Talking coffee again

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a Saeco Coffee Magic.... Spoiled as I just push a button and it brews a cup of coffee.... I also have a french press I used to use and still have it with me..... Thanks for the video's... My apt. came with a Greca....

I forgot you had a Saeco, we have one in NJ. Doesn't yours have settings for you to make the grind finer? And to adjust the amount of coffee the machine uses? If it does, be careful with changing the grinder setting, the machine has to be grinding when you change it. I had to play around with the settings for several days before I got it the way we like our coffee. Found out if you grind too fine the water sometimes doesn't go through and you get no coffee :eek:

We use a greca in DR. I also have a pump espresso machine, but rarely use it.

Neither the greca nor the Saeco makes coffee as good as my mother-in-law made with her "sock" method.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just cannot get this greca thingy to work well. often the coffee does not go u at all or it burns. :(

Dec 26, 2011
i just cannot get this greca thingy to work well. often the coffee does not go u at all or it burns. :(

Are you tightening it enough? Is your gasket good? Is it missing? How much water? I put it right to the level of the hole on the side.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i'm a dumbass and i pack the coffee. i promise i will never do it again. water all the way to the thingy sticking out on the side. i do not know what the gasket is? da rubber thingummy? it's new, we just changed it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, i'm a dumbass and i pack the coffee. i promise i will never do it again. water all the way to the thingy sticking out on the side. i do not know what the gasket is? da rubber thingummy? it's new, we just changed it.

Yes, the gasket is the rubber ring.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv", for years when I used the "Greca" it NEVER came out as good as "Mami's".
I thought that the more coffee I packed in, the better the flavor would be, "NOT"!!!!!!!
So, I watched her one day.
She just "spoons" in the coffee, and never really "packs it down".
That's the "Secret"!
THAT, and using "Olivo Family Blend"!!!!
Sorry "AE"! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
cc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SAM", if you like "Maxwell House Coffee", your "Taste Buds" are broken!
Have you tried "Dirty Dish water"?????
Most prefer that, over "Maxwell House"!!!!! :disappoin:disappoin:disappoin
CC

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Alterego.. Ha Ha..... You are right... I forgot to read the directions when setting this one up here.... I will read them again.. I am actually lucky to have a copy.!!!!

Chris... I mention Maxwell House as a reference to American coffee... If I can remember I used "8-oclock" coffee mostly...

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Visited Jarabacoa yesterday and purchased 10lbs of Spirit Mountain Coffee. Had my first mug this morning.....really good stuff. You can get it at La Tinaja, the coffee shop/bar in town centre.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Visited Jarabacoa yesterday and purchased 10lbs of Spirit Mountain Coffee. Had my first mug this morning.....really good stuff. You can get it at La Tinaja, the coffee shop/bar in town centre.
Spirit is owned by the same folks who own the Doulous Discovery School in Jarabacoa, fundamental Christians, and procedded by the Ramirez (Monte Alto)...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I was fortunate to be able to obtain a generous supply of Olivo coffee through the good graces of cobraboy. Not wanting to waste any, I reviewed technique with the housekeeper who makes most of the coffee and with my wife. We all agree on the basics (plenty of loose ground coffee, greco, bottled water, etc) but the housekeeper puts a little salt on top of the coffee before starting the brew. My wife doesn't start with the salt but adds some to the coffee after it is brewed but before adding the milk or sugar. I am not in the habit of using any salt though I might be convinced that it removes any slight trace of bitterness. (A Canadian fellow I knew in Boca Chica years ago insisted on putting some crushed egg shell in his coffee for the same reason). So my question is: is salting your coffee common in the D.R. (or elsewhere) and or do you recommend for or against it ? ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was fortunate to be able to obtain a generous supply of Olivo coffee through the good graces of cobraboy. Not wanting to waste any, I reviewed technique with the housekeeper who makes most of the coffee and with my wife. We all agree on the basics (plenty of loose ground coffee, greco, bottled water, etc) but the housekeeper puts a little salt on top of the coffee before starting the brew. My wife doesn't start with the salt but adds some to the coffee after it is brewed but before adding the milk or sugar. I am not in the habit of using any salt though I might be convinced that it removes any slight trace of bitterness. (A Canadian fellow I knew in Boca Chica years ago insisted on putting some crushed egg shell in his coffee for the same reason). So my question is: is salting your coffee common in the D.R. (or elsewhere) and or do you recommend for or against it ? ?
Against.

Salt is used to reduce the acidity. Your housekeeper is used to inferior coffee.

The coffee you have needs nothing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen a small dash of canela on the top of the coffee in greca. not sure whether it's for flavour or some other reason.

RichardBishop

Sep 3, 2013
Oh my word, that picture of the De Longhi coffee machine looks so good. It makes me crave a good espresso which is oddly so difficult to find. I'm looking at some other products to buy online here <a href=http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/shop-by-brands/delonghi> http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/shop-by-brands/delonghi</a> . As you can see, I'm really looking forward to owning a high-end coffee machine, I just wish I could share this love with my family...they don't quite understand.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Something about using a "Greca" makes me happy.
Only thing better is coffee brewed in the campo.
They pour boiling water through a "Sock" full of coffee.
My sister in Massachusetts use a "Melita" system which is about the same thing.
But the key is using "Olivo Family Blend"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Something about using a "Greca" makes me happy.
Only thing better is coffee brewed in the campo.
They pour boiling water through a "Sock" full of coffee.
My sister in Massachusetts use a "Melita" system which is about the same thing.
But the key is using "Olivo Family Blend"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss, they boil the coffee and the sugar in the water before pouring it through the sock. And then most of them pour it back through the sock a second time.

They usually have 2 large stainless steel 'cups' that they 'juggle'

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'd agree, except I like it better when the coffee grounds are boiled in the water, and then poured into the sock to filter it. That's the same way I use my french press.

Bring water with coffee to a boil, pour into french press, press, pour out coffee into the pot of my regular coffee maker (to keep it hot.

I agree, this way you extract all the coffee flavor.