Stupid Gringo Mistake #1

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I pay my cleaning lady for one full-day visit a week, all she ends up doing is mopping the floor, and cleaning the bathrooms since I hardly ever remember to wash my clothes in time for her to iron. She doesn't cook, of course. I provide breakfast.
At 800 DOP a day I know I'm overpaying for dominican standards, but it has never bothered me because I know it's still cheap. Sometimes I help her buy some stuff she couldn't afford on her own, like a washing machine or a fridge, and I take half her weekly payment until it's paid off.
Lately however, I'm suspecting she's stealing from me. Food, mostly, which doesn't bother me that much because I know she has 4 kids to feed and little income. But I'm wondering how long this has been going on, and what else besides food might be in peril. She's been almost 3 years with me and has a key to my apartment. Oh well, that goes to show you can never trust anyone.

you have been labeled a sucker.

My cleaner mops the floors, cleans the toilet, does at least one if not two loads of wash, changes the sheets and she is still done by 2 pM

this is why the gringos are such a mark.....

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Agreed. My cleaner makes the bed, straightens, cleans & mops, 2bed/2bath and very large balcony, cleans windows, cooks lunch and cleans up, does all laundry & ironing, changes sheets/towels and cheerfully insists on carrying groceries/water and anything else I might want her to do. She is very through and has never broken anything. She is honest; I accidentally overpaid her with an extra RD$2000 when two new bills stuck together. She came to me and gave it back. She has only been late once in nearly 2 years. She comes at 9:30 and usually leaves by 2 or earlier.

you have been labeled a sucker.

My cleaner mops the floors, cleans the toilet, does at least one if not two loads of wash, changes the sheets and she is still done by 2 pM

this is why the gringos are such a mark.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As I posted in another thread today, maybe even this one, The Better you treat a Dominican, the more they take advantage of you.
Your maid began stealing on day one.
The more you "gave", the more she "Took"!
After so much time, she just figures you for a "sucker" and will keep stealing more and more.
She may be right!
No one deserves to be paid "More" because they choose to have more kids!
That only works in "Obamalandia"!
That is just yet another example of Dominican "Logic"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Agreed. My cleaner makes the bed, straightens, cleans & mops, 2bed/2bath and very large balcony, cleans windows, cooks lunch and cleans up, does all laundry & ironing, changes sheets/towels and cheerfully insists on carrying groceries/water and anything else I might want her to do. She is very through and has never broken anything. She is honest; I accidentally overpaid her with an extra RD$2000 when two new bills stuck together. She came to me and gave it back. She has only been late once in nearly 2 years. She comes at 9:30 and usually leaves by 2 or earlier.

my last cleaner.. whom I brought over from the rat trap. or should i say the other rat trap since i have a hole big enough for one in my closet.. plus i have seen them climb the walls.. well, I feed the birds so you cannot put out food and then get angry when guest arrived

anyway Rosaria was very Taino.. from Barahona, the cousin of my last landlord, also from there.

Rosaria worked two full days a week and would TEAR up the apartment.. every surface cleaned. She would just stuff my stuff into drawers and I would have to hunt for it. I found my press pass one day in the shoe bin. And I explained that I never would have looked there normally and she had to agree.

My friend Eliza and I used to confer on how to manage the local staff. They do not respect you if you are lenient. You must be firm. They appreciate more a gift of a few hundred pesos for a special occassion than a raise sometimes.

After Rosaria had put bleach in my wash and ruined another shirt, I sat her down and explained how valuable my clothes were to me. I explained that the blouse had just come special ordered from America. That it had cost me a lot of money. That I would therefore have to deduct one thousand pesos from her eight thousand monthly to pay for it.

After that , she respected me.

Next time she spoiled a shirt , she went down to the Conde and bought me two. Stunning. All cotton. Just my size. It would have taken me three days to find them.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
she used to say Elizabeth valle mas que dinero...

because i gave her money for her son{s medical once

and food when she asked for an advance on her salary..

but she was crazy as a jay bird and always talking out loud to imaginary friends
one of us in the house was finally enough

the new girl is mute and respectful

but i doubt that she would kill a norway rat for me

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
As I posted in another thread today, maybe even this one, The Better you treat a Dominican, the more they take advantage of you.
Your maid began stealing on day one.
The more you "gave", the more she "Took"!
After so much time, she just figures you for a "sucker" and will keep stealing more and more.
She may be right!
No one deserves to be paid "More" because they choose to have more kids!
That only works in "Obamalandia"!
That is just yet another example of Dominican "Logic"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

100% in agreement with you on this. Plus, I might add that the familiarity with the house help and the resulting contempt that they will feel for you can very easily turn into a safety issue for you as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In more ways than you will EVER realize"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I mean, you moved to the DR, and built your own house!!!!
That says a lot, on Sooooooooooooooooooooo many levels!
At least you had the good sense to bring a good woman with you!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Dominicans would rather steal from you 30 dollars instead of earning 100 dollars from you. This is the the mind set you are dealing with in the DR.

