The Cibao old families & Geneology

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My grandfather surname was Arnaud, his mother family.
I was told is a French surname... Just curios where this people came from before they settle in Moca.

JJ
A Friend of my has that surname, it is in fact a first name in france, anyway he is from Saba.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I also found an E-Book of the Bret?n family some time ago. upon reading it I noticed my Great Great Uncle and aunt was listed as a God father and mother to one of the Bret?n.

Folio 146 N? 751
MAR?A MERCEDES BRET?N, hija leg?tima de NICOL?S BRET?N
Y JOVINA MART?NEZ, nacida 16 de septiembre de 1887,
bautizada 15 de octubre de 1887. Padrinos: Jos? Antonio
Cabrera y Mercedes Mart?nez
. Pbro. Don ?ngel Rusterucci.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
This whole thread is amazing!!!

Thank you, thank you so much!

"The migration he fails to write about, and probably the most important one to la Sierra, was the Canary migration, which started in the Cibao region in the 1680's. Thanks to the continuous French expansion in the western part of the island, and the constant pillage of Dominican towns by the French, the Spaniards decided to send hundreds of Canary families to resettle the colony of Santo Domingo, these were especially sent to strategic points in the island, many re-founding the towns of Dajabon, Montecristi and Puerto Plata which had been destroyed a century earlier. Only a handful of Canary families were originally sent to the Sierra region, since unlike like the under aforementioned places, La sierra was not seen as strategically important to halt the French expansion the island. Yet, many of the Canary families originally sent to Dajabon, Montecristi and Puerto Plata eventually found their way to la Sierra and settled there instead. It is assume and I think recorded, though I can't remember by whom, that the Canarians hated the coastal tropical climate of Puerto Plata and Montecristi, thus many would re-settle in places with climates more pleasant to them such as la Sierra. Many of the Canary families who could afford to, would even return to the Canary Islands. In any case, hopefully someone will find an ancestor or some answers in this detailed work on the Bisono and other Serrano families.[/QUOTE]

It seems there are a lot of people who carry Canary blood in Azua too.

By the way, this is just a thought, but I'm surprised by the fact these settlers from the Canary Islands couldn't stand the tropical climate of the coast when they come from a subtropical archipielago that ranges from semidesertic climate with scarce rain and cacti to a humid tropical one. Anyway, I also prefer the inland mountain climate.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since all Haitians & Dominicans share the same racial heritage, is it possible to tell them apart by DNA testing alone????
I know that they both share the same African ancestry, but the Haitians are a mixture of African & French, and Dominicans are African & Spanish.
France & Spain are so inner mixed since prehistoric times due to their geographic positions,I would think their DNA's would be as well.
My grandparents went to the USA from Holland, but I bet their DNA would look pretty German as well!
Until THAT DNA testing is complete, I guess dominicans will just have to continue with the ?Perjil?method to tell them apart!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Criss Colon that post is off topic and I'm not sure on what DNA test/s are you basing your argument on, but regardless of that, every single thing you said is simply not true! I know that you're probably only trolling (IMAO only forum where a moderator is allowed to do that) and I would have prefer that you would've not ruined this thread which was solely filled with interesting information and conversations up to now. But what's done is done.

So to correct your post full of ignorance I will try to clarify some things that you said. First of all, Dominicans and Haitians for the most part do not share the same African admixture. Second, Spaniards and French are very different, and DNA tests can, usually, tell them apart. Third, Dominicans have some Amerind admixture in them, which most Haitians lack. Fourth, Dominican and Haitians both share European and African ancestry but in different proportions; the first group on average is about 42% African while the second on average is about 80-90% African. In fact, Dominicans and Haitians are probably two of the most distinct groups of people that share an island.

To give you an example, here's the results of random Haitian on 23Andme.

2crnhi1.jpg

Now compare that to my 23andme results a Dominican, here I'll quote my own post that I made a few mothns back in this same thread.

BTW I'll encourage any Dominican who's interested in their genealogy to get tested with 23Andme, you can discover distant cousins, you "racial composition" and many other things.

Here is my "ancestry composition"
udrv.png

3l4b.png

See the difference?

May 12, 2005
This is a good and very informative thread. Please let's keep it on topic and keep the nonsenses and vainas to a bare minimum.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Just to keep the Thread live I wish to share what I have done so far, my project has been the family of the Cabrera, Taveras, Alba and Guzman of Licey al Medio, Santiago, Dominican Republic and surrounding area. I have about 102 different surnames and 566 relatives listed so far. I am inviting the members of this website to take a look at my family tree at Cabrera,Taveras de la Republica Dominicana - Family Tree, If you believe that you may be part of my extended family and wish to view the living members names or add to the tree please PM me for a security access code.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
This post is to keep the thread alive and to share what I think is an interesting genealogy story from my family. The picture below I think I've shared before, that's my great-great grandfather holding one his sons in Gurabo, the picture was supposedly taken between 1917-1919. His name was Marcos Evangelista Tavares Fermin. He was the son of Ramon Antonio Tavares (AKA To?o) who legend says had over a 100 kids (supposedly almost everyone in the small town of Pedro Garcia is his descendant). Anyways, Ramon was the son of Cipriano Ceballos and Justa Tavares; Ramon adopted his mother's surname due to being born outside a marriage. Cipriano was an interesting guy; he was an "Hacendado", his business was selling Tabaco, and it seems that he got pretty ****ed when the Spaniards came in 1861 and decided to tax Tabaco export since that was pretty much the only thing they could tax. In the documents created by the "Gobierno provisional de la restauracion" in September of 1863 is found that Cipriano was the Gurabero with the highest economic supporter for the Restauration government donating a whopping 300 pesos, (I guess that was a lot for the time) coming in second was my other ancestor Jos? Ram?n Dominguez who donated 200 pesos (This guy is also the great grand daddy of Hipolito and of Trujillo's grandson who is trying to run for presidency).

10954525_910375349003050_8115123977042191853_o.jpg

The little boy he's holding was alive until last year and I had to say "son tio" to him every time I saw him, he was my great grand uncle.

Below is one of the articles I've previously posted here, is about the Ceballo family and how it has been traced back all the way to the early 1700's. Cipriano Ceballo is mentioned all the way at the end.

LOS CEBALLOS

Manuel Antonio Ceballos naci? hacia 1763. Cas? con Juana Ure?a. Procrearon a Tom?s[1] y Jos?[2] Ceballos Ure?a.
En la siguiente generaci?n:

Tom?s[1] Ceballos Ure?a cas? con la espa?ola Mar?a Viaje y procrearon a: Manuel Tom?s[A], Mar?a Eulalia, Matilde[C], Francisca[D], Gregorio[E], Dolores[F] y Fel?cita[G] Ceballos Viaje. Tom?s[1] tambi?n fue el padre de Liboria[H] Reyes. Se desconoce el nombre de la madre.
Jos?[2] Ceballos Ure?a cas? con Estefan?a de Pe?a Ferm?n, hija de Jos? de Pe?a e Isabel Ferm?n, procrearon a Carmen, Mar?a Concepci?n[J], Eulalia[K], Domingo[L] y Cipriano[M] Ceballos de Pe?a.

Bajando otra generaci?n, encontramos que:

Manuel Tom?s[A] Ceballos Viaje casa con Aniseta D?az Siant, hija de Santiago D?az Jim?nez y Louisa Siant y son los padres de Juan Carlos Ceballos D?az quien naci? en 1857 en Gurabo.

Mar?a Eulalia Ceballos Viaje cas? con Joaqu?n D?az Rodr?guez (1819-1899), coronel en el batall?n del general Gregorio Luper?n. Procrearon a: Segundo, Jos? Ram?n y Ana Rita D?az Ceballos. Esta ?ltima naci? en 1850 y cas? el 23 de noviembre de 1870 con Santiago D?az M?ndez, hijo de Jos? D?az de Le?n y Prudencia M?ndez Viaje.

Matilde[C] Ceballos Viaje cas? en 1870 con Juan Pablo Gonz?lez Reynoso.

Francisca[D] Ceballos Viaje cas? con un se?or de apellido D?az y fueron los padres de Segundo D?az Ceballos.

Gregorio[E] Ceballos Viaje tuvo una hija llamada Sixta Ceballos, quien cas? en 1863 con Jos? Ram?n de Pe?a Ceballos.

Dolores[F] Ceballos Viaje cas? en 1876 con Francisco Antonio Solano Rodr?guez.

Fel?cita[G] Ceballos Viaje cas? en 1842 con Domingo Ceballos de Pe?a y procrearon a Juan Ceballos Ceballos, quien casar?a en 1879 con Ana Aponte Fern?ndez.

Liboria[H] Reyes cas? con Antonio Dom?nguez de Le?n, hijo de Sixto Dom?nguez Hern?ndez y Jacinta de Le?n Fern?ndez.

Carmen Ceballos de Pe?a cas? con Santiago Felipe D?az y procrearon a Carlos Julio y Ram?n D?az Ceballos.

Mar?a Concepci?n[J] Ceballos de Pe?a cas? en 1839 con Nicol?s de Pe?a N??ez y procrearon a Jos? Ram?n de Pe?a Ceballos.

Eulalia[K] Ceballos de Pe?a cas? con Eugenio S?nchez y fueron los padres de Rafaela S?nchez Ceballos.

Domingo[L] Ceballos de Pe?a cas? con Fel?cita[G] Ceballos Viaje.

Cipriano[M] Ceballos de Pe?a cas? con una se?ora de apellido Tavares y fueron los padres de Ram?n Antonio Tavares Ceballos.

http://www.idg.org.do/capsulas/octubre2008/octubre20084.htm

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The little boy he's holding was alive until last year and I had to say "son tio" to him every time I saw him, he was my great grand uncle.

Mr. AE has a couple of young nephews [16 & 19] who always greet him with 'bendicion tio' and a hug. The young one is a real tigure-in-training, and it always brings a smile to my face when he bows his head and says that.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Gurabo44, Love your post, what have you done to get all that in color in your Genealogy tree, any help from outside source or just feedback from the family?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Mr. AE has a couple of young nephews [16 & 19] who always greet him with 'bendicion tio' and a hug. The young one is a real tigure-in-training, and it always brings a smile to my face when he bows his head and says that.
Alterego, that's cute. To me, one of the most beautiful things in Dominican culture is family unity and the besame la mano tradition. There is a thread here in DR1 criticizing this tradition, something I find odd since this to me is among the unique and admirable sides of Dominicans.

Gurabo44, Love your post, what have you done to get all that in color in your Genealogy tree, any help from outside source or just feedback from the family?

Both; I am super lucky to have a great grandma who's still alive at 99 (the sister of the boy in the picture previously posted) that has a great memory and loves telling me all sorts of stories, especially stories about our ancestors. I have come to find out that almost all of her stories have been accurate thanks to documents I've located. For example, she had already told me about Cipriano participating in some war against the Spaniards, and I ended up locating the document that states his economic contribution to the war. Other stuff I still have to find proof, but I am sure there are true or partially true.

I have another ancestor who was a foot soldier during the war, his name was Manuel Dominguez, he was injured during the war and became limp from one leg. He came to be known as "Manuel el Cojo" he went on to marry his second cousin Maria Dolores Dominguez who like him was also crippled but from her hand. My Great Grandma claims that they were "Paired" for both being crippled lol. My great grandma also has a copy of an application for a pension from Maria due to Manual participating in the war and being injured in it. This is probably the only written evidence that I have of him participating in the war, but I don't know if she got the pension nor I have evidence that he became "Cojo" due to a war injury. I like to think that he was in the group of Serranos and Guraberos who spared the life of injured Spaniard soldiers that were in the Santiago Cathedral who were about to be executed, but it was prevented by the Serranos and Guraberos. Is worth to note, that Trujillo's Grandpa was among these prisoners.

