The double standard continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps it might have to do with the recent(past 100 years of American foreign policy and the way it has been enforced in Latin America) as well as the left leaning media of the DR. As has been stated: who is afraid of the French? American Free trade policy is designed to be good for America; any good it does for the other countries is nice but not necessary for American interests.

Sep 20, 2003
Perhaps it might have to do with the recent(past 100 years of American foreign policy and the way it has been enforced in Latin America) as well as the left leaning media of the DR. As has been stated: who is afraid of the French? American Free trade policy is designed to be good for America; any good it does for the other countries is nice but not necessary for American interests.

I think the points that Bob has made here, as well as comments by a few others(Squat,Chiri) are the reasons for the so-called "double standards." America's history in Latin America is horrendous. Feel free to research America's invasions, occupations, and land grabs for yourselves. The current policies( for example,CAFTA) in Latin America are also widely unpopular. Free Trade is unpopular in a lot of countries, except, perhaps, China. CAFTA's being pushed by America. I don't see the real advantages for the Dominicans.

If you think Dominicans are desperate and crime is bad now, wait until the legions of the newly unemployed decend upon the cities, then you will see what a real crimewave looks like.I don't see how ruining Dominican farmers will benefit the country in the long run. Most nations in the world look upon a countries ability to feed itself as a question of national security. Trujillo felt that way as well.

As for the constant attacks on France, review the history. France lost over a million soldiers in WW1 and hung in there. WW2, France went down in defeat, but so did every single country in continental Western Europe that Hitler attacked. Denmark and Holland gave up with barely a shot fired. Not to mention the other countries Hitler overran, Norway and Belgium)The British army was defeated and retreated across the English Channel(Dunkirk). It was the combination of American and Russian(3 out of every 4 German soldiers that fought in WW2 fought on the Russian front) that destroyed the Nazis. England was saved from complete defeat by the English Channel.Western Europe didn't have much aof a chance to defeat Hitelr on their own. At least France put up a fight(Hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded).

That France has chosen to pursue a different foreign policy path than America is their right. France is a lot more popular in the world right now than America.

The "double standard" in the Dominican Republic might have something to do with two separate American military invasions and occupations.Perhps if the French insisted upon having military exercises in Mexico, there would be some hostility? The average citizen of the world does not worry about the French invading them. They worry about the actions of the Americans.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com

Bob, please restate the obvious. ;)

I'll be the first to criticiz(s)e U.S. Foreign Policy towards Latin America but that it not the issue of this thread (Holy ****...did I just try to get a thread back on track????).

Cheers,

Scandall

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
This is why I love DR1....there is real comedy in here all the time!

Quote by Ogre..."France is a lot more popular in the world right now than America"

hahahahahahahahahahahahha..... you make a joke.............

Sep 19, 2005
I applaud you scandal.....some people have such single minded views.....they have some pet thing they hate or love and every subject revolves around that. Instead of looking at every issue on its own....everything isnt connected.....an open minded person weighs all the information he can aquire THEN...makes his voice known....if he even wants to.....

I swear if jesus christ came down to earth and said he was a replubican.....millions of democrats would all of the sudden hate him.....right aegap??

I wonder how many countries the US has INVADED...that were nice and content and peaceful..... and we just came in an knocked the baby rattle right out of their mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!

how many countries in the last 100 years have we invaded and now call a US territory after military intervention?

all these countrys want to pick and choose the benefits americans hand out.............

thanks for the billions in aid, now Fluck yourself............

back the DR......how does america offer help like building clinics in the DR without it being looted to oblivion by corrupt dominican politicians......they do it not with some private sector company, or aid paid to either dominican intrests, or companies paid to do the work by dominicans....

they get er done.....by using soldiers who are already on the pay roll... and they know it gets done

but dont we know if we paved the streets with shoes for ever kid and full shelves of school books and medicine on all the shelves.......someone would have to bad mouth it......because it came from the evil empire

bob

G

gary short

Thanks bob... I'm going to puke...."they get er done"?????????