If your maid steals from you "GET RID OF HER IMMEDIATELY" she has already classified you as a sucker and theft will escalate and get worst before it get's better.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I once knew a woman who stole my USB memory stick, took it to work to look at its contents, and then put it back without me knowing. She owned up a few days later over a 'romantic' meal (nothing makes my heart pound like wings and beer) at TGIFridays. Still to this day I am at a wonder as to how she might think that there was nothing wrong with doing this, and still to this day she acts as though this was no big deal. In fact on ALL other levels she was pretty perfect, good hearted/spirited and intelligent, respected and respectful. And so I am still confused as to what is missing from such a good persons morals grounding and ethics to not register absolute unjustifiable acts such as this. But then the logical conclusion is that she is after all Dominican.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
my last cleaner.. whom I brought over from the rat trap. or should i say the other rat trap since i have a hole big enough for one in my closet.. plus i have seen them climb the walls.. well, I feed the birds so you cannot put out food and then get angry when guest arrived

anyway Rosaria was very Taino.. from Barahona, the cousin of my last landlord, also from there.

Rosaria worked two full days a week and would TEAR up the apartment.. every surface cleaned. She would just stuff my stuff into drawers and I would have to hunt for it. I found my press pass one day in the shoe bin. And I explained that I never would have looked there normally and she had to agree.

My friend Eliza and I used to confer on how to manage the local staff. They do not respect you if you are lenient. You must be firm. They appreciate more a gift of a few hundred pesos for a special occassion than a raise sometimes.

After Rosaria had put bleach in my wash and ruined another shirt, I sat her down and explained how valuable my clothes were to me. I explained that the blouse had just come special ordered from America. That it had cost me a lot of money. That I would therefore have to deduct one thousand pesos from her eight thousand monthly to pay for it.

After that , she respected me.

Next time she spoiled a shirt , she went down to the Conde and bought me two. Stunning. All cotton. Just my size. It would have taken me three days to find them.

She makes 8000 month, she ruined one of your precious shirt and you made her pay 1000 pesos for that? She's maybe from a rathole, but you aint better in my opinion! ****'s happen, its not the first and last time someone will ruin/break something that is yours. Just get somebody else if she doesn't do the job lile your want her to do it!

I wish i could see you cleaning somebody else's dump for a ridiculous salary and see your pay get cut like this!

Dominicans are not perfect, but i have respect for people that work, specially for the money they earn, personally i would have never made my maid pay for it... Tacano tacano

I

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI:
You cannot reduce pay!!! You need a decree from a judge to do that.
Lucky you folks are dealing with ignorant persons. If they ever talk to a lawyer....

You are screwed.

HB

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I know a British woman who punishes her 7000 peso a month by "fining" him whenever she gets nagry with his work by taking it out of his check. At first I assumed she was just babbling when she said she was going to "fine him" but he told me later that yes she had taken it out of his pay. What a bitch!
Der Fish

There really is no wondering why some folk get robbed and the staff know nothing.............!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
FYI:
You cannot reduce pay!!! You need a decree from a judge to do that.
Lucky you folks are dealing with ignorant persons. If they ever talk to a lawyer....

You are screwed.

HB

I have a friend that is forced to go on work vacations (has to pay and is obligatory) and it is automatically taken from their monthly salary at 3000 per month year round. She only makes 11,400 per month. I told her to take the company to court, she tells me there are no contracts. I told her even better, she doesn't have the backbone and like most accept her pot!

I also know people are working for the government without contracts. People are dismissed all the time, a personal friend wouldn't go out with a head of some police department (she was in some administration job for the police) and she was sacked without reason, without warning and she never was employed under a contract.

I can see why a person working for a cooperative might not get a contract. But working for the government for 13 years without contract and then thrown away without anything makes even me wonder what is going on sometimes.