stomach and gut - Parasites

J

John Evans

RD$280 for 3 tablets I was expecting liquid - things always seem very expensive in the pharmacy (chemists...lol) in Sosua
I think im keeping the economy going here RD$ 400 for a haircut and RD$ 200 for a motorconcho ride

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
RD$280 for 3 tablets I was expecting liquid - things always seem very expensive in the pharmacy (chemists...lol) in Sosua

Daylight robbery. I checked with my farmacia this morning: the dose is 6 tablets - 2 a day for 3 days - cost of 6 tablets is RD$55. Likewise the liquid Fel-6, small bottle for 3 day course is RD$55. The price quoted to you is 5 TIMES the normal amount! And for (apparently) half a course of treatment. :rolleyes: Go back & challenge it.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Been a while since someone posted here, so hopefully someone will answer! I'm feeling a little "under the weather" and I have narrowed the cause down to either food poisoning or parasites. I have been coming back and forth since March and haven't had a problem until now (I move "officially" next week). Can someone tell me whether Zentel (is that albendezole?) and/or Fel-6 is available in all pharmacies and does it get rid of Giardia (not that that is what I have, but just in case) and is it Kosher (in other words, do I build up a restistance to it after a while or will I have side effects from taking it?) Any reply is greatly appreciated!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Been a while since someone posted here, so hopefully someone will answer! I'm feeling a little "under the weather" and I have narrowed the cause down to either food poisoning or parasites. I have been coming back and forth since March and haven't had a problem until now (I move "officially" next week). Can someone tell me whether Zentel (is that albendezole?) and/or Fel-6 is available in all pharmacies and does it get rid of Giardia (not that that is what I have, but just in case) and is it Kosher (in other words, do I build up a restistance to it after a while or will I have side effects from taking it?) Any reply is greatly appreciated!!
It's best to get analyzed and take the appropriate treatment for the particular problem.
You'll need to submit a stool sample.
You can try Zentel or Fe-l6 and see if it helps.
A lot of people have had success with them, but it's not guaranteed.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Prescription?

Do you need a prescription for those? I actually think it's food poisoning since I have had this feeling before...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do you need a prescription for those? I actually think it's food poisoning since I have had this feeling before...
You do not need a prescription for either.
How long have you been ill?
Are you now in your homeland or the DR?
Is there a reason why you might prefer to not be analysed, other than the normal disdain for pooping in a cup?

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
IBS Too!

You do not need a prescription for either.
How long have you been ill?
Are you now in your homeland or the DR?
Is there a reason why you might prefer to not be analysed, other than the normal disdain for pooping in a cup?

Hi Rocky,

I'm actually in DR and my health insurance coverage hasn't actually begun here and I'm due back to my "mothership" on Friday. So I figure I can hang in there a few days with some pepto and som Fel 6 and get an analysis either when I get there or when I move here next week by which time I will have health insurance. Whilst I don't particularly love pooping in a cup, I do think I should get tested for whatever might be out there; I hate to self-diagnose, but since I have had these exact symptoms/sensations before and it turned out to be food poisoning, I'm risking it. Yes, I am educated and this doesn't sound like a reply that should come from an educated person, but I have no experience with doctors or health care costs here for that matter so I'm struggling a bit. In addition to all this, I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome so I never actually know if I am having a "flare up" or if something else is really wrong. Thanks for all the advice though and I promise to see a doctor soon!

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Oops... forgot to mention that the illness started this morning and I was actually doing okay from about 4 - 9PM, but then I tried to eat which, apparently, was a bad idea.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can someone tell me whether Zentel (is that albendezole?) and/or Fel-6 is available in all pharmacies and does it get rid of Giardia (not that that is what I have, but just in case)

Yes Zentel is albendezole & both Zentel & Fel-6 are readily available in DR over the counter. They are de-wormers BUT they don't usually touch Giardia. You cannot self diagnose Giardia (heaven knows even doctors not used to it have enough trouble diagnosing it) the treatment for which is an antibiotic like metronidazole or tinidazole. Need the stool sample analysed. And even after treatment when you feel better you need another stool sample analysed to prove there is none remaining. Otherwise..........you have 2 weeks of feeling fine then wallop, back it comes. I know because I've been there :ermm:. Second time around I took the metronidazole for a month to make absolutely certain it was all out of the system.

But look on the bright side - if you have the type of IBS which causes chronic constipation then giardia (IF it's that) with its diarrhoea will be an antidote.............of sorts ;).

Just seen your post about eating - when I had giardia I didn't feel like eating at all, so maybe that isn't what you have. Either way, keep up the fluid intake (non-alcoholic).

