The Age Old Question: SIgh.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I wasn't complaining about immigrants in the US. As a matter of fact, I told her that she should have her brother in the US petition for her to get a green card. I was mentioning the fact that she wanted to travel to the US as a tourist, and then work. This is exactly what the DR is trying to stop by putting such pressure on requiring residency.

Can you say "double standard?"

Of course I can! And so can gringos, but they pretend they can?t!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wasn't complaining about immigrants in the US. As a matter of fact, I told her that she should have her brother in the US petition for her to get a green card. I was mentioning the fact that she wanted to travel to the US as a tourist, and then work. This is exactly what the DR is trying to stop by putting such pressure on requiring residency.

Can you say "double standard?"

The Dominican Republic arrived at it's current state of too many illegal Aliens due to a porous border and little enforcement, combined with corruption from both government and private businesses. Sounds rather like the USA.. Not too many people blame the average Haitian for trying to survive, and the Dominican government is not REALLY trying to stop people with a tourist visa from working. They are trying to stop the Haitian invasion from claiming Dominican citizenship.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The Dominican Republic arrived at it's current state of too many illegal Aliens due to a porous border and little enforcement, combined with corruption from both government and private businesses. Sounds rather like the USA.. Not too many people blame the average Haitian for trying to survive, and the Dominican government is not REALLY trying to stop people with a tourist visa from working. They are trying to stop the Haitian invasion from claiming Dominican citizenship.

I believe La Profre_1 was referring to foreigners (gringos) not Haitians in her comment.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I say go for it!

Getting a U.S. Visa has become a crap shoot anyway; she should take her chances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With no job, no money and no assets in the DR. NO CHANCE. Add the huge red flag of having relatives already in the US and the chances are diminished to virtually impossible.

To get her a visitors visa: You marry her, sponsor her as your wife to get her green card, then turn in the green card for a 10 year renewable visitor's visa.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
U need the visa 1st to the PRA status(green card). The green card is only issued in the US. The visa allows u to enter the country to apply.

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

I entered the US as a child so the process began in the Consular. Yes, I see now that I entered the
US with an immigrant visa and upon inspection at immigration(airport) was allowed as permanent
resident. I just had to wait for the green card to be mailed.

Consular Processing | USCIS

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To the OP-if your girlfriend has relatives in the US, let THEM handle getting this young lady to the states. Why are you trying to do someone elses' job for them?

It's obvious from what she has has going for her (no job, no money, no assets) that she's not getting a travel visa. This process is NOT a crapshoot. There is no "gray" area.

And if she's convinced she can get one despite her circumstances, tell her to stop with the Dominican magical thinking that the rules don't apply to her.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
THere are over a million Dominicans between New York and Boston. They all got visas somehow!

How many of them were given tourist visas and never went back? Dominicans are world famous for overstaying visas, visa fraud etc etc etc.
For that reason tourist visas are very difficult.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How many of them were given tourist visas and never went back? Dominicans are world famous for overstaying visas, visa fraud etc etc etc.
For that reason tourist visas are very difficult.

Exactly rafael.

Berzin is correct if the right kind of family member (I believe that would be a parent, adult child, or sibling but not a more distant relative like a cousin or aunt/uncle) is in the US, they can sponsor her. You cannot unless you marry her. Have them get on it.

The Dominicans who are getting to the US these days are getting there sponsored by those legally in the US. This can take some time.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
There is a chance! She needs to apply for residency like all the other hundred thousands waiting in line to get their immigration visa. Does not have to be marry, just have family in the USA or not that can give her an affidavit that they will take care of her if she can't affort to take care of herself. Granted it may take 10 years for her case to come up, but she will get it someday. As far as a tourist visa, forget it! You don't have a good job, education, own a business, it's not happening because they know that you just want to get here then never go back.

You did.

US Visa=impossible unless you marry her. Whoever she is here she will be worse in the US.

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just go find yourself a Dominicana already in the USA.
They have,....."Interchangeable Parts"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will never notice the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
No job, no money, no assets. Let me guess, she loves to sleep in late and go shopping...... I am certain I have met her

A subset of DR1 members (you), snark and bigotry (typecasting) are "two peas in a pod." In fact, she awakes at 6 AM, having been in that habit after working in a comedor for 25 years. Shopping? She asks only for necessities, and then rarely. It's embarrassing. Like many mature adults, she prefers independence.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Messianic?

Maybe instead of encouraging her to travel and paying for round trip air fare you should pay to get her some school materials and classes to better herself/ situation.

Instituto Nacional de Formaci?n T?cnico Profesional

I appreciate your sentiments but I'm not here on a mission. I'm here to live and not "save," although I help when I can, just like she helps me in other ways. It's a fair trade.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Not on Table

There is available a fiance visa which requires you to marry her within 90 days as I recall. It isn't that hard to get. I've know of several couples living in SO FLA who did that.

Thanks for this advice but marriage is not on the table and I don't like playing with fire when it comes to governments in general!
I'm a little guy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for this advice but marriage is not on the table and I don't like playing with fire when it comes to governments in general!
I'm a little guy.

Then you will have to be content with what you have in the DR. Her only way to the USA is being sponsored by a close family member in the USA or by you as a fiance/spouse.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Immigration is looking for strong ties to the DR as an indication that she will return when she is supposed to. She doesn't appear to have any of those strong incentives to return so if she applies herself, you're probably right, the chances are slim.

However, you mention family in Miami. If those family members are direct relatives of hers and they have status in the US, they may be able to initiate the visa request and offer assurances/a bond that she will return to the DR voluntarily and on time.

As for visa restrictions for other countries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_...ments_for_the_Dominican_Republic_citizens.png

Hey, Mr. Cdn: Thanks for the great Wikipedia link! This is an example of why I appreciate DR1 forums. We are checking Colombia as a possibility. Flying from SDQ to Bogota, round-trip, for two adults, costs only $450.00. This is a strong possibility. Ecuador and Bolivia are further and double the price. The flight to Colombia is only five hours . . .

And, yes, she is asking her family in the U.S. to pursue a visa on her behalf.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Am I reading this wrong, or is the OP almost looking for a way out? Using the term "off the hook" strikes me as 5 day-old fish.

Yes, you are reading it wrong, I am not looking for a way out. The way I figure it, why should I bear the brunt of her disappointment if I'm the bearer of bad news when I have no say so on an immigration policy that I disagree with. Let a U.S. official tell her directly what's possible and what's not.