stomach and gut - Parasites

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've had sveral bouts of the trots here in the DR last six years.

I disagree that you should plug up immediateley. I think you should allow your body to throw off whatever toxins are causing the problem but rehydrate aggresively even if you don't feel like it.

I drink water, gatorade or lime juice to rehydrate.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've had sveral bouts of the trots here in the DR last six years.

I disagree that you should plug up immediateley. I think you should allow your body to throw off whatever toxins are causing the problem but rehydrate aggresively even if you don't feel like it.

I drink water, gatorade or lime juice to rehydrate.
Many a person agrees with you.
I have heard several folks say that, throughout the years, but I do know for a fact, what works for me, as I went through it over 50 times in the early years of living here.
There are 2 schools of thought on this and I doubt that everyone will one day be in agreement about it.
One could argue that it is better to evacuate all the little "buggies" and get them out of your system, while others would argue that it is better to kill them off and not evacuate so much that you get severely dehydrated, a condition that can kill you.
I am of the latter opinion, and know for a fact, that it is the best solution for me.
It may not be the perfect solution for everybody.
I simply don't know.
Like I said, I have heard your theory, several times before, but I have NEVER heard a doctor suggest it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Better out than in!
Proper rehydration is a MUST.
If you are still trotting after 2 days, you probably need an antibiotic to kill the buggers. All Loperamide HCL does is act as a "cork", not a cure.

tambo'

Imodium.com - How Imodium Works

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Doctors I know and trust will only recommend 'corks' as an emergency measure, like before a long journey, or out in the boonies without toilet facilities.

The correct procedure in the right conditions is to flush the buggers out, drinking plenty of oral rehydration mixture (water + sugar and salt) and if your body can take it, eating small amounts of light solids like dry toast, chicken or vegetable broth, stewed apples or rice pudding. As Tambo says, if it's not better after two days, it's time to get yourself tested and see a doctor.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Prevention and Treatment of Traveler's Diarrhea - July 1999 - American Academy of Family Physicians

Common pathogens in traveler's diarrhea include enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Campylobacter, Shigella, Salmonella, Yersinia and many other species. Viruses and protozoa are the cause in many cases. Fortunately, traveler's diarrhea can usually be avoided by carefully selecting foods and beverages. Although drug prophylaxis is now discouraged, treatment with loperamide (in the absence of dysentery) and a fluoroquinolone, such as ciprofloxacin (500 mg twice daily for one to three days), is usually safe and effective in adults with traveler's diarrhea.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Testing... Testing

Well, I appreciate all the great advice yesterday, but I had this stabbing pain in my upper abdomen this morning still that was doubling me over, so I sucked it up and headed over to CEDIMAT. I don't have insurance yet so the wait was a minor disaster. I went to see a General Doctor, but I had to wait so long to prepay that he had already left by the time I got done with the invoicing :disappoin
Sooooooo, I was almost crying when I went to the receptionist and said that I have been waiting to pay and SH&^ING myself for 2 hours and she's telling me that the doctor left!? She felt sorry for me and took me to a gastro:)

He gave the the following prescription:

Immodium - 1 tablet after every LIQUID bowel movement (ew)
No solid food for the next day or two; only gatorade, chamomoille (sp?) tea and gelatin (gross).
He also gave me some drugs but told me I should only start taking them after he sees the test results to determine whether they are necessary.

This is getting awfully long... allow me to divide it into 2 posts.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Testing... Testing Part II

So, where was I, oh yes, I had lab tests (blood, urine) done and I need to do the poop in a cup thing (again... gross). Now what I'm wondering is, do I tote those little cups around wherever I go? I mean, I was planning on returning to work tomorrow, but what exactly do I do if the um urge hits me during work? Drive home? I work 30 minutes from where I live when there's no traffic! I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. I can just imagine someone's surprise when the look into a shopping bag thinking they are going find food and SURPRISE!! hehe, at least this bug didn't get my sense of humour yet:p

In any case, tomorrow I'm aloud to move onto solid foods, mainly rice, so I cooked up a bunch of it to take with me tomorrow and I'll just take it in little by little and see how it goes, but have my Immodium and my cup handy just in case!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very strange symptoms

i have not been sick for a while and i started getting confident about getting used to DR. wrong.
this morning all of a sudden i felt dizzy and nauseous. nothing strange here. then i got shivers, so bad i started to stutter and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. by lunchtime i could not speak very well and i had to go to clinica brugal. turned out i have proteus (bacteria similar to salmonella). i had proteus before but never with those shivers! whole office was stunned when i pronounced i need to go home. during the rest of the day shivers and stutter came back and went few times. very weird... :ermm: