The Age Old Question: SIgh.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Gotta agree with bob for the first time. She has a chance - its one in ten million. How many of those New York and Boston Doms are illegal? Lots. Take her to Panama for a vacay. They require a visa but its no big deal.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm not following. Can you explain?

He said essentially what I did about a fiance visa allowing her to enter the US, but then she comes home to the DR and might be able to get a visitor's visa because she proved she would return to the DR. I don't recommend this approach since it borders on visa fraud.

Well, maybe that is what he meant.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
He said essentially what I did about a fiance visa allowing her to enter the US, but then she comes home to the DR and might be able to get a visitor's visa because she proved she would return to the DR. I don't recommend this approach since it borders on visa fraud.

Well, maybe that is what he meant.

Only exception would be if she also has family in the states, then it sort of makes sense, in fact makes it stronger.. She gets a A K1 visa, and she does not get married in the 90 days,, returns to the DR, leaving not just her Fiance but also even her family... thats a solid Visa Candidate.. for next time.. just my .02 & dont forget, the DOM families who have ties in both the USA and back home in DR travel back and forth, thats really good for the DR Economy, dont think for a minute thats not also a major consideration. They do look at the whole picture.
if the only person she knew was the Fiance and his Family, thats a very unlikely visa candidate next time. She will be viewed as desperate next time around event hough she returned as required.

Last edited:

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Gotta agree with bob for the first time. She has a chance - its one in ten million. How many of those New York and Boston Doms are illegal? Lots. Take her to Panama for a vacay. They require a visa but its no big deal.

Thanks. I checked Panama. There's a bunch of paperwork. The ones I like are those that have either NO visa requirements or a fee to be paid uponarrival!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can't one of the guys she spent the last 4 months with help her get a visa for, Italy, Spain, or,...."El Swiso"?????????
Just a thought.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, THE WOMEN IN Colombia are "Better" than Dominicanas, "Fly Solo"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Can't one of the guys she spent the last 4 months with help her get a visa for, Italy, Spain, or,...."El Swiso"?????????
Just a thought.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, THE WOMEN IN Colombia are "Better" than Dominicanas, "Fly Solo"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's different !!
She's a keeper.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
On a more serious note, not throwing judgements around......

My MIL, once flew through the US a couple of years ago, to visit us in europe. Couldnt tell u the process, since my wife does all that, but plane ticket and nothing else......whaam, US visa.

Another time she went to visit her sister or cousin in NY. Relative organised it from the US side, from the dr side, all that was required was the round trip ticket......

Oh and MIL is poor, so why not give it a try ?? No harm in that.

All that said, its a great idea to let the US based relatives do the process....... if she dosnt fly home to the dr......its THEIR problem......and not yours.

Apr 7, 2014
To the OP-if your girlfriend has relatives in the US, let THEM handle getting this young lady to the states. Why are you trying to do someone elses' job for them?

It's obvious from what she has has going for her (no job, no money, no assets) that she's not getting a travel visa. This process is NOT a crapshoot. There is no "gray" area.

And if she's convinced she can get one despite her circumstances, tell her to stop with the Dominican magical thinking that the rules don't apply to her.

She wants marriage thereby cutting to the core of the issue with a spouse visa. If she is this duplicitous to you before she gets it then imagine what will happen AFTER she gets it?

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
At the frontier between Panama and Costa Rica it says that Dominicans have to present at least $1000 USD as spending money to enter Panama. A foto of that sign has been posted on this forum. One of the Franks, if I remember right.

i remember a few yrs back....at panama immig. they were questioning a dom lady...all the wrong answers... not enough $ on person. no family no proper address etc turned her right around and sent her back to the d.r.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Guess some guys have to buy round trip tickets and propose a US visa, to keep an unemployed and penniless Dominican female on the hook....I heard just a cold Presidente will do the trick (in that demographic)

P.S. Hope shes fine as frogs hair ;)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
On a more serious note, not throwing judgements around......

My MIL, once flew through the US a couple of years ago, to visit us in europe. Couldnt tell u the process, since my wife does all that, but plane ticket and nothing else......whaam, US visa.

Another time she went to visit her sister or cousin in NY. Relative organised it from the US side, from the dr side, all that was required was the round trip ticket......

Oh and MIL is poor, so why not give it a try ?? No harm in that.

All that said, its a great idea to let the US based relatives do the process....... if she dosnt fly home to the dr......its THEIR problem......and not yours.

It is my understanding that the US Consulate is less demanding of older applicants for a tourist visa. For example, men between certain ages had an extra form to complete, based simply on age. That might be why your MIL was able to get the tourist visa.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hey, Mr. Cdn: Thanks for the great Wikipedia link! This is an example of why I appreciate DR1 forums. We are checking Colombia as a possibility. Flying from SDQ to Bogota, round-trip, for two adults, costs only $450.00. This is a strong possibility. Ecuador and Bolivia are further and double the price. The flight to Colombia is only five hours . . .

And, yes, she is asking her family in the U.S. to pursue a visa on her behalf.

and put also Costa Rica on your list, for spending a nice vacay with here where a tourist visa is easy.

Mike

Aug 6, 2006
I think that visas for Dominicans are harder to get now that before. The problem is that you need to pay a rather large application fee to get them to look at her visa, and if she is denied, the fee is non refundable: no hay devoluciones, as they say. One method is that you could supply her with a large amount of dollars to show the consul officer that she has enough to live on, boit then again, the problem might arise that she will tell you the same thing : she does not do refunds, either. This is not from personal experience, but an acquaintance of mine once told be of this chick in Boca Chica who pulled this on him and flew the coop after a month or so in the US, never to be seen again, at least by him. I recall thinking that if I were a girl that looked like her, I might not want to spend a lot of time looking at him, either. Plus, he drank a lot and tended to emit an inordinate amount of spittle when he was enthusiastically trying to make his point.

What is it they say? Women see a guy and want to change him. Men see a woman and want her to stay the same. Neither ever seems to realize that these are unrealistic attitudes, when considered over a period of years.

But of course, every case is different.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
She was referring to Dominicans.

I was talking about the hypocrisy of Dominicans traveling to the US on tourist visas, and then looking for employment while the government of the DR is threatening deportation to anyone living or working in the country without the proper paperwork. Itg appears that is OK for Dominicans to work illegally in the US, but not OK for gringos to come to the DR and retire or work without documentation.

I never mentioned Haitians, you did.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I was talking about the hypocrisy of Dominicans traveling to the US on tourist visas, and then looking for employment while the government of the DR is threatening deportation to anyone living or working in the country without the proper paperwork. Itg appears that is OK for Dominicans to work illegally in the US, but not OK for gringos to come to the DR and retire or work without documentation.

I never mentioned Haitians, you did.

right.
and as far as Haitians go, even that their situation in DR is unique compared to others,
they are by immigrations laws the same as every gringo, simply a foreigner.
just not as easy to get rid of, as the DR Transportation systems are no capable to bord them all on the new Metro Line towards the West within just one year or so.
Pichardo!!!!
when will the new line get its needed additional Trains running?

Mike