The Ghetto-ization and Chopo-ization Of Dominican Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My dear CCCCC, I don't know of anywhere in the world where things are actually getting better, always worse. Dominicans problems must be worked out by dominicans, but we can't deny things are falling apart everywhere, and awfully fast. That should move us to think about the reasons for that, which are global, not local.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hookah culture is taking root big time in The DR. Nowadays you see them in almost every bar or just at private parties. Yes they can be used for drugs I guess, but most of the times these are just used for flavored water vapor. Still letting your baby inhale this is fcuked up IMO.

In terms of ghetto-ization of The DR I would say the main reasons are a combination of the fact that nowadays everyone has cable TV so they see American rappers (i.e. Little Wayne, etc), how they dress and act and want to imitate that and "DominicanYorks" who go back (Remember most Dominicans in The US and Europe live in the ghettos) dressing and acting that way, etc...For instance not too long ago Tattoos were still taboo in The DR, but nowadays they have become common place again due to those influences.

So, ignorant and destructive behavior can be traced back to music videos?

Which videos were the kids from Columbine watching? Who was Timothy McVeigh's favorite artist? Which Phat Azz beats were George Zimmerman or Adam Lanza or James Holmes or Wade Page (the guy who killed the folks in the Sikh temple) listening to?

Be careful when you refer to "bad influences" in the "ghetto." You're making a racial inference. Especially because, nowadays, the most dangerous place in America is most likely your teenage son's bedroom.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is a global issue, not just the DR.

As I said when I saw this on Facebook, even monkeys wouldn't go this low, sad!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Which videos were the kids from Columbine watching? Who was Timothy McVeigh's favorite artist? Which Phat Azz beats were George Zimmerman or Adam Lanza or James Holmes or Wade Page (the guy who killed the folks in the Sikh temple) listening to?

Be careful when you refer to "bad influences" in the "ghetto." You're making a racial inference. Especially because, nowadays, the most dangerous place in America is most likely your teenage son's bedroom.

I agree. Violent music and violent videos are just another consequence of the same issues affecting every young and not so young person anywhere. You'd be blaming the messenger....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
He seems to be smoking a hookah. These are not necessarily used for drugs, most are just flavored water vapor, but still it's a nasty habit to teach to a child

I remember many nights in some park in Santo Domingo Este sitting around with a bunch of Dominicans drinking Brugal andf 911 smoking on a POINTLESS hookah.

Its not a "square" or weed it is merely puffing on a plastic mouthpiece and blowing out the smoke NO BUZZ NO NADA!!!
and Dominicans can smoke the JUNK!!! for hours.

I get sucking on "cancer sticks", a joint, cigar, a pipe(not a crack pipe lol) I even understand sucking on a "titty", but a Hookah I do not get.

Feb 15, 2005
He seems to be smoking a hookah. These are not necessarily used for drugs, most are just flavored water vapor, but still it's a nasty habit to teach to a child
That's just not flavored water vapor, come on Bro!
That's favored charcoal you're inhaling and absolutely not healthy for an infant.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
This is not limited in scope to the Dominican Republic. You can pretty much label much of Washington Heights in New York City the same way.

Yes; Washington Heights is a neighborhood in New York City where you will likely find all the Dominicans who were able to cross the border; legally or not.

But this silly behavior doesn't only come from Dominicans. This is rampant stupidity in general.

This is not only Dominican behavior. Have any of you been in the tri states area, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. You can see there some fine sample of white trash.

Go to Google or YouTube and search for Wal-Mart customers and let?s see the fine specimens that you may be able to find.

May 12, 2005
This is not only Dominican behavior. Have any of you been in the tri states area, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. You can see there some fine sample of white trash.

Go to Google or YouTube and search for Wal-Mart customers and let’s see the fine specimens that you may be able to find.

I think we all know that but this thread is about the culture in the DR and who and what is influencing this type of behavior. It's not white trailer trash or loners who listen to heavy metal and play video games. DR used to be a more conservative culture and now that has changed dramatically. I doubt anyone could support and condone babies smoking hookah, 10 year old girls shaking their stuff like they're in a reggaeton video, rampant tigueraje, etc.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I know the pictured is intended for it to look like the child is smoking from a hookah - and if it is true that the child is being made to smoke tabacco or drugs, then the mother should be jailed.
But - could it be just a vaporizer to help the child with breathing??
When I took my kid to the medical clinic for stitches, there were two other children in the waiting area breathing from vaporizers directly to their mouths to help with breathing or breaking up the chest cold that they had. One had a face mask. The other child was small and the mother held the tube to the child's mouth. The tubes did emit a smoky vapor, so it did look like smoke, but it was a vaporizer.
So - just wondering if it is really just a vaporizer - and the picture was on the web because it looked like the child was smoking from a hookah to get a reaction out of people.

