Stopped this afternoon by 2 cops at Sosua for money

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just tell them write the ticket. Use your state side license and tear it up as you drive away. You'll never see it show up.
After pay 300 pesos last time that's my new tactic.

Well.... I have a story about a Dominicana from NYC who tried that.... using the ruse of the foreign license

They confiscated and made her follow them to the station to pay 'on the spot'....
or they keep the DL

Not for me that game....

She is a true DR girl in a well known family..... Spanish/English equally well spoken

I have said before....
They ain't all stupid------ don't/never underestimate the competition

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well.... I have a story about a Dominicana from NYC who tried that.... using the ruse of the foreign license

They confiscated and made her follow them to the station to pay 'on the spot'....
or they keep the DL

Not for me that game....

She is a true DR girl in a well known family..... Spanish/English equally well spoken

I have said before....
Yes they could do that. What if you agree to pay them the fine and request a receipt?
I got half dozen speeding tickets in Puerto Rico that never showed on my US history so I assume DR is even less connected.
Next time I go back to California I can order counterfeit drivers licenses from the barrio brothers for $75 each and present one of those if stopped abroad.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hahaha

more than one way to break the law...

we'll call it a 'toilet paper' license....single use
use & discard....

hahaha

still - not my jam Chico
but I might come to spring you from the clink

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

or they keep the DL
That is interesting. I thought that you paid at Banreservas. I would not be inclined to follow them anywhere, let me call my friend with the PN, and let him handle it.

Not for me that game....

I have said before....
This is very true.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
hahaha

more than one way to break the law...

we'll call it a 'toilet paper' license....single use
use & discard....

hahaha

still - not my jam Chico
but I might come to spring you from the clink

No Gorgon will come get me.
I like it disposable drivers licenses...........

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
your last sentence says it all. a lot of people here should be giving strenuous consideration to that option.

there is a thread here that was opened recently about the immigration guys rounding up Haitians. some guy remarked that it was high time immigration got off their lazy asses and did something.

what business of a foreigner is it whether or not the government is deporting illegals? you want to see illegals deported, go talk to the government of your own country. you are here as a guest.
So for what I understand, you give unasked advice to people here about returning to their country because they have opinions on how things are done in the DR, or mostly not done, and they whom you advice cant have their opinion.
Frankly, I am a little fed up with that "you are a guest"fu.*ery. We live in the DR, have our cedula and have our family here. So untill when are we guests, do you have a date in mind, as you know it all because you were born in Jamaica?

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
Been stopped a few times in my times there, as far back as day 3 years the peso to dollar was day 46 to almost 50 pesos so the 2 dollars was ok, I usually if stopped in car rental would offer them 100 pesos and tell them to have a presidents on me. There are sometimes you can get a real crook. One time about 3 years ago a motorcycle police stopped me as I was coming off into Santo Domingo and onto the Malcoln, first thing he wanted was my license and passport which raised the red flag as he didn't ask for the car papers, note bad idea to give those out as once they have them they have the advantage to manipulate. I have him a photo copy of my passport and license and asked him what was wrong? He asked where was my original IDs and I told him at my hotel , he went back by his bike for about 2 minutes and came back and basically said I made an illegal turn which I didn't and told me I could go to jail for it. There is a police commander I met in Boca Chica and buy him 1 drink every time I see him when he was there visiting friends at this bar restaurant there. He said he wanted 2000 pesos or I might have to go to jail. I asked him for his name and badge number and pulled my friends police business card and told him as soon as I get to the station I'll have already called him about him and what he was doing when at best he could or should have just written me a ticket. He went back to his bike with my papers and just took off! My point is a little can pay off in the long run if you go there alot, especially if you're renting cars. Find a national police captain, get to be social friends, but him a drink. Then at some point ask him for his card, it just might be worth it in a pinch.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So for what I understand, you give unasked advice to people here about returning to their country because they have opinions on how things are done in the DR, or mostly not done, and they whom you advice cant have their opinion.
Frankly, I am a little fed up with that "you are a guest"fu.*ery. We live in the DR, have our cedula and have our family here. So untill when are we guests, do you have a date in mind, as you know it all because you were born in Jamaica?

