Stay away from Jose O'Shay's

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Tamborista said:
My favorite lunch is also The chicken kabob @ Skandanavian Bar.
He also makes great homemade mashed potatoes.

Skandanavian bar is in cabarete?
i only been to cabarete once (for 1 day) and do
not know places in cabar.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
THE GAME said:
Skandanavian bar is in cabarete?
i only been to cabarete once (for 1 day) and do
not know places in cabar.
The thread got a bit sidetracked.
The Scandinavian bar is on Sosua beach.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
After reading some of the responses here, I'd like to clarify a few things. JoseO'Sheas is a tourist hang-out.. their business is not focused on residents. After a few comments in this thread, I'd like to say I have nothing against this restaurant, or its owners, or the sons, or the manager, or the staff. We meet greet and talk to one another where-ever we run into one another. The owner knows of the complaints of residents who used to eat there regularly but no longer eat there. He is aware as it is not a hidden thing, but spoken about. This however is not the business that he is aiming for. For that, I need to give him credit - he is focused on the business that he wants to do and we cannot blame him for that. There are no hard feelings and no bad vibes. If he improves his prices (perhaps a resident's menu), and fixes the problem of continual overcharging and persistent wrong charging, I'll certainly be back for a burger. JoseO'Sheas burgers are really really good.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
After reading some of the responses here, I'd like to clarify a few things. JoseO'Sheas is a tourist hang-out.. their business is not focused on residents. After a few comments in this thread, I'd like to say I have nothing against this restaurant, or its owners, or the sons, or the manager, or the staff. We meet greet and talk to one another where-ever we run into one another. The owner knows of the complaints of residents who used to eat there regularly but no longer eat there. He is aware as it is not a hidden thing, but spoken about. This however is not the business that he is aiming for. For that, I need to give him credit - he is focused on the business that he wants to do and we cannot blame him for that. There are no hard feelings and no bad vibes. If he improves his prices (perhaps a resident's menu), and fixes the problem of continual overcharging and persistent wrong charging, I'll certainly be back for a burger. JoseO'Sheas burgers are really really good.

Chris,
What your post says to me is that the owner of this establishment are pretty much saying, " well YOU know I am a scumbag and I have been a scumbag to you in the past but no hard feelings. I really target a different clientel to 'scumbag' but you just happened to get caught in my web".

I refuse to eat in a place that intentionally attempts to decieve it's patrons. There are plenty of honest places I can get a good burger.

Larry

mami

Mar 16, 2004
just some info.

Criss Colon said:
Shame on you for being so naive.Secondly,I never take too seriously a post by anyone who "Knows" where they got "Food Poisoning".(Maybe it was "Someone" you ate",not "Something"!)
Thirdly,since this is your first post,and it is only to "Bad Mouth" a restaurant where you were foolish enough to overpay,and that according only to you,I really take the whole post with a "Grain-of-Salt"!!!!!!
If you had several hundred miscellaneous posts to your credit on DR1 I might give you some "credit",but just this post,no way!Too much "garbage" on the internet to take anything seriously!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

persons who get food poisoning know where the got it from because the symptoms following almost right away. my doctor said sometimes as soon as 1 hour. usually within 2 to 6 hours.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001652.htm

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
More like the Jose owner saying " I won't see these people again so I will screw them for all they are worth. "

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Covering your arse is what I think.

Chris said:
That's crap. Giving them credit will ruin your FICO score.

Duh. Of course he has to focus on the tourist industry, he'd be buried otherwise.

However, he could also NOT be a moron and treat the locals like customers too. Is that really too much to ask?

It's pretty simple, every "local menu" request goes through 'him' (the two owners). Everything stays the same except the local gets the bill with xx% deducted.

With this approach the owner knows all, and also gets an idea of who is in his place eating/drinking. The more often you come, the better the relationship gets. Everyone gains from this; the staff gets tipped on gross, owner makes a smaller % but gets good (karma if you will) returns on word-of-mouth, a larger client base and gets to know more people.

I've never run a rest. but I can't imagine that first screwing your clientele, then poisining them is going to get you very far. That's not how they do it on IRON CHEF. Julia Child just flipped her pancakes in her grave.

I'm not at all ashamed to say that the owners are (for the most part) my kind of people. I enjoyed them very much. I didn't however do any business with them other than offer to bet them the bar that their BEagles would lose to my NEPatriots in last year's SuperBowl. If their bite matched their bark, we wouldn't be having this discussion because I'd be driving that ship.