I love history and genealogy. I wish I had more time to research more documents and read more books. For example, Adriano L?pez Morillo was a Spanish prisoner during the war and he wrote a memoir of his time as prisoner in Santiago, is called "Memorias sobre la segunda reincorporaci?n de Santo Domingo a Espa?a, Santo Domingo". Is amazing, he narrates in detailed almost everything, including the people he met. There is one part were he mentions meeting one of my ancestors in a Gallera "Jos? Ram?n Dominguez". Is probably the best source for this period in DR history, but is super long (composed of 3 volumes) I've only read a fraction of his books. One day I want to finish the entire memoir.

suavena

Jan 27, 2009
Alterego, that's cute. To me, one of the most beautiful things in Dominican culture is family unity and the besame la mano tradition. There is a thread here in DR1 criticizing this tradition, something I find odd since this to me is among the unique and admirable sides of Dominicans.

Both; I am super lucky to have a great grandma who's still alive at 99 (the sister of the boy in the picture previously posted) that has a great memory and loves telling me all sorts of stories, especially stories about our ancestors. I have come to find out that almost all of her stories have been accurate thanks to documents I've located. For example, she had already told me about Cipriano participating in some war against the Spaniards, and I ended up locating the document that states his economic contribution to the war. Other stuff I still have to find proof, but I am sure there are true or partially true.

I have another ancestor who was a foot soldier during the war, his name was Manuel Dominguez, he was injured during the war and became limp from one leg. He came to be known as "Manuel el Cojo" he went on to marry his second cousin Maria Dolores Dominguez who like him was also crippled but from her hand. My Great Grandma claims that they were "Paired" for both being crippled lol. My great grandma also has a copy of an application for a pension from Maria due to Manual participating in the war and being injured in it. This is probably the only written evidence that I have of him participating in the war, but I don't know if she got the pension nor I have evidence that he became "Cojo" due to a war injury. I like to think that he was in the group of Serranos and Guraberos who spared the life of injured Spaniard soldiers that were in the Santiago Cathedral who were about to be executed, but it was prevented by the Serranos and Guraberos. Is worth to note, that Trujillo's Grandpa was among these prisoners.

I love history and genealogy. I wish I had more time to research more documents and read more books. For example, Adriano L?pez Morillo was a Spanish prisoner during the war and he wrote a memoir of his time as prisoner in Santiago, is called "Memorias sobre la segunda reincorporaci?n de Santo Domingo a Espa?a, Santo Domingo". Is amazing, he narrates in detailed almost everything, including the people he met. There is one part were he mentions meeting one of my ancestors in a Gallera "Jos? Ram?n Dominguez". Is probably the best source for this period in DR history, but is super long (composed of 3 volumes) I've only read a fraction of his books. One day I want to finish the entire memoir.

Incredible story, thank you for this great thread and your captivating input. I wonder what ever happened to the crippled couple, their offspring, way of making their living? BTW for some reason, I always thought that the Bermudez were originally from Santiago.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I was reading this thread and it is fascinating. Thanks for this site. I'm hooked. I didn't know my ancestor came from La Vega.<br> https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927011

Your welcome, the way I went about it is by first finding the death registration of my grandfather. With that information I was able To find my Great grandfather and grandmother and on and on. Then I went forward and found all my indirect ancestors like great -great ?great-uncles, I?m up to 1152 ancestors now. Only if I was able to put stories into all those names like Gurabo444.
<br>Mi familia Cabrera, Taveras, Alba, y Defran de Santiago, Republica Dominicana - Family Tree

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your welcome, the way I went about it is by first finding the death registration of my grandfather. With that information I was able To find my Great grandfather and grandmother and on and on. Then I went forward and found all my indirect ancestors like great -great –great-uncles, I’m up to 1152 ancestors now. Only if I was able to put stories into all those names like Gurabo444.
<br>Mi familia Cabrera, Taveras, Alba, y Defran de Santiago, Republica Dominicana - Family Tree

Chellow, not sure if I asked this before, but in looking at your website I'm wondering if any of your Gonzalez Martinez or Martinez lived in Santo Domingo?