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
joint military exercises

I think the joint beach landings were ment to impress upon Turkey, that France has stuanch military allies they can rely on if push comes to shove, over the Ottoman crises.

bow jest, cpt
fort zundof

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gee, Bob cry me a river why don't you. Puerto Rico, Guam, Solomon Islands, Okinawa, Cuba...etc. There are many places that didn't ask the Americans to come to their countries but they came, and they stayed. Are some of those places more properous than they may have been if the American hadn't invited themselves to come and stay, sure but that doesn't make you the good guys all the time. Like England, France...etc, the good old USA became a colonizer. If you look at American foreign policy, interference in other countries, dirty trick, CIA sponsored crap,...does it even out with the generous help that America has given to starving millions...etc? I guess that depends on which side you looking from. The hardest thing for anyone from any country is to accept someone from another country slagging their country. Try to look at American policies and actions through the eyes of someone from another country, and for the love of God, realise that critizing does not equal hatred.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I am not "making an argument"....I am just enjoying your comedy.....

By the way.....just a thought.... have you ever seen a group of French citizens fly down to the Dominican Republic with the specific purpose of offering humanitarian service to the poor here? Nope, me either. But I sure see a lot of Canadians and Americans doing that on a regular basis.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I think the joint beach landings were ment to impress upon Turkey, that France has stuanch military allies they can rely on if push comes to shove, over the Ottoman crises.

bow jest, cpt
fort zundof

Dude, you're the man. That almost killed me...had the bottle of Presidente to my lips when I read it...trying to dry off the computer now.

Scandall

G

gary short

Tell you what Celt202 this was discussed a while back in another thread. I commented in that thread as I have direct experience with the aftermath of a so called trade agreement with the good ole USA.

Sep 20, 2003
By the way.....just a thought.... have you ever seen a group of French citizens fly down to the Dominican Republic with the specific purpose of offering humanitarian service to the poor here? Nope, me either. But I sure see a lot of Canadians and Americans doing that on a regular basis.

Obviously you don't have anything to back you your school boy taunts. It seems no one does.

Mar 21, 2002
Nonsense

If you think Dominicans are desperate and crime is bad now, wait until the legions of the newly unemployed decend upon the cities, then you will see what a real crimewave looks like.I don't see how ruining Dominican farmers will benefit the country in the long run. Most nations in the world look upon a countries ability to feed itself as a question of national security. Trujillo felt that way as well.

The barbarian hordes of dominicans shall descend upon the cities and wreak havoc. Millions will plunge the Republic into despair as the assaulted retreat into the mountains and the sea. Women will cringe in fear as their husbands unable to repel the masses fall under their mighty onslaught.

Wow, is this a repeat of Odoacer's sacking of Rome? History does repeat itself. I used to enjoy this alarmist BS in the past. Now it's just plain NONSENSE.

Capital and labor will be displaced in other directions like it always has in the DR and worldwide. When sugar went under in the East, similar proclamations of doom were forecast by alarmist dominican economists. Nothing materialized.

Those thousands of state sugar employees used to graft engaged in other activities. Many spilled over into construction as one can witness by the East's explosion of hotels, i.e. Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort. The sugar mills are empty but the workers are working in other fields.

Similarly when the Free Zones underwent a severe contraction or total closure like in Esperanza, the alarmist economists spoke of the dominican economy's collapse.

When under Hipolito's term when the peso reached 55, it was according to many economists and some here at DR1, (Golo, Mondongo, myself) the peso was going to reach 100. The bonds were not going to be paid and a collapse was underway. Result, nothing materialized.

Lesson learned, collapses aren't so easy to come by. Black Thursday, Oct. 24, 1929 happened once. That was the DR's major shock. Since then only minor corrections have occurred. Yes, under Balaguer, Antonio Guzman, and Salvador Jorge Blanco there were trying times, i.e. IMF, but not the national collapse heralded by many.

So much for the blathering blight blown through the bull horn.

Sep 20, 2003
Onion and Carrots, when agriculture goes, are all the unemployed going to find jobs building hotels? Working as maids? Global free trade is a disaster for many nations, including the United States. How is the DR going to deal with the economic fall out?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you think American foreign policy is more popular in the world than France's, then you are only kidding yourself.
I agree. Being a major player in the UN Oil For Food scandal-where the French (among others) simply lied and stabbed the US in the back-IS, indeed, more popular.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.