Inhalors:

baby inhalator - Google zoeken

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
That's just not flavored water vapor, come on Bro!
That's favored charcoal you're inhaling and absolutely not healthy for an infant.

I agree is not a healthy habit. However, usually the charcoal is used only to heat the water, which is in a separate compartment...

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I think we all know that but this thread is about the culture in the DR and who and what is influencing this type of behavior. It's not white trailer trash or loners who listen to heavy metal and play video games. DR used to be a more conservative culture and now that has changed dramatically. I doubt anyone could support and condone babies smoking hookah, 10 year old girls shaking their stuff like they're in a reggaeton video, rampant tigueraje, etc.

Frank .... I agree with you about the influence of the ghetto/thug lifestyle .... and it's a bad influence at that. But they also see some people who they consider to be wealthy/educated/powerful (gringo tourists .... and maybe some "backpackers":p ?) who come to the island and party hard .... along with the booze and drugs. No doubt ... that "lifestyle" may have some influence as well .....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

How convenient that you ignore the violent aspect of ghetto music.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Which "Ghetto" is THAT?????
I believe that "ART" imitates "LIFE", not "visa versa"!
Of course it's always much easier to blame "Others" for your bad habits.
Then,who do you "Blame" for a countries "Good Habits"????????
The pope???????????????????
I really don't care what teenagers and others are doing in North America, or Europe, I live here with my kids, not THERE!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It's the child's parents that must be the biggest influence on their children, not society at large.
If your parents just drink, dance,screw,and fight, so will their kids!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How convenient that you ignore the violent aspect of ghetto music.
Chip, it's not just ghetto music that is violent. There is PLENTY of violent non-ghetto White Guy music:

[video=youtube;MRdQhL_72ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRdQhL_72ac[/video]

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
what ever happen to music like?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UUDziTN1WmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I happen to like "Reggeton, Rap,Dembow, and other types of "Ghetto" music.
It never makes me want to rob,shoot,drink,beat,kill,or anything else!
Well, when I see those "BBs", (Beautiful Booties) I do get the urge to have unprotected anal sex!
BUTT, that's just me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And I don't blame anyone else.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Dude seriously? You're making a huge leap from what I said to Columbine, OKC, etc...which BTW when was the last time you heard of a mass shooting in The DR?...but that's a different topic altogether.

What I said was that the reason you see what people in this board are calling ghetto behavior has a lot do with the fact that Dominicans are now more likely to see US culture (via Cable TV) and returning Dominicanyork than 20 years ago for instance..."American pop culture" is probably The US greatest export and whether we like it or not the youth around the globe who watch US cable want to imitate American "ghetto" culture.

Note that you need to make a distinction between what people are calling ghetto here (equate to "trashy" dressing an hood rat behavior) vs. your example of destructive behavior (murdering, robbing, etc). Ghetto behavior in this context, at least the way I understand it's being used here, means wearing your pants falling off your @ss, getting those ugly tattoos of marijuana leaves, getting your "grill", "smoking trees" or Hookah for that matter, etc...and yes those "fashions" have all originated or made popular in the "ghettos" of the USA and youth from other countries or the burbs are just following suit. It has nothing to do with violent behavior per se, but a lot of older people associate the two because often times they DO go hand in hand.

Feb 15, 2005
I agree is not a healthy habit. However, usually the charcoal is used only to heat the water, which is in a separate compartment...

It's the same concept as a bong with weed and doesn't one get high? Actually you are incorrect, the water only acts as a coolant so that you can inhale more of the smoke. In this case the smoke is generated by the charcoal and fruity smelling gel gives it the aroma. But it still is charcoal smoke anyway you cook it and therefore bad for infants. As far as I know charcoal contains carbon monoxide gas and this is why you should never have a charcoal barbecue indoors

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hookah" smoking is VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!
The Arabs have been doing it for thousands of years.
It makes you want to strap on an explosive vest and kill anyone you can find!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.