you are always a guest. i do not subscribe to the notion some people have which tells them that since they come from a first world country, and the DR is not considered to be one, they get to judge from a posture of superiority, and get to tell the people what they should be doing. if some guy from Valverde Mao got on a European website and started dictating what some European municipality should be doing, all hell would break loose, and rightly so.

i just believe in equality. your mileage may vary.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Been stopped a few times in my times there, as far back as day 3 years the peso to dollar was day 46 to almost 50 pesos so the 2 dollars was ok, I usually if stopped in car rental would offer them 100 pesos and tell them to have a presidents on me. There are sometimes you can get a real crook. One time about 3 years ago a motorcycle police stopped me as I was coming off into Santo Domingo and onto the Malcoln, first thing he wanted was my license and passport which raised the red flag as he didn't ask for the car papers, note bad idea to give those out as once they have them they have the advantage to manipulate. I have him a photo copy of my passport and license and asked him what was wrong? He asked where was my original IDs and I told him at my hotel , he went back by his bike for about 2 minutes and came back and basically said I made an illegal turn which I didn't and told me I could go to jail for it. There is a police commander I met in Boca Chica and buy him 1 drink every time I see him when he was there visiting friends at this bar restaurant there. He said he wanted 2000 pesos or I might have to go to jail. I asked him for his name and badge number and pulled my friends police business card and told him as soon as I get to the station I'll have already called him about him and what he was doing when at best he could or should have just written me a ticket. He went back to his bike with my papers and just took off! My point is a little can pay off in the long run if you go there alot, especially if you're renting cars. Find a national police captain, get to be social friends, but him a drink. Then at some point ask him for his card, it just might be worth it in a pinch.

that was an attempt to extort, and guys like that should lose their jobs. what i am talking about are the guys at the traffic stop who mumble something about being thirsty, looking for 100 pesos to buy a pequena. they are harmless, in my way of thinking.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they usually ask for a 'regalito'..... happened the other day to me..

He was so charming I gave him 45 pesos.... from my cup holder
he was thankful

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
word of advice to those who are foreigners here...

be thankful these guys will leave you alone for 2 USD. it is not as if they are going to stop you 5 times per day. jobs are hard to come by, so i would think twice about getting a guy fired for the price of a beer. bad sh1t could happen to you...

and, yes, i know they can be a pain in the ass. however, one day you might need a favor, and they will be there for you.

OH! PLEASE
There for me...lol

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
nobody is asking you to agree, rogerramjet. i have seen it with my own eyes, on more than one occasion.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
that was an attempt to extort, and guys like that should lose their jobs. what i am talking about are the guys at the traffic stop who mumble something about being thirsty, looking for 100 pesos to buy a pequena. they are harmless, in my way of thinking.

The extortion gang are the ones graduated from the being-thirsty-at-traffic-light class, once they realize how easy it is to get money from soft, scared gringos. Don't contribute to their education and graduation ceremony... !

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
The one time that I was stopped i Higuey, I played stupid. Cop got tired of waiting in my car, and ripped up the ticket.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Find a national police captain, get to be social friends, but him a drink. Then at some point ask him for his card, it just might be worth it in a pinch.
You do not need a PN captain, although it cannot hurt. A CESTUR sergeant will do.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I am in agreement here. If you are a resident, there exists absolutely no reason for giving a passport to the officer, regardless of the fact that you are driving a rental car.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If all you have with you is a photocopy, than that's all they can walk off with. You do have to employ a little bit of common sense each and everyday you are in this country. If you are going to traverse the Savannah away from an AI resort or your rental unit, you need to know what predators you are likely to encounter eventually and have already come up with a plan to deal with them.

Many people are not very good at on-the-fly thinking. Insufficient language skills put even you further into a hole.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The one time that I was stopped i Higuey, I played stupid. Cop got tired of waiting in my car, and ripped up the ticket.

That’s where I’ve been going wrong !!

I spend all my time trying to pretend I’m smart!!

Always on a one way street..... going the wrong way ....