The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Start the bulldozers up head towards Sosua..........Time to start over again ... restart the process...
Economically this has already happened.
What do you think should be relacing
the livelihoods of the thousands of people
who live and work up there?

Reactions: Brendan Hubley

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
New Broom sweeps clean.

Sosua is looking squeaky clean with Willy's workers doing a great job.
I've not seen it that tidy before.
Let's hope they can put a regular cleaning roster system in place and it's not just a flash in the pan to impress the locals.

One is allowed to dream, no?

This would be a nice time to pay attention to our neglected beach.

Installing some trash cans, bringing in some sand where needed and a general clean up would do wonders.
Bringing in sand could widen the beach like mother nature did to the El Batey end.
Widening the beach could provide some jobs and we could easily have double the beach.

For not a lot of money we could have a safe, clean beach that would attract visitors from all over the country as well as the tourists.
Some permanent moorings could be installed so that what is left of the reef is protected from anchor damage.

How about some beach lighting so we can attract visitors at nighttime.
I am no expert to be sure but it is time Sosua recognized what a gem it has in our beach.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How about some beach lighting so we can attract visitors at nighttime.
I am no expert to be sure but it is time Sosua recognized what a gem it has in our beach.

10 years ago that would have been great. But it's now an open sewer in behind the vendor shacks. The only fix is to level it, dig out the toxic waste, and start over with new 12 story buildings.

Weren't you looking to down size? There will be great views!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
10 years ago that would have been great. But it's now an open sewer in behind the vendor shacks. The only fix is to level it, dig out the toxic waste, and start over with new 12 story buildings.

Weren't you looking to down size? There will be great views!

It's pretty much the same as 10 years ago...more boring but basically the same. Cows fall inside the shacks from behind.

That would be a disaster of epic proportions if they built 12 story building in behind...good god, great way to ruin a beach.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's pretty much the same as 10 years ago...more boring but basically the same. Cows fall inside the shacks from behind.

That would be a disaster of epic proportions if they built 12 story building in behind...good god, great way to ruin a beach.

It probably won't be 12. I think the plans are for 5 or 7 floors. But something n eeds to be done there. It's horribly unsanitary the way it is now. I'm surprised somebody hasn't gotten deathly sick from eating on the beach.

Just curious, if you owned the land behind Playa Sosua, what would you do with it?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bulldoze the entire strip, dig out the feces, pour veevaporub in to mask the smell, built low rise condotels no more than 3-4 stories
Set up a public access on each end with clean bathrooms and sewars, and 10 gift shops selling the same $shit they sell now, maybe 6 restaurants, life goes on.
This may happen in 2050 I read on Detras.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It probably won't be 12. I think the plans are for 5 or 7 floors. But something n eeds to be done there. It's horribly unsanitary the way it is now. I'm surprised somebody hasn't gotten deathly sick from eating on the beach.

Just curious, if you owned the land behind Playa Sosua, what would you do with it?

I have no idea as I am a poor man. I am not saying the owner do not have the right to do what they deem best for the beach...I am just saying that it would be a disaster to make Sosua beach just like every other beach that becomes inaccessible to the locals and undesirable to visit. It always has been my favorite part of Sosua which I visit every day when there. I have had it happen to other beaches I have frequented over the years in the Caribbean. It is always a shame when people lose a beach.

The funny thing is, I have always thought the restaurants have become much cleaner and of better quality over the past 15 years. Yes, washroom facilities have always been an issue.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have no idea as I am a poor man. I am not saying the owner do not have the right to do what they deem best for the beach...I am just saying that it would be a disaster to make Sosua beach just like every other beach that becomes inaccessible to the locals and undesirable to visit. It always has been my favorite part of Sosua which I visit every day when there. I have had it happen to other beaches I have frequented over the years in the Caribbean. It is always a shame when people lose a beach.

The funny thing is, I have always thought the restaurants have become much cleaner and of better quality over the past 15 years. Yes, washroom facilities have always been an issue.

Strange enough, many poor people I know do not get the opportunity to travel to another country several times a year.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
See
Bulldoze the entire strip, dig out the feces, pour veevaporub in to mask the smell, built low rise condotels no more than 3-4 stories
Set up a public access on each end with clean bathrooms and sewars, and 10 gift shops selling the same $shit they sell now, maybe 6 restaurants, life goes on.
or leave it the way it is and just fix the sewer system , or add a sewer system. Sometimes after it rains It seems the drainage system and sewer system is connected

Reactions: ramesses

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Baporuu for everyone ... it cures everything .... good point ...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Strange enough, many poor people I know do not get the opportunity to travel to another country several times a year.

Nor do I. It takes everything I can do to travel once a year...been less than that lately. Sometimes things happen in life.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
With Willy recently being elected mayor, I do not see any real changes
taking place on the beach anytime soon other than several beach bars
and restaurants being for sale in the next couple of months due to this
Covid1984 power grab.,

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Covid1984 power grab.,

Covid1984 power grab…..exactly.
Globally.
What they can't fairly win and integrate, they are taking from you.
All under the guise of the name "pandemic".

Reactions: cavok

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Covid1984 power grab.,

Shirley you can't be serious. I agree it might not be anytime soon. But do you really think a Mayor would try to stop a mult imillion dollar project on private property?
For starters, they couldn't. But why would they even try? Because some gringos think the squatter shacks are quaint?

Reactions: cavok
Sep 22, 2009
Shirley you can't be serious. I agree it might not be anytime soon. But do you really think a Mayor would try to stop a mult imillion dollar project on private property?
For starters, they couldn't. But why would they even try? Because some gringos think the squatter shacks are quaint?
Imagine the DR without the tourism and economic epicenter that is Sosua!

Status
Not open for further replies.