Talking coffee again

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Be aware that all Dominican coffee plantations have been infected with rust, and the heavy rains this winter damaged many of the buds.

This will not be a great coffee season. In fact, I understand some of the large volume domestic roasters are importing coffee for domestic distribution.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Be aware that all Dominican coffee plantations have been infected with rust, and the heavy rains this winter damaged many of the buds.

This will not be a great coffee season. In fact, I understand some of the large volume domestic roasters are importing coffee for domestic distribution.
I was at the biggest coffee roaster of the country for a meeting and out of curiosity asked them about their exports, and if it's true they export their best coffee and leave the inferior quality in DR. They told me they hardly export, there is not enough coffee growing in DR to serve the domestic consumption, they have been importing coffee for some years and expect to have to import mucho more coffee the coming years. They basically told me the country didn't take well enough care of their coffee producing capital, and production has been going down every year.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was at the biggest coffee roaster of the country for a meeting and out of curiosity asked them about their exports, and if it's true they export their best coffee and leave the inferior quality in DR. They told me they hardly export, there is not enough coffee growing in DR to serve the domestic consumption, they have been importing coffee for some years and expect to have to import mucho more coffee the coming years. They basically told me the country didn't take well enough care of their coffee producing capital, and production has been going down every year.
THEY may not export, but I can assure you that many growers and processors don't sell to local markets.

The domestic market is a cartel-they don't take kindly to competition.

My wife's family coffee is largely exported, maybe 85%, and the local producer sells over 90% overseas,