The Home Broken Into In Sosua area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gary short

How about ......WARNING ELECTRIC FENCE.......not written in spanish or french for that matter. Seriously is an electric fence doable. Big dogs like pitbulls and rottwiellers scare me to death even if I was the master. They don't give you any warning before they rip your head off. Who knows maybe "Chewy" has a bad day and decides to chow down on....... YOU!!!

What bread was Rocky Rocky?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
Pick up a crime tabloid from your home city and you'll realize how much safer it is here.
There are very few home invasions in the US. Unfortunately, that seems to be the crime de jour on the North Coast.

G

gary short

That's what "breed" was Rocky Rocky........I can't get the hang of this edit thingy.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
That is the difference....home burglery is one thing and home invasion is another. I think that a home invasion in the USA would carry not only theft charges but a whole slew of others. A person doing this in the USA would have to specifically have it in for the homeowner. Here they don't know any better.
Home invasion is just freakin scary. What if they come in when you are not home. Just your wife and children?????????

Okay..........guns, mace, machete, dog, alarm system........what else?

I pretty much know who broke into my place. I spoke to the police investigator in charge. I explained my ideas. He said, okay we will talk to them. The idea was that if he helped me, I would help him. He called the first guy in for questioning but not the second guy. I don't get it. They just dropped it. Never called the second guy in and never searched the building. Just let it die. Every time I drive by the station they are sitting out in front bsing. Good for nothing. Total losers. F*%K Them.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
Home invasions are on the rise in the U.S. Do an archives search in Newsday (Long Islands newspaper) and you will see that it is on the rise. There was one just the other day in Bayshore, NY.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
quite true home invasion is quite different from a burglary. for a home invasion whatever the person(s) want is such value to them that people being home doesnt much matter. they intend on taking the item(s) or doing something specifically to the person(s) inside. in the case of burglary it was more of an accident someone being at home.the idea of an electric fence does sound good but who knows what kind of laws youd be breaking when someone just touches your fence and decides to sue you. a tall wire fence with razor wire seems more applicable for such instances. lots of razor wire across the top so whoever crosses it upon landing on the ground inside wont be in any shape to continue up to the house could be a good idea.this is usually the point where you want your dogs to come over and eat the evidence!

G

gary short

I was talking to a friend today about the growing crime rate in the D.R. He was surprised to hear how bad it has become. He claims 10 years ago the police aggressively pursued the bad guys with a take no prisoners attitude.
What has changed.
I ask myself if I want to live in a place with a rising crime rate.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rellosk said:
There are very few home invasions in the US. Unfortunately, that seems to be the crime de jour on the North Coast.
I wasn't specifying home jackings, but if you want to look at car jackings, well, North America has us beat by a landslide.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
I was talking to a friend today about the growing crime rate in the D.R. He was surprised to hear how bad it has become. He claims 10 years ago the police aggressively pursued the bad guys with a take no prisoners attitude.
What has changed.
I ask myself if I want to live in a place with a rising crime rate.
His claims are a lot of baloney.
We get a lot more service from the cops, than 10 years ago.
Heck, they didn't even have wheels in those days, at least, not around here, they didn't.
As for the growing crime rate, I don't believe that either.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
That's what "breed" was Rocky Rocky........I can't get the hang of this edit thingy.
First, let me say that I agree with you about certain dog breeds being to friggin scary to own, specially pitbulls.
Rocky was a Spanish bulldog, and he basically amounted to a giant Pitbull, and quite frankly, I was scared of him myself for years.
German Shepherds, Rhodesian ridgebacks, Great Danes, Dobermans, and many other breeds are great for watching the house and never wanting to eat their masters.

G

gary short

Rocky said:
His claims are a lot of baloney.
We get a lot more service from the cops, than 10 years ago.
Heck, they didn't even have wheels in those days, at least, not around here, they didn't.
As for the growing crime rate, I don't believe that either.
Good I'm glad to hear it. I won't change my plans. Where I currently live crime has skyrocketed and the police can't get a handle on it because of liberal laws and the inability of the judicial system to prosecute. Crystal Meth and Crack are the cause. It makes me sick to my stomach to see what has happened to my city and I look at the D.R. hoping to god it doesn't happen there.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
gary short said:
Good I'm glad to hear it. I won't change my plans. Where I currently live crime has skyrocketed and the police can't get a handle on it because of liberal laws and the inability of the judicial system to prosecute. Crystal Meth and Crack are the cause. It makes me sick to my stomach to see what has happened to my city and I look at the D.R. hoping to god it doesn't happen there.

Most of the thefts now are also drug related. For the past decade, the DR has been the stopover point for drugs en route to Europe or America. Unfortunately, a market has been created here and now a lot of it is kept and sold here. Yes the police were more efficient in the 80?s because there was next to no crime. Maybe they didn?t have wheels but if you paid for the Concho they would show up fast and do the job. In the post Trujillo and Balaguer days, crime was down but the new liberal attitude that has destroyed most of European and American countries is having the same effect here. It is still safer than several other countries and most Caribbean islands with exception to a few British colonies but it?s not going to get better. Give the DR another 10 years and you will have to lock yourself in at 7:00 PM every night like several other islands. (I hope I?m wrong on this one.)

G

gary short

I believe the police have got to be heavy handed now otherwise the situation is going to get out of control.
In Belize years ago it became dangerous for tourists and before long travel alerts were posted. Tourism came to a grinding halt. Perhaps this will happen in the D.R.
Such a beautiful place.......it would be a shame having to look over your shoulder all of the time.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Gary...it is beautiful but you do have to look over your shoulder. Don't take anything for granted here. Be Careful !

G

gary short

I hear ya. I guess I naturally look over the shoulder. I just don't want to have to pack to feel safe besides it would get in the way when I snorkel.
By the way Snuffy sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Harrod

May 17, 2006
Will be moving to Caberete late July early Aug.This has scared the S... out of me ,just how serious is this?
I logged on here just to ask a simple question about whwere to source Stained glass as I do this for a hobby now i,m not so sure I want to move?Anyone have any ideas?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Harrod said:
Will be moving to Caberete late July early Aug.This has scared the S... out of me ,just how serious is this?
I logged on here just to ask a simple question about whwere to source Stained glass as I do this for a hobby now i,m not so sure I want to move?Anyone have any ideas?

Don't panic, it's not that bad. You're reading a thread about crime, so naturally information is concentrated here.

In fact with the tremendous surge in development in the Sosua/Cabarete area the police are cracking down in some neighborhoods. There is no way, with all the gringos pouring in hundreds of millions of dollars, that Cabarete will become too dangerous for you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Danny W said:
Don't panic, it's not that bad. You're reading a thread about crime, so naturally information is concentrated here.

In fact with the tremendous surge in development in the Sosua/Cabarete area the police are cracking down in some neighborhoods. There is no way,
with all the gringos pouring in hundreds of millions of dollars, that Cabarete will become too dangerous for you.
Thank God that somebody's got his head screwed on right.
Some of the stuff I'm reading here is so far from the truth, it makes me wonder about hidden agendas.

In '91, when my house got robbed, I chased the burglars and got their license plate number.
Do you think the cops would or could do anything about it?
Dream on.
I hired motoconchos and parked them at various intersections, and we did catch the dude after a few days.
When we got him arrested, the cops were shaking his hand and hugging him like he was a long lost buddy, and the next think I knew, his POS mafioso Swiss boss in Cabarete was at the police station threatening me, if I pursued it, which I did, and had to move out of the house, just to stay alive.

in "93, when a Dominican attacked me in the middle of the night, after subduing him and getting the cops to come and arrest him, I landed up in jail with him, "FOR FIGHTING".

In the last 5 years, I have got much better service from the cops, including when a Haitian woman stole my gun, not only did the cops catch her, they got her to admit to whom she sold it to, a fellow in Santiago, and they went there and retrieved it and got it back to me.

There are many more stories, of course, as so many people come to me for translation assistance at the cop shop, and I can truly say that service has improved in the last few years.
I'm not trying to say that things are up to world standards, by no means, but they are on the improve.

Of course, we should all be concerned about crime and do our part to help out, specially the problems associated with Crack.
It's our civic duty to do what we can, otherwise, we become part of the problem.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
money

Not to be a wet blanket but, why don't they appear to be as tough on the Dominican "druggies" as they would be on foreign "druggies?"
Or is it just a matter of the money they can get from the families of the foreigners compared to what they can get from the Dominican's families?
mkohn:surprised

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Eddy said:
Give the DR another 10 years and you will have to lock yourself in at 7:00 PM every night like several other islands. (I hope I?m wrong on this one.)
I also hope you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.