The Age Old Question: SIgh.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Extreme Typecasting

Can't one of the guys she spent the last 4 months with help her get a visa for, Italy, Spain, or,...."El Swiso"?????????
Just a thought.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, THE WOMEN IN Colombia are "Better" than Dominicanas, "Fly Solo"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CC, your typecasting is extreme, to say the least. She is 52, conservative and responsible, raised three boys, all working, all finished secondary school, one in the university, takes care of her 93 year old mother, two sons living at home. First and only husband deceased.
I am the second relationship in her life and, this, after a lapse of 20 years when her ex died. "Guys in last four months" does not give credit to the majority of poor Dominican women.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I was talking about the hypocrisy of Dominicans traveling to the US on tourist visas, and then looking for employment while the government of the DR is threatening deportation to anyone living or working in the country without the proper paperwork. Itg appears that is OK for Dominicans to work illegally in the US, but not OK for gringos to come to the DR and retire or work without documentation.

I never mentioned Haitians, you did.

The same can be said about Americans or gringos (hypocrisy) as they want illegal immigrants out of the
US yet travel to the DR with a tourist visa and over stay and have been living there for years and are
now complaining because the DR gov't has set up rules and regulations to control immigration.

The US has been deporting those who over stay. Immigration officials are on a hunt for them when their
visa expires.

That seems to be the intent of particular individuals as not all Dominicans obtain a tourist visa and over
stay their welcome to obtain employment.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was talking about the hypocrisy of Dominicans traveling to the US on tourist visas, and then looking for employment while the government of the DR is threatening deportation to anyone living or working in the country without the proper paperwork. Itg appears that is OK for Dominicans to work illegally in the US, but not OK for gringos to come to the DR and retire or work without documentation.

I never mentioned Haitians, you did.

Everyone knows the main thrust of the Dominican governments immigration enforcement is aimed mainly at Haitians but does include other foreigners. Most Dominicans have their historical distrust of Haitian intentions that are well founded but don't care about a few Haitians working here or there. It's the shear numbers that scares them, and yes they do take jobs that many Dominicans would do. What government do, and what individuals do are two different things. Dominicans also don't whine very much when they are caught and deported.
My wife's cousin went to NYC on a tourist Visa and stayed for three months, working under the table while he was there. Came back and six months later applied and got a ten year multiple entry Visa. He went back and forth a couple of times, staying for two-three months each time. After several years of doing this he went, married a Dominican American woman, stayed and then applied for residency. This is what many Dominicans do. Sometimes the marriages are business arrangements and sometimes they are legit. His must be legit as they have three children, and are still together after 15 years.

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Hello folks,

I've just returned from a four month vacation at home in the U.S. The electricity and hot water (and my three cats) were nice.
Now I'm back for a year. Yin and yang.

I recently helped my girlfriend (dominica) obtain a passport. What do you think are her chances of obtaining a U.S. travel visa? She has no job, no money, no assets. The best I can offer on her behalf is a paid round trip ticket. And she has family in Miami who we can stay with.

Now, my assumption is that her chances are nil. But this assumption is by hearsay. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's a grey area where it might be possible.

I'm hoping that some of you with more experience than I can fill me in on the likely outcome(s).

And, further, how do we proceed? Visit the U.S. Consulate in Santo Domingo? My girlfriend is convinced that a visa is possible. As a matter of ?relationship politics? I'm proceeding through the motions. If a government official tells her no, then I'm off the hook as far as her disappoint is concerned.

Plan B will be to find ANY country in the world from which she can obtain a visa. Taking her first flight and leaving the island for the only time in her life could be an exciting and eye-opening experience, for me, as well. But first we try Plan A, a U.S. tourist visa for her.

Please advise.

Regards,
lucas61

There are possibilities. Check your inbox lucas61

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if a other website/bord provides the info asked for here, there is no problem or disresepct on posting the link.
we link to other info sources all the time in our posts, to proof the source of our statements/given info etc.
things that are pased on just by PM only are to me always suspicious.

Mike