The double standard continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
ps. I didn't quite understand the thing about the Ottoman crisis (pl?) :ermm:

ggrande, I believe it was a tounge-in-cheek allusion to France's supposed "glory days" prior to the First World War. Anachronistic France-bashing perhaps, but witty nonetheless.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
By the way.....just a thought.... have you ever seen a group of French citizens fly down to the Dominican Republic with the specific purpose of offering humanitarian service to the poor here? Nope, me either. But I sure see a lot of Canadians and Americans doing that on a regular basis.
Off the top of my head I can name one French humanitarian organisation that is active here, Aide en Action. There are more. The French government development agency funds programmes through the embassy, and the very hefty EU funding the DR receives is partly from France. In addition, there are a number of small-scale projects run by expats here. What the French troops are doing here, however comical, is to some extent a form of assistance. Disaster preparedness is as important as building schools and clinics. If done properly. In both cases.

For obvious, and historical reasons, there are even more French organisations and individuals working in Haiti.

There are few or no French people posting on DR1, either to argue with the French bashers or to inform about humanitarian work carried out by French organisations in the DR. That's probably why you conclude it doesn't exist.

Also, maybe we Europeans don't take criticism of our countries' foreign policies so personally? If my government is doing something I disagree with, I'm the first to criticise it, and don't take it badly when a foreigner criticises it. If I believe their criticisms to be unfounded, I will put forward my counter argument, and unless they're being completely unreasonable I'll also take the trouble to understand why/how they came to holding those opinions. Try me!:cheeky:

Mar 21, 2002
Do you really think the average Dominican will do you the favor of just "perishing"? I don't think so.

When CAFTA puts in the last nail on the coffin, dominican farmers would have been dying long before that. I know some who as a result of their PRD loyalty are now happily bagging groceries in Washington Heights.

Sep 19, 2005
Why is it that when a thread turns into France-bashing everybody is laughing and when it turns into USA-bashing people are incensed and the thread is closed?? Double standards? Better no bashing at all IMHO.

That is the point of this thread in the first place.........BUT for the exact opposite reason.

threads get sclosed when american bashing happens because it aint DR related any more.....and seldom does anyone ever care to even talk about france.

bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
US policy in America Latina is a long history of screw-ups.. All this free-trade stuff is indeed a trick, I already detailled why in my other posts, so if fellow DR1'ers are interested, they can search them...

As of all the jokes made about the french, yes, you are right, the US are SOOOOO MUCH CLEVER !!! Just watch the wonderfully smart idea to INVADE Irak to take away those DANGEROUS WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTIONS !!!!

-Remember Colin Powell at the UN with his little bottle of water ??? He was saying that they had proof about the WMD !!!

The USA are soooo much smarter : look at the way they are dealing smartly with Irak : After showing off in 2003 on a warship with a big VICTORY sign...

So what can we expect with such a trustfull nation ?

I agree Scandall, you are soooo right : let's just blindly handle all the control to all those nice folks in DC, and they will take good care of us, just like they did with the rest of America Latina since the Spaniards are gone...

It is such a clever idea not to produce food anymore, let's just buy all those yummy canned goods from the Midwest.

-Who can argue with it ??? Campesinos will all work as IT technicians in the Cyberpark !!!

Yeah, Scandall, you are just so fair with that "Double Standard" post !!! Let's just keep on demonizing the french, let's just bitch about how unfait it is to bash poor innocent good willing Americans !!!

-Hey, why is it that the DR needs any campos anyway ???

You are just so right, they will adapt, they will find a way, but producing its food is just a bad idea...

Let's just say AMEN to the smart people in charge out there in Washington, they proved to be sooo reliable !!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe instead of rehashing the same old arguments for and against the US in relation to DR-CAFTA, the troops in the SW, the invasions, and all that, we should address the topic of hypocrisy/inconsistency.

Although critical of some aspects of US foreign policy I despair at the excesses of anti-Americanism as expressed by so many on the Latin American left. Otherwise reasonable people will argue that 9/11 was an inside job, and so forth. However, when it comes to Spain which does not have a clean copybook where the DR and its other former colonies are concerned, nothing. It's not just a case of recent memories - mention Sir Francis Drake ("el pirata inglés") and Dominicans still seethe!

Ditto in Haiti with France. The US troops were resented, the French welcomed. Slight irony there, n'est ce pas?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Maybe instead of rehashing the same old arguments for and against the US in relation to DR-CAFTA, the troops in the SW, the invasions, and all that, we should address the topic of hypocrisy/inconsistency.QUOTE]

Thank you. At least someone understands the topic.

:)

Scandall

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
2gummhy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.