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
HAHA Lambada... unlucky as I am I don't have the IBS with constipation, so now I will lose double the weight! Oh well, guess my wedding dress will look better at least!

Any idea how much a doctor's visit will run me without health insurance?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Oops... forgot to mention that the illness started this morning and I was actually doing okay from about 4 - 9PM, but then I tried to eat which, apparently, was a bad idea.
This is what I do, assuming that we are talking about the same thing.
The runs, feeling generally sick and weak, maybe even feverish.
I go with a remedy taught to me by our local vet, many years ago, before it was possible to find an actual real doctor who truly knew what he was talking about.
The treatment is based on PH balance.
The idea is to make an unfriendly environment for the bacteria/microbes/parasites, while still being friendly enough for you.
The way to do this is with lime juice or apple cider vinegar.
Also, one should starve the little buggers out, so eating is not on the menu right now.
That being said, one can and should drink as much water as possible, perhaps even some electrolyte solutions and bananas go down well, for some reason.
I forgot to mention, that I immediately take Immodium, just to plug up the "hole", pardon the expression.
If you don't plug it up, you will dehydrate and make it worse.
Avoid coffee and tea like the plague.
Once you are getting back on your feet again and are starving for solids, go at it easy.
Eat whatever goes down easily for you (in my case, it's spaghetti) and eat small portions with greater frequency, rather than 3 big meals per day.
Keep up the lime juice or vinegar treatment until you are positive you have won the battle.
This solution works for me 99% of the time.
In more severe cases, I will get onto Ciprobiotic 500 for a week or so.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Take a fresh faeces sample to an analysing lab (use a clean container so as not to contaminate with something else) - I can tell you where to go in Puerto Plata but I don't know where you are. The test results should be available same day & will probably cost around RD$200-300. If you get a confirmed giardia result take that to a doc for a prescription for metronidazole. You can buy metronidaole over the counter but if you have something else as well you might need a different medication. Dr. will probably be a few hundred pesos. Good luck & hope you get well soon.

Just seen Rocky's post. That will work too if it isn't giardia. But if it is, you need a sample analysed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Take a fresh faeces sample to an analysing lab (use a clean container so as not to contaminate with something else) - I can tell you where to go in Puerto Plata but I don't know where you are. The test results should be available same day & will probably cost around RD$200-300. If you get a confirmed giardia result take that to a doc for a prescription for metronidazole. You can buy metronidaole over the counter but if you have something else as well you might need a different medication. Dr. will probably be a few hundred pesos. Good luck & hope you get well soon.
I believe that Beergirl is in the Santo Domingo area.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Yes, I am in Santo Domingo. Ugh, this is so gross, but at least everyone else posting has been through it before! I've been drinking TONS of water so as not to get dehydrated and now I'm going for some Pepto. I may just suck it up and go to the doctor tomorrow; not sure how much money to bring though. Will try the lime thing tomorrow. Thanks again for the great advice! Now I'm going to try to see if I can actually sleep!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, I am in Santo Domingo. Ugh, this is so gross, but at least everyone else posting has been through it before! I've been drinking TONS of water so as not to get dehydrated and now I'm going for some Pepto. I may just suck it up and go to the doctor tomorrow; not sure how much money to bring though. Will try the lime thing tomorrow. Thanks again for the great advice! Now I'm going to try to see if I can actually sleep!
Forget the Pepto Bismol and do the lime thing immediately.
The longer you allow yourself to be sick, the longer the recovery time.
Go for it now.
Limes are available even at this time of night.
A local bar will have some.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Okay, I'm on it. Ironically I bought a bunch of limes the other day and was just wondering what I would do with all of them... now I know!

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Last quickie... how much lime juice are we talking here? I did about 1/4 of a 10 ounce glass with the rest water... incredibly, I think it's already working...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Last quickie... how much lime juice are we talking here? I did about 1/4 of a 10 ounce glass with the rest water... incredibly, I think it's already working...
That's about right, and it's not surprising that it might have an instantaneous effect.
That's a good sign, of course, as it indicates that your problem is not as severe as some cases could be.
Stick with 4 or 5 treatments per day, if you can stand it.
If it's too hard on your stomach, try the vinegar.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
incredibly, I think it's already working...

Good news! Probably means it isn't giardia - recovery is nowhere near so quick. With that you don't feel much improvement until after a 2 or 3 day period on the medication.

Btw, if you are going to get a stool sample analysed don't self medicate with antibiotics in advance - it'll mask the results.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where in Santo Domingo? There are branches of Laboratorio Amadita in many parts of
the city.
A good natural treatment for dysentery is to drink papaya juice, but blending the fruit with the seeds.

Last edited: