The Home Broken Into In Sosua area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
M.A.R. said:
Is hard not to stand out, if you are white and you are overweight, wear flower shirts and bermuda shorts and you don't have a dominican accent, to tell the robbers, "Hijo 'e puta no me roben", s.o.b. don't rob me!!!! :)

LOL

I was at the airport yesterday and they were streaming out of customs with their guts and tourist uniforms. ;)

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Worried about my little girls....

This is my first post on DR1. Am an avid reader of the forums as planning to move from England to Sosua in next few months. My partner's parents and his brother and girlfriend already live there (1 year).

I realise that there's crime (as anywhere) and have taken on board all advice from long term expats that I've managed to collect from the forums. However, this latest break in has really worried me. Obviously my sympathies go out to the people who faced this terror in their own home, but it seems as if they're now actual prisoners in their own home (the safe room scenario, having to keep weapons, cell phone on standby etc.).

I have two small girls (17mths and 4yrs) and the thought of putting them in unnecessary danger is unbearable. I am of the opinion that life is to be lived and have no worries for myself as I'm a strong independent woman who's ready to face anything, but putting my girls in danger is another matter. The way in which this forced entry happened and the fact that we will never know what would have happened if the mother and child had not found sanctuary in the bathroom scares the s*** out of me. The lady involved admits that it will take her a long time to recover from the episode, and I wonder what the long term effect will be on the child....

I understand that the people involved were long term residents, owned ferocious dogs and were knowledgeable about all aspects of security. However, could somebody tell me the area that this break in actually happened? Do the people live in a gated community? If they didn't do you think this would have made a difference? Have there been any other recent crimes which compare? Any comments at all which would provide me with more knowleadge of recent happenings would be welcome. I'm not looking for any magic answers and I realise that crime exists, but it does worry me that regular posters such as Rocky (who always seems to remain very upbeat) appear to have been given a bit of a jolt by this latest episode.

I also understand from the posts that Sylvia (Chester 4) with whom I had some communication last year is leaving the DR. I just wondered if anybody knows the reason for this as she seemed very positive about the attributes of Sosua when I questioned her about her life there, children's stuff, schools etc. What has happened in Sosua? Is it changing crime wise? Is the amount of development happening in the surrounding area a good thing or a bad thing? Is the higher volume of expats likely to encourage or discourage would be burglars? As I said, any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sharlene said:
I understand that the people involved were long term residents, owned ferocious dogs and were knowledgeable about all aspects of security. However, could somebody tell me the area that this break in actually happened?
Cabarete

Sharlene said:
but it does worry me that regular posters such as Rocky (who always seems to remain very upbeat) appear to have been given a bit of a jolt by this latest episode.
It always hurts to hear that a long time good friend has been through a terrible experience, be it this or any other serious problem.
Although I have never been to Ohmite's house, I would have presumed that their security perimeter was good, and it surprised me that the thieves got through so easily and were so bold.

Sharlene said:
I also understand from the posts that Sylvia (Chester 4) with whom I had some communication last year is leaving the DR. I just wondered if anybody knows the reason for this
Nobody can tell you for sure, not even her, but it has nothing to with any break-ins.
Although she acted like the all-knowing queen of Sosua, she was not.

Sharlene said:
What has happened in Sosua? Is it changing crime wise?
Crime is in a constant state of change, as good folks take counter measures, and crooks learn to get around defenses. This applies to any place in the world.

Sharlene said:
Is the amount of development happening in the surrounding area a good thing or a bad thing? Is the higher volume of expats likely to encourage or discourage would be burglars?
It's a bit of both. The more wealth there is in a given area, the more the attraction for thieves, but by the same token, there is safety in numbers.

The circumstances of the attemted robbery, mentioned in this thread, are highly unusual.
Criminals are generally lazy and look to the easiest source of revenue, the area of least resistance and minimal risk.
We will never know why they chose this particular house, but there could be numerous explanations.
They quite obviously did not fear the dogs enough to not make the attempt, so there is something we don't know about the circumstances, and probably never will.

Mar 21, 2002
The worst case scenario

Sharlene said:
I have two small girls (17mths and 4yrs) and the thought of putting them in unnecessary danger is unbearable. I am of the opinion that life is to be lived and have no worries for myself as I'm a strong independent woman who's ready to face anything, but putting my girls in danger is another matter. .

I have never heard of any dominican criminal ever harming a child. It has never happened. Even with all the deportees, crime in the DR will never have the sophistication and sadism for evil that it has in developed nations.

So allay your fears. There's nothing to worry about. In the DR we have never had a Jeffrey Dahmers, Son of Sam, Ted Bundy so on and so forth. God forbid you are in a crime, don't worry. They won't harm you or your children. They want your goods, not you.

Now the possibility of being a victim is next to nothing. I am Dominican and my family has been here for centuries. What has hapeened to Rocky and others here isn't the majority. Unfortunately they were the unlucky FEW to fall prey to recurring theme of crime.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Onions&carrots said:
So allay your fears. There's nothing to worry about. In the DR we have never had a Jeffrey Dahmers, Son of Sam, Ted Bundy so on and so forth. God forbid you are in a crime, don't worry. They won't harm you or your children. They want your goods, not you.

I guess these Dominican serial killers don't qualify?
DR1 News of 3/20/06
Serial killers caught and jailed
The magistrate for investigations (Juez de Instruccion) remanded a pair of accused serial killers to one year of preventive custody. The pair, Joel Rodriguez Dias, 34, his companion Yosy Rossana de Leon Vicente, 18, and their two teenage sons are accused of killing Luis Armando Diaz Perez and policeman Andres D'Oleo Quezada. The bodies of both men were found in a shallow grave at the back of a house in Mendoza, in eastern Santo Domingo. The house has been labeled as "house of terror" for the grim happenings that have been reported recently. The District Attorney's office is investigating the possibility of links with at least 12 other murders, mostly of motorcycle taxi drivers who were killed for their motorcycles.
On Sunday, El Caribe newspaper announced that a police sergeant, Pablo Valdez Valdez (Uva), had been arrested in connection with this case. Statements by the accused indicated that the sergeant was the actual killer of many of the motorcycle drivers. The house, located in the Coquitos neighborhood in Mendoza, is still being searched for more bodies and other evidence of the multiple crimes. Santo Domingo province prosecutor, Perfecto Acosta told reporters that the excavations had been suspended due to darkness, but that his workers had found a left arm and a clavicle in the mass grave.
According to Hoy, one of the teenagers (15 years old) confessed to involvement in at least twelve of the killings. Hew said that he and his father would throw the victims' bodies into the sea to erase all evidence of their crimes. The authorities are looking for at least another five people linked to the pair's criminal activities. Most of these crimes took place around the area known as Kilometer 15 of the Las Americas Expressway.

Mar 21, 2002
Apples with Oranges

HOWMAR said:
I guess these Dominican serial killers don't qualify?
DR1 News of 3/20/06

How do those thugs compare to Dahmers, Bundy, Green River killer? These guys killed for the sake of killing, torturing, mutilating and eating their victims. They killed hundreds of women in the course of decades.

The thugs you mentioned were in it for the goods i.e. motorcycles. Yes they killed their victims but that isn't the norm. Show me one news clip where dominican thugs have injured, mutilated and murdered children in a home invasion.

Where are the DR thugs who eat children after hunting them down as prey like in the US?

Where are the DR students to be found who will commit a massacre like Harris and Klebold- the infamous Columbine Massacre.

Nowhere to be found. Crime is peanuts in the DR compared to the US.

Mar 21, 2002
What happened to Rocky, Ohmitse and others is truly a rare occurrence. It's so rare it becomes statistically insignificant to quantify a great change in crime in the DR.

Obviously their pain and suffering has no limits but the DR is much safer than the US could ever imagine of being.

I also know of ex-pats who are so clumsy in their security you'd expect them to be robbed. Yet it never happens. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
THe RD isn't that bad... Here are some facts from Europe

6 weeks ago Brussels central train station 16H00 a 17 year old boy killed for his MP3 player
1 week later Charleroi (Belgium) a boy hit unconcious when comming from school for his MP3 player
3 weeks later a boy stabbed in GB in front of his school
Last week opening of a new trainstation in Berlin (Germany) 28 people stabbed by a 16 year old (rumour goes that the first one stabbed was HIV+ which makes the case potential even worse)
This week a 19 year old stabbed in a train in GB
Yesterday between 16h00 and 18H00 my neighbours house has been cleaned out by robbers

So in Europe you have to use bodyguards if you take a train, go to school or want to listen to your MP3 player in public places

Greetings

Johan

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. One of the reasons that I'm moving to the DR is get away from the fear mongering that exists here in the U.S. What I mean by that is that the media and the government want to keep you afraid. They want you to be afraid so that you depend on them for your safety.

The reality is that statistically it is safer now to walk the streets of New York than it has ever been. Awful things happen all the time in the world, however locking yourself into a walled enclave because there's a 'chance' that you'll become a victim is doing nothing but putting yourself in prison.

Don't let the criminals win. Walk down the street with your head high and a smile on your face. Be kind to a stranger everyday and live your life everyday as if it's the last day you have on Earth.

As a side note I am truly sorry about what has happened to victims and I wish them all the best in their recovery.

Jack

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Crime in Paradise

jackieboo said:
... locking yourself .... is doing nothing but putting yourself in prison.

The more affluent Dominicans (and even the poorer ones) are more and more just doing that.
Look at their burglar proofing, fences and walls.
Stupid, isn't it?

Oh, they don't know how safe their country is.
Stupid people, aren't they?

m'frog

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
M'Frog is a downer

The big question is why do you live in the DR M'frog? Doesn't sound like you're enjoying life there.

I think you should start a new Dominican organization; D.E.A.T. (Dominican Ex-pats Against Tourisim). Let us know when you have the first chapter meeting.

Or, better yet, why not go on an extensive round the world tour spreading your ray of light?

:) Jack

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Expat to be

jackieboo said:
Doesn't sound like you're enjoying life there.
Actually I am and have done so for over ten years.
Once you have come to this country and spent some years here we'll talk again.

jackieboo said:
Dominican Ex-pats Against Tourisim...
I don't have anything against tourists.
On the other hand I don't have anything to do with them.

jackieboo said:
... go on an extensive round the world tour spreading your ray of light?
Done.
Obviously some escaped my enlightening efforts.

m'frog

Status
Not open for further replies.