Stay away from Jose O'Shay's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Only in Jose O'shea's ...

Nicky and I used to take our guests there as a way of letting them get used to the DR gently. One time Nicky and I ordered a burger each. Hers was supposed to be cooked "medium". Half way through eating it, she reached the middle and it was RAW. She called the waitress over and quite rightly complained. Now there's a right way and a wrong way for any establishment to deal with this problem - what do you think they did in O'Sheas?

- Answer - They took away her plate, removed the half eaten burger from the bun, put it back on the grill and continued to cook it. Twenty minutes later her plate was returned stone cold with a warmed up burger stuffed back between the teeth marks in the bun.

NEVER, EVER, AGAIN - The hygene issues in that one episode are enough to make you go veggie - You would have to pay me before I ate there again, it's a shambles and should be shut down for its lamentable practices.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jose O'Shays owners = azzholes from Philidelphia

Chris said:
It must be going on two years that all (most of) the locals in Cabarete have been boycotting Jose O'Sheas. I've chatted with Frank about this and he is focused on tourist business - easy come, easy go. He is not focused on local trade.

The waitresses are taught the 'mero' trick... they are also 'taught' to bring the more expensive drinks. They are also 'taught' exactly what to do with the bill to make it way higher than expected. Charge an extra round (by mistake), drop a few extra drinks on there (by mistake), and so on and so on. Mostly, with tourists, they pay. Once, we were a few people coming and going at one table, and each of the 'comers' and 'goers' paid their bills. This did not stop this fine establishment to bring me all the bills at the end of the night, and ask for another payment. We'll, it did not work, but the sad thing was, that the waitress got fired.

They make a dynamite blue cheese burger... (or did two years ago). Not even for that will I eat or drink there ever again. Ever paid US$7.00 for an agua de coco - in the shell?

If this is true then something more than 'locals boycott' should be done. Why should tourists be subjected to all this underhanded bullshittt? They should be warned; somehow. If Jose O'Shays started losing a percentage of their buisness, I am sure they would change their antics.

Larry

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Larry said:
If this is true then something more than 'locals boycott' should be done. Why should tourists be subjected to all this underhanded bullshittt? They should be warned; somehow. If Jose O'Shays started losing a percentage of their buisness, I am sure they would change their antics.
Besides on DR1, how do you propose to warn tourists?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
rellosk said:
Besides on DR1, how do you propose to warn tourists?

Maybe someone can come up with an idea. At least the thread on here is a good start. I think DR1 reaches a broader audience than most people realize.

Larry

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Talking about health issues with restaurants. About two years ago a Dr. friend of mine was here from S.D. He had a device to check the water content. He went to several restaurants in Cabarete, big name ones. He ordered a glass of water with his meal and checked it. Not bottled water, but a glass of water.

Every restaurant served contaminated water. Never drink water in any restaurant that is not in a bottle! However, you would think they would use the large containers of water, but these ones that he tested did not.

By the way, he tested the large containers of water and they are perfect to drink. I had him test X-Ray, as I use this in my house. It is fine.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SKY said:
Talking about health issues with restaurants. About two years ago a Dr. friend of mine was here from S.D. He had a device to check the water content. He went to several restaurants in Cabarete, big name ones. He ordered a glass of water with his meal and checked it. Not bottled water, but a glass of water.

Every restaurant served contaminated water. Never drink water in any restaurant that is not in a bottle!
What kind of contaminates? I'd be interested in hearing more about this device.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This device looks like a pen. It scoops up water and give a number out. Less than 40 is drinkable. The water in the restaurants averaged 260. For example, 0 would be perfect. The water in the large containers measured 003. This is perfect to drink, according to the Dr. friend of mine.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
SKY said:
About two years ago a Dr. friend of mine was here from S.D. He had a device to check the water content.
..............he tested the large containers of water and they are perfect to drink. I had him test X-Ray, as I use this in my house. It is fine.

Not on my life!
Sent a sample of Bottled water to lab, State-side for testing, yeach, confirmed ground water from the Port, heavy metals and all.
You would be amazed, where some of those large 5 gallon bottles of water are processed!!!!!!!!!!!

X-Ray won't take out metals or minerals.

Thats why I stick to Pasteurized and Homogenized, Presidente!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pocket pen conductivity testers or some kind of PH meter, no thank you!
My wand already glows in the dark from a faulty dosimeter, I was just to rad for my own good. :knockedou

Tim H:smoke:

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can only speak of my own experience with this topic. I was living in a house with a well for water. The owner of the house told me this water was potable. He was from Switzerland and I figured he knew.

I kept getting sick and attributed it to other means. This Dr. friend tested the water from the well and found it to be no good to drink. He tested the bottled water, also the ice you buy in the stores. They were both good. Since that day I only drink X-Ray water and I have never been sick like this again. This was over two years ago.

Also, another Swiss guy who paid 2 or 3 thousand dollars for a purification system in his expensive house brought some water to be tested. It was as bad as the tap water.

By the way you may know this Dr. He is Chinese and worked in Servi-Med at the time doing acupuncture.. Also Dr.Chan who still works at Servi-Med knows all about these tests as he was there also.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
SKY said:
This device looks like a pen. It scoops up water and give a number out. Less than 40 is drinkable. The water in the restaurants averaged 260. For example, 0 would be perfect. The water in the large containers measured 003. This is perfect to drink, according to the Dr. friend of mine.
If the item was, as is speculated by Stodgord, a TDS (Total Disolved Solids) meter then your numbers make no sense.

Here is the "Summary of Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality" from April 2004 and TDS is listed only under "Aesthetic Objectives" which means that it is NOT a health issue but an issue with whether the water is pleasing to the taste and the objective is less than or equal to 500 mg/L (page 6 of www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/water/pdf/summary.pdf ) which also happens to be 500 ppm.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
FireGuy said:
If the item was, as is speculated by Stodgord, a TDS (Total Disolved Solids) meter then your numbers make no sense.

Here is the "Summary of Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality" from April 2004 and TDS is listed only under "Aesthetic Objectives" which means that it is NOT a health issue but an issue with whether the water is pleasing to the taste and the objective is less than or equal to 500 mg/L (page 6 of www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/water/pdf/summary.pdf ) which also happens to be 500 ppm.

Gregg
Absolutely true. Mercury in a few parts per million is toxic. Also the meter does not test for bacteria, viruses or parasites. But it will indicate if the water is going to be appetizing.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
SKY said:
Originally Posted by NellyThe old manager from The Waterfront was managing this spot at one time. Is he still there?

Yes, he works at O?Shay?s now. His name is Arilio and he works days there. He also works at Joseph?s Restaurant on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at night. This restaurant is at Sosua by the; Sea.

He is a very good restaurant man and I cannot believe he would be involved in any deceptive practice.

Arilio, that's him. I'm not so good with names. He is from Los Castillos and he is a very, very nice man.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I cannot believe that he would be involved in this either.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
wight-boy said:
My girlfriend worked in Jose O'shays untill may and never recieved this fabulous bill changing, bait and switch training that Chris states to be such hardcore fact. She worked at Lax previously to that too and correct there was none of it there either. IMHO both are over priced but entirely edible. Same goes for most of Cabarete but hey there are a few gems.

I would take a guess that your girlfriend did not work there a very long time... like more than 6 months... Anyways, I'll believe you even better if you bring me one, just one person with a billing mistake that was not in Jose O'Shays favor... There is a reason that the locals are boycotting.. we're not all unable to count and add up.. (I don't mean to sound aggressive, I just know what I'm talking about in this instance). Also, it may be a scheme run by the waitstaff and management may be none the wiser. Somehow, I doubt it.

