me back to the the last time I ate there. It was at the end of a long weekend and we were on our way home shortly after dining.

We took the scenic route back to SD - the one with all the steeps and bends. I lost my lunch in the first real sharp hairpin as you get over the top of the mtn. Even though this is over a year later, I bet I could still find its remains, it was epic. My two friends in the car lost all control and were crying from laughter. The sounds of the projectiles - and my heaving - were echoing along the cordillera.

I begged them to stop, but they were so entertained by my one-arm-ralphing-maneuver............... I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone laugh so hard. They eventually did stop because the hilarity had overcome them. Good friends they were.

I don't recall what I ordered, but I put it in through the owner who said he'd make sure it was done correctly (leaning on my previous experiences there, I made it a point with him). Sure enough, I ordered ham and got turkey - something like that.

When the bill came, I left it there and gave a wave, knowing it was my "last meal".

Anyway, I'm sorry this shathole ruined your vacation. This post should serve well to the masses, in the future.

It is 8:15 am and I didn't want to wake 100% yet. You crack me up but ruin my morning rest!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
Yes, LAX pizza as well as ceasar salads are great. Usually there are no problems with the bills there, only when some of the wait staff get overcome by I'm sure the pleasant ambiance and get quite .. uhm .. high.. Then the bill may be 'legitimately' messed up - and no-one remembers a thing! But they do not have a policy of messing up the bills.

It's a good place to spend a slow afternoon on the beach over a pitcher of barfly's. After that, the bill does not really matter to anyone..
I also like LAX or Pomodora just towards Sosua from LAX on the corner of the walkway.

I never had a problem with anything in LAX and always like their choices in wait staff. They are always a unique and interesting looking lot.

Never had a bad meal or trouble with a bill there. Perhaps I am just lucky but this is over the course of years!

As far as the rest of the places on the beach goes there is nothing there for me.

Escott

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
My girlfriend worked in Jose O'shays untill may and never recieved this fabulous bill changing, bait and switch training that Chris states to be such hardcore fact. She worked at Lax previously to that too and correct there was none of it there either. IMHO both are over priced but entirely edible. Same goes for most of Cabarete but hey there are a few gems.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Originally Posted by NellyThe old manager from The Waterfront was managing this spot at one time. Is he still there?

Yes, he works at O?Shay?s now. His name is Arilio and he works days there. He also works at Joseph?s Restaurant on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at night. This restaurant is at Sosua by the; Sea.

He is a very good restaurant man and I cannot believe he would be involved in any deceptive practice.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Health Inspections

What are the chances that the Dominican Republic will set up a program with honest health inspectors to check the sanitary conditions of restaurants and post their findings at the restaurant like they do in the states anytime during my lifetime? I think it would be a great idea for them, especially in tourist areas. The other possibility is a voluntary organization with someone who has experience in this field giving restaurants a mark of approval after an inspection. Any volunteers?

Status
Not open for further replies.