Also, just keep in mind, this is their second island. You want some smelly mero, find out the rest of that story. The reason, from what I understand, may in fact be "chisme", but I don't believe it was a voluntary decision.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You're a very funny American dude... I enjoy your posts... I have to laugh at some of it... But truly, some of it I have no clue what the hell you're talking about... What is a fico score? I saw Julia Child first time in my life when she was about 101 and needed two sous chefs to keep the show going. I have it on good authority that she was great in her time.... never saw that but bought a few books nevertheless... Superbowl, something that I read about in a Novel once and some folks invited me to watch on Television in my time in the US - once I won the pool but donated the money... never really figured what it was about... Quite boring really. Yes, I like the owners... Yes I know the story, Yes I've heard about 'the other place' in the Virgins... Never saw it when I was there...

What I do know about, is ethical business practice and a balanced view. What I don't know about, is covering my ***... I don't really care. And I really don't understand what "chisme" is.. never seen that word. What I do know about, is being screwed a few times in a row... first time, OK, we'll let it go, 2nd time, well this is a little too much... 3rd time, where the hell is the manager/owner whoever. And then get the story, the real story.

Nevermind all the above... the thing is simple. Screw the tourist for all you can get, as the tourist will go away and the complaints will be similar to peee'ing in the ocean. This is universal marketing and customer care on the Costa Norte. I just hate it when the fellow who does it makes good burgers. It means I have to deprive myself for a principle. Yeah Gods!

Oh, I forgot to say... every request goes through the 'two' owners -- well, I don't think this is feasible. One of the three is either drunk or into some babes. But, what the heck.. we're in the Caribbean. Live and let live!

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No worries

Chris said:
But, what the heck.. we're in the Caribbean. Live and let live!
"We're" not there anymore. But right on!

FICO is the "Fair Isaac Credit ....." something or other. It's the numer that drives your credit rating. Basically, the slavemasters of the old south, in numerical form.

"Chisme" - as far as I recall - is gossip.

*At the very least, Jose's should serve penicilin and toilet paper with their entrees.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I've watched more than one game at O'Shay's. Fortunately (I see that now) I only had the nachos and cuba libre ad libitum.
Walked out of there shitfaced and probably paid too much (I see that now too).
But this thread has done it for me. So long O'Shay's.....

A side note:
The 'locals menu deal' runs in other restaurants in Cabarete.
I was buying some take away thai food from that little place in the westernmost alley to the beach. The name of the place escapes me. I didn't know a 'locals menu deal' existed (it's not like they post it anywhere) but when I opened my wallet to pay for the food they saw my cedula and instantly gave me 15% off. Nice service! ;)

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
sorry to be so picayune but...

Wineclubs said:
I thought this was World Wide. As a Child in England I was always taught - NO "R" NO SHELL FISH and that's some 55 years ago. Plus a few years to know what my mother was saying!!

isn't the correct english, "me mammy" ?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bok said:
I was buying some take away thai food from that little place in the westernmost alley to the beach. The name of the place escapes me. I didn't know a 'locals menu deal' existed (it's not like they post it anywhere) but when I opened my wallet to pay for the food they saw my cedula and instantly gave me 15% off. Nice service! ;)
Now that's how to run a business. Does anyone know the name of that restaurant?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Bok said:
I've watched more than one game at O'Shay's. Fortunately (I see that now) I only had the nachos and cuba libre ad libitum.
Walked out of there shitfaced and probably paid too much (I see that now too).
But this thread has done it for me. So long O'Shay's.....

A side note:

The Voodoo Lounge practices this for example. When they know you aren't a tourist they reduce the price of their drinks for you!

harleyhoney

Apr 17, 2008
Jose's O'Shays

I find the food at Jose's good, depends on what you order. Nachos are awesome. And the drinks are great. Ambience, and waitresses are wonderful. The owner is a jerk, and I told him so St. Paddy's day March 17, 2007. He wanted to kick me out, beach included, and I told him to shut his fat yankee bigotted mouth. It ended up this fat hog, apologized to me, I had the support of the locals he did not.
I will be back at Jose in just a few days. Casonova's is really nice place to eat. And done a back road you will find the best schnitzel.

I would never say the service in this place was bad, we always got treated with excellent service, and the waitresses are friends now. I guess it is all in how you present yourself too.

I also would not pay for what I did not order, nor eat it, I would get what I ordered, and nothing else.. but if I ate the steak instead of the burger, you should pay for what you ate, regardless of what you ordered, you ate the damn thing, pay for it.

Oh and Forum Whore, I am going to use that line.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Ok, I know I am going to get BLASTED here. But as a Chef. You cannot get food poising in 24 hours. However, there are many other types of intestine track infections that can up. Most are water bore. Or from under cook meat or by cross contamination. Even in your home. Never handle cooked meat with the same fork you have used on raw meat. Wash your hands. Most likely the sickness was caused by lack of proper hand washing or a clean counter surface. Not from the food itself. Voice of expericence 30 years in the food business.

Status
Not open for further replies.