And Yes, there still are a few gems in Cabarete. ;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
buyer beware

Larry said:
Maybe someone can come up with an idea. At least the thread on here is a good start. I think DR1 reaches a broader audience than most people realize.Larry
Not many people are going to be looking for dining advice - the casual beach type we're referring to - on dr1.com. At least not the majority that are coming here for the first (few) times.

That being said, to make this a more user-friendly/useful post, let's review what we've learned.

Hlywud said:
Now I agree the pizza at LAX is great, but I order Ceasars there, very good and wanted more and no waitress around, went inside and order another batch and paid for 1st and second batch, she said......
1. Never ever EVER pay for something you have yet to receive. That goes for EVERYTHING, without exception. Wud would, and wouldn't you know it, Wud now knows who wouldn't.

2. Never drink the water. If you didn't know this already, well, Darwin's theory is going to get you soon enough anyhow, so drink up.

3. When you're in a tourist spot for a spell, open your eyes and look at what the locals do.

People who've been to the rodeo before will build a cache of food and booze and bring it with them. There's at least one very good option (mini-supermarket) at the southeastern middle/end of the strip.

It's by no means a huge chore to walk from the beach to get yourself a screaming cold beer from this mini-mercado, and walk back (paying 1/3 the price). That's why they invented flip-flops?to get you to the beer cooler without getting your feet dirty. You can take a different route from the beach through the storefronts each time and find nooks you otherwise may have not seen.

Jose Oshay's is not the place a local should go looking for a deal. They're a tourist spot only.

If you're a tourist, go have a drink, it's a great spot, usually a lively crowd and definitely sports driven?but be wary beyond that. I liked the people there a lot. However, I'm not surprised by the trumped up charges, and as far as who to blame I'm not concerned. But, if it's a scam and it's giong into the owner's pocket then there certainly is very little incentive for the labor to push something like that. If it's the labor, which is more likely the case, then that's easy to squash as well. I have a hard time believing the previous post about it being a dedicated scam; small town, huge chisme...doesn't seem plausible.

And, if you're going to LAX or wherever, don't expect to have waitstaff catering to your every whim. They're surfers and stoners; they can remember high tides and swell heights, not drink orders?or how you wanted your dressing on the side and no tomatoes.

If you want that service go to an all-inclusive with the rest of the couch-weary pale-faces.

As for the DR implementing a testing system of food quality, like an FDA...umm, Buddy, you should keep drinking the water.

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
and the Shis-ka-bobs

Tor said:
Best place to go for Mero is Scandinavian Bar at Sosua Beach. Delicious Mero filets served with boiled potatoes and Carrots. Don't remember the price, but think it's 300 pesos a portion. Never got sick there.

Tom's Shish-ka-bobs are also fantastic at the Scandanavian Bar! His prices are pretty fair also. Stay the heck away from a tourist trap if you don't want to be ripped off. Most people that live here stay away from Cabarete!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My favorite lunch is also The chicken kabob @ Skandanavian Bar.
He also makes great homemade mashed potatoes.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Good ka-bobs

Tom is there except for Mondays, he takes off. Sit under his umbrella table and drink some and chat some with him. He is a retired merchant marine and has been all around the world! Great conversations!!!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
Tom is there except for Mondays, he takes off. Sit under his umbrella table and drink some and chat some with him. He is a retired merchant marine and has been all around the world! Great conversations!!!

Tom is in Norway for the summer, won't returning before the end of september. Elisabeth, also Norwegian, runs the bar / restaurant in the meantime.

Cleef is right

Cleef said:
1. Never ever EVER pay for something you have yet to receive. That goes for EVERYTHING, without exception. Wud would, and wouldn't you know it, Wud now knows who wouldn't.

Wud did receive his second batch of ceasars, so he paid for them, he should never have paid for the first batch, his mistake. I will only assume that the girl inside pocketed the payment for the first batch.

Wud won't do it again, he will just tell them to add it to his bill. By the way I was there with a group of about a dozen ex pats, many from this board and the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.