The Home Broken Into In Sosua area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gary short

Having said all of that I have never felt really threatened and never not in control of a possibly dangerous situation, maybe I'm lucky.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
White Hats vs the Black Hats

Waiting for Police service to improve is going to take too long.
I do believe it's time for us to get together at a local level to discuss a few measures we can implement, that will make us & our homes safer, without having to resort to living in a fortress.
We can easily have a number ready on speed dial, to call a neighbour, as Quaqualita did, and also a few defensive tools, that we should not mention on the net, so that the crooks don't get any inside info.
As brash & bold as some of these thieves appear to be, they seldomly rob homes, without being informed & well prepared.
If they start getting nasty susprises that they were not expecting, it could put a damper on how brave they feel about making future attempts.

I've been working on some plans for awhile now and will be ready to meet with other Sosua expats in a week or so (as soon as I get over this darn Gripe).
It would involve 4 things.
1) Quick intercommunication amongst us.
2) Addtional defenses.
3) Some assistance to the Police.
4) Entrapment.
I would suggest that nothing be discussed in public on this board, so as to shift the element of surprise in our favour.
How about a meeting within the next 2 weeks, in the AM?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Certainly would be interested in the info that comes from the meeting if it happens. We wont be there until the end of June and full time starting in Aug.

Bob K

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bob K said:
Certainly would be interested in the info that comes from the meeting if it happens. We wont be there until the end of June and full time starting in Aug.

Bob K
I'm sure that someone will bring you up to speed, but we will not publish anything that could be useful to the crooks.

Miamimike60

May 24, 2006
rellosk said:
There are very few home invasions in the US. Unfortunately, that seems to be the crime de jour on the North Coast.

Wow! You obviously don't live in Miami-Home Invasion Robberies are rampant in all parts in our fair city(miami)!

Mar 21, 2002
Sure

Eddy said:
But is that really a life. There must me someone out there that can put pressure on the Gov. to get the police to do their job.

The pressure comes by raising their salaries, getting better equipment for them, how about AC for their police precincts.

Ex-pats must truly love the DR to put up with this crap. I wouldn't if I were somewhere else. I know its not your fault but what do you expect from workers who earn a slave wage barely enough to eat BADLY?

The US sends them back with a B.A. in criminality ready for an inefficient police force. Have you guys ever thought the police are in for the take?

By day serious round bellied cop sitting in front of destacamento and by night SUPEEERRRR THIEEEEEEEF!

I'm very sorry Quaqualita because of your child. Dominican thugs are as ruthless as Jamaican thugs.

Despite all the horror stories, you'll be happy to know that nothing ever has happened to Onions and Carrots or his family.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Onions&carrots said:
The pressure comes by raising their salaries, getting better equipment for them, how about AC for their police precincts.

Ex-pats must truly love the DR to put up with this crap. I wouldn't if I were somewhere else. I know its not your fault but what do you expect from workers who earn a slave wage barely enough to eat BADLY?

The US sends them back with a B.A. in criminality ready for an inefficient police force. Have you guys ever thought the police are in for the take?

By day serious round bellied cop sitting in front of destacamento and by night SUPEEERRRR THIEEEEEEEF!

I'm very sorry Quaqualita because of your child. Dominican thugs are as ruthless as Jamaican thugs.

Despite all the horror stories, you'll be happy to know that nothing ever has happened to Onions and Carrots or his family.

This Ex-Pat loved the DR but nearly five years on we are about to leave. Just posted about our dogs being poisioned with my neighbours dogs too. We are so sad to think about these dogs dying in this way. We still have some dogs that luckily were not running around outside the property and now they are inside our house.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Chester...sorry to hear about your dogs. I cannot help but relate for I have been here about five years also and never quiet got the hang of it here. To much that you need to ignore. I'm not good at that. Maybe if I were single it would be different. But I have to think of my children...it really comes down to them. I wish you and yours the best.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Snuffy said:
Chester...sorry to hear about your dogs. I cannot help but relate for I have been here about five years also and never quiet got the hang of it here. To much that you need to ignore. I'm not good at that. Maybe if I were single it would be different. But I have to think of my children...it really comes down to them. I wish you and yours the best.

Thanks Snuffy ... we are still in shock about these dogs... can you imagine my 13 year old son who loves all animals saw the left overs of our dogs.. one of them died just outside the walls of our house.

Ohmite

Feb 25, 2003
I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs.
I have 6, and the thought of one or more being poisoned takes me very close to a level of anger I reserve only for the welfair of my family.
Poisoning dogs is sadly nothing new around here, and sometimes a sign that there will be a robbery in the near future, so beware.
This reminds me to get some poison kits from Dr. Bob.
They're good stored for about a year. If your dog is poisoned, and you get to it early enough, you can save it's life with a few injections. Never had to do it, thank god, but it's comforting to know that with a little $ and preparation, I may be able to save a friends life.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, and the fact that the DR is no longer a place you feel comfortable living. It take a bit from us all when these things happen.

Steve

Mar 21, 2002
Level of Aggression

Chester4 said:
This Ex-Pat loved the DR but nearly five years on we are about to leave. Just posted about our dogs being poisioned with my neighbours dogs too. We are so sad to think about these dogs dying in this way. We still have some dogs that luckily were not running around outside the property and now they are inside our house.

The level of aggression has risen sharply in recent years. They won't just steal, rob but there is a sadistic input to it all. I hope the DR doesn't become another Jamaica or resembles the favelas of Brazil.

In all honesty, I am amazed at the resiliency of ex-pats and to the degrees of crime they are willing to endure in order to remain in the DR. Imagine if all ex-pats simultaneously were to pull out. Now that would make a statement to the DR authorities of a major problem in the country.

To physically and linguistically stand out nowadays is not a novelty as it used to be. There is real danger involved because of this. It's a sad reality that dominicans will always view foreigners as endless reservoirs of wealth as a never ending river fall.

Mar 21, 2002
Thumbs up, buddy

Rocky said:
I'm sure that someone will bring you up to speed, but we will not publish anything that could be useful to the crooks.

As many times as you have been robbed, you have staying power. To endure all that and continue in the DR must speak volumes of your character.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Onions&carrots said:
As many times as you have been robbed, you have staying power. To endure all that and continue in the DR must speak volumes of your character.
Well, I thank you for the kind words, but can't quite take credit in the way you think.
I had staying power because it was my dream to live in tropics, and I hate the cold, and because I refuse to lose.
Now I am in the enviable position of being very secure where I live, and surrounded by lots of good people.
It was a rough road, but the rewards were worth it.
And the more people that I help avoid being robbed or scammed, the better the quality of the neighbourhood.
The better the neighbourhood, the better my life.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Cows Welcome

Onions&carrots said:
....if all ex-pats simultaneously were to pull out. Now that would make a statement to the DR authorities of a major problem in the country.
Not really.
They have experienced and therefore know that there always is a constant influx of paradise lovers and/or desperados.
It's true, more and more leave, but others come to fill this void, fresh money so to say.
Whereas other countries have learned that immigrants can provide valuable inputs to a society and even attract them with incentives and special programmes (e.g. Panam?) the DR keeps looking at the foreigners as milking cows whose money only is welcomed.

m'frog

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I just don't think they are that concerned with us. There is a lot of money here without expats. They don't need us. You are welcome here but they are not going to go out of their way for you. And it is not going to change. Don't think you will see a dramatic change in your time here. It is not going to happen.

You do two things. First you do your best not to become a victim. Second, you prepare for what you will do after you become a victim. That means you work to speak the language and get to know people who can help you should you need it. Things are going to happen to you while you are here. You may hit someone who is driving a pasola. You may get held up at gunpoint. You may have your dogs poisoned. You may get seriously ill. It helps to know people who can help you. You may not know the exact person in some gov. bureacracy where you need a specific document or process accomplished. But you may know someone who can make a call and say, help this guy. That has been done for me here. And it made the process so much easier.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Snuffy said:
I just don't think they are that concerned with us. There is a lot of money here without expats. They don't need us. You are welcome here but they are not going to go out of their way for you. And it is not going to change. Don't think you will see a dramatic change in your time here. It is not going to happen.

You do two things. First you do your best not to become a victim. Second, you prepare for what you will do after you become a victim. That means you work to speak the language and get to know people who can help you should you need it. Things are going to happen to you while you are here. You may hit someone who is driving a pasola. You may get held up at gunpoint. You may have your dogs poisoned. You may get seriously ill. It helps to know people who can help you. You may not know the exact person in some gov. bureacracy where you need a specific document or process accomplished. But you may know someone who can make a call and say, help this guy. That has been done for me here. And it made the process so much easier.
Wise words, Little Grasshopper.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
People may laugh

Snuffy said:

This is so true and yet many ex-pats just scoff at the idea of having any Dominican friends. "Who needs them?" I hear them tell me. Well, certainly they will if they ever become a serious victim which I hope they don't. But, then again, we are the foreigners, the outsiders, the fresh milking cows and overflowing reserves of money that never seem to empty.

I have my connections and yes these connections are high ranked and well placed. Time and time again over the years I have needed to reach out to them because of a corrupt immigration offical here or a mafioso police official there. My connections are there no matter what time of day it is. How do you go out and find these real friends you may ask? I don't have the answer to that question. It depends on what type of quality of person you are. If you are a piece of garbage dirtbag who thinks they can swindle others including the proper people here. They will smell it on you just as any smart ex-pat would. Those types need not apply to know any true Dominicans of power or ex-pats with any honor because you would be on your own.

The bottom line is make real friends with connected ex-pats and Dominicans. They will look out for you.

PEACE!

Mar 21, 2002
Rocky said:
Well, I thank you for the kind words, but can't quite take credit in the way you think.
I had staying power because it was my dream to live in tropics, and I hate the cold, and because I refuse to lose.
Now I am in the enviable position of being very secure where I live, and surrounded by lots of good people.
It was a rough road, but the rewards were worth it.
And the more people that I help avoid being robbed or scammed, the better the quality of the neighbourhood.
The better the neighbourhood, the better my life.

I keep telling people, especially foreigners, NOT to stand out. Do you think not standing out would have lessened the amount of times that you were robbed?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Onions&carrots said:
I keep telling people, especially foreigners, NOT to stand out. Do you think not standing out would have lessened the amount of times that you were robbed?

Is hard not to stand out, if you are white and you are overweight, wear flower shirts and bermuda shorts and you don't have a dominican accent, to tell the robbers, "Hijo 'e puta no me roben", s.o.b. don't rob me!!!! :)

Mar 21, 2002
Seaweed makes a point

M.A.R. said:
Is hard not to stand out, if you are white and you are overweight, wear flower shirts and bermuda shorts and you don't have a dominican accent, to tell the robbers, "Hijo 'e puta no me roben", s.o.b. don't rob me!!!! :)

LOL, that's a good one Seaweed, you got me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.