Stroke at Very Young Age

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank you to everybody that had good wishes.

I’m doing better. Feel stronger on right arm and leg, but its still not as good as left side. I feel more the middle of the tongue and the right side, but I can’t taste on right side and only a little in the middle. I also eat on the left side because I can feel it normal, the other side still feels heavy. The right side of face I still can’t move except the eye. I feel a little dizzy on right side of head when I move the head, and I still can’t hear through right ear. Right eye seem to close enough to be dark, but people say I still leave open the lower part of the eye. I still wear a patch to cover eyes at night. I still use the walker because right feet and leg sometimes move to the right, messing my balance. I am able to move faster, but the right side is not as fast as left side.

Hopefully I can give a better picture and in two weeks. At first I couldn’t get up from the bed and saw double in both eyes and everything move around, so I’m doing better but am not at 100% yet.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
thanks NALs, don't really know what to say other than stay positive and like in AA they say take it one day at a time. Maybe look back and think how you were last week and how you are today. Be strong my fren.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The problem with brain injuries (from one who now knows) is that the improvements are so slow and so small it is hard to know that there are improvements. As Bigbird says, keep a diary each day, and then look back over a week so you can see how you are improving. Good luck to you and keep on keeping on! We need you and your insight.

Matilda

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Vertebrobasilar (back of the head) or Cerebellar Stroke? The MRI report will tell you. Unknown cause or Young age strokes in the states they would check for possible Atrial Fibrillation as the cause with a one month cardiac monitor. Here in RD they probably only do 24 or 48 hour holter monitors to check for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Vertebrobasilar (back of the head) or Cerebellar Stroke? The MRI report will tell you. Unknown cause or Young age strokes in the states they would check for possible Atrial Fibrillation as the cause with a one month cardiac monitor. Here in RD they probably only do 24 or 48 hour holter monitors to check for that.
It was a stroke on top of the cerebellar. I get dizzy on the right side (actually all my problems are on the right side) and my right leg will at times fall where its not meant to be. I also wobble a lot. My writing have gotten better, but its still a first grader wobbly type of writing. I can’t signed like I used to yet, but at least now I can write my first and last name. Hand shakes from time to time, making my left hand hold my right hand to make it stop. I asked the therapist if its Parkinson and she said no, so I will take her words for now. Doctors say its alk temporary, should be gone in a about a month. Lets see if it happens. Right face is also paralyzed with only the eye being able to move and mostly close (it seems dark to me, but everybody says I still leave part of the bottom open). I also can’t hear on my right ear, though sensation has gotten better in right face and right head. I still feel pressure in right head, mostly going from right forehead to right eye and to right ear. It is much less pressure than it used to be, but I can still feel it. Sometimes I forget word in Spanish but know it in English and vice versa.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
NALS keep at it. I forget words in Spanish or in English but they come back after like 30 seconds like my internet goes slow. Take it one day at a time. The brain works slowly. Every day you will see some improvement but you are doing great. I can't smile on the left side but hey ho it is not the end of the world. The therapists are right, it takes time and I think you are doing amazingly well. Thanks so much for your reports and good luck and hugs.

Matilda

Sep 4, 2012
It was a stroke on top of the cerebellar. I get dizzy on the right side (actually all my problems are on the right side) and my right leg will at times fall where its not meant to be. I also wobble a lot. My writing have gotten better, but its still a first grader wobbly type of writing. I can’t signed like I used to yet, but at least now I can write my first and last name. Hand shakes from time to time, making my left hand hold my right hand to make it stop. I asked the therapist if its Parkinson and she said no, so I will take her words for now. Doctors say its alk temporary, should be gone in a about a month. Lets see if it happens. Right face is also paralyzed with only the eye being able to move and mostly close (it seems dark to me, but everybody says I still leave part of the bottom open). I also can’t hear on my right ear, though sensation has gotten better in right face and right head. I still feel pressure in right head, mostly going from right forehead to right eye and to right ear. It is much less pressure than it used to be, but I can still feel it. Sometimes I forget word in Spanish but know it in English and vice versa.

I wish you well - stay strong!

This too shall pass.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Glad to hear your on the path to getting better. Just take it one day at a time.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everything is the same except I’m slightly stronger in right side, I’m able to stand up and keep my balance but I still use the walker - more for support on the few times I do become imbalanced-, and I’m now brushing my hair and such. I also read more on what my type of stroke is and the likelihood of recuperating, and that has helped in making me take the exercises at home more seriously. I can also stop the shaking in my right hand much faster. Everything else is basically still the same.

The therapist said this week or next I will move from the walker to a cane. Lets see how that goes. I was suppose to use the walker for another 2 weeks after the hospital, and its already the third week going onto the 4th week and I’m still on the walker.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
take it easy. everyone recovers at their own pace. slow and steady wins the race, you will get there.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
NALs,Thanks for the update.
It sounds like your recovery is progressing well.
In this world of instant gratification it can be difficult for you to see the improvements.
Take care

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
thanks for the update. It takes time, like us old folks say Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep positive, look back to last week and take notice of any improvement no matter how small and just smile then say to yourself I am getting there.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for the update - we worry about you! Glad there are improvements albeit small ones.

Matilda

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This week I’m able to stay standing for much longer. I also am able to move little the muscle by the right brow and feel the muscle, and a little with the muscle under the eye. I can also feel natural tears coming out of the right eye, but its much less than in the left eye. I don’t shake as much when I take a long breathe and I also feel less the need to do that. I don’t get tired on my left leg when I brush my teeth. I used to not see long distances from the right eye, but that has fixed itself. My right arm and leg feel stronger than last week.

I still feel the pressure on the right side of my head, but every week I feel it less. Everything else feels the same.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I went to the doctor again and he finally show me the MRIs and the reason I was so lucky than the usual most people die from a stroke like that. It happens that had my stroke happened 1 to 2 millimeters higher in the same artery, the only result left was death. Basically, I was saved by a hair.

The lower right part of my brain is whiter than the left side, based on the images. Everything else looks fine.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I went to the doctor again and he finally show me the MRIs and the reason I was so lucky than the usual most people die from a stroke like that. It happens that had my stroke happened 1 to 2 millimeters higher in the same artery, the only result left was death. Basically, I was saved by a hair.

The lower right part of my brain is whiter than the left side, based on the images. Everything else looks fine.

Starting to feel some positive info coming from you. Long story but i was at my favorite supermarket buying some cold cuts. One conversation lead to another. Well this old timer, maybe younger than me the old timer said ........"Well, at least you still on this side of the green grass". need say no more.... keep moving forward

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

you know what? forget this coulda/shoulda/woulda attitude. what-ifing is not helpful towards your recovery. you lived, you're recuperating, things are looking up. focus on that. pondering the closeness of that brush with death is unnecessary. onward and forward, as my former boss used to say.