The Mystery 10% Tip

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Restaurant owner I have talked to tell me that since the staff have no way of knowing what the total of tips was, or how it is divided (usually stuff like that is divided by salary,so management gets the lions share) so they generally skim 7% off and divide up the remaining 3% with no way fo the employees to know they are getting shafted.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I agree that the split of the 10% tip is important, but the DR is a poor country, sooooo spur the economy, tip generously regardless, spread the wealth. Heck, if we spread the wealth maybe there would be less crime...just me thinking again...:)

I don't know whether you live here or not but this point of view might be easy for a tourist since they come for a couple weeks and go home. I have no problem tipping, but when you ad 16% ITBIS + 10% "included" tip + more, you end up paying way too much when you go out to eat.

I feel that I am a fair person so I would like to be fair leaving a tip. If the 10% tip is included in the check for the waiters, it should be for just that.

Bottom line is...it seems as if this is a topic with varying opinions and no one solid answer. This is what I've found when I ask this question. I liked the earlier idea of leaving something extra if the service was very good. As for leaving another 10% every time, well I'm not gonna be doing that anymore.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You can't really get too angry with the 16% tax, that's a tip that goes to the government, but everyone pays that. As for the 10% "ley" it's divided and does not all go to the waiters, so if you are happy with your service, why not leave extra? You would do it in the states, why not here. In the weekend I helped out at my GF's bar, I averaged 10% tip, and that was for drinks only, so dominicans do tip. Not tipping won't improve your service for next time. It's personal choice, it's not mandatory, but if the service is good, a little extra is deserved.

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
If the 10% tip is included in the check for the waiters, it should be for just that.
But it is not a tip.
I do believe that it has been clearly explained that this sum of money is distributed amongst all the employees, right down to the gardener.
It is a part of their salaries, not a tip.

Bottom line is...it seems as if this is a topic with varying opinions and no one solid answer.
There may be varying opinions as to whether to tip and how much, but there can be no discussion as to what the 10% is.
It's right there written into the law, in the codigo de trabajo, etc.
It is not a tip.
If you choose to cal it that, you are mistaken.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
But it is not a tip.
I do believe that it has been clearly explained that this sum of money is distributed amongst all the employees, right down to the gardener.
It is a part of their salaries, not a tip.

There may be varying opinions as to whether to tip and how much, but there can be no discussion as to what the 10% is.
It's right there written into the law, in the codigo de trabajo, etc.
It is not a tip.
If you choose to cal it that, you are mistaken.

You're right, from the posts it seems as if the included 10% is distributed among the employees, but one of the posts stated that the restaurant retained this money. I was told this was a common practice here and I would like to believe that the money is always distributed. Something tells me that some restaurants do not distribute it.

As I mentioned earlier, I will leave some extra money if the service was good, but I now won't feel obliged to leave the extra 10%.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As I mentioned earlier, I will leave some extra money if the service was good, but I now won't feel obliged to leave the extra 10%.

It is considered a "tax" and you have to leave it if it is on the bill.
The proper distribution by the owner is a whole other issue.
tambo'

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
It is considered a "tax" and you have to leave it if it is on the bill.
The proper distribution by the owner is a whole other issue.
tambo'

I wasn't talking about the included 10%. I should have been more specific in stating the customary extra 10% that some are told to leave on top of everything included in the bill.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
As for the 10% "ley" it's divided and does not all go to the waiters, so if you are happy with your service, why not leave extra? You would do it in the states, why not here. In the weekend I helped out at my GF's bar, I averaged 10% tip, and that was for drinks only, so dominicans do tip. Not tipping won't improve your service for next time. It's personal choice, it's not mandatory, but if the service is good, a little extra is deserved.
Exactly.

Some people often claim that Dominicans don't tip and that people who tip are laughed at and ridiculed and that the appreciative smiles and thanks are all fake.:tired:
It's as if they are trying to convince themselves that they are not cheap.
Or maybe they simply care about our image and financial health.:tired:

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
It is not about convincing anything or anyone. You should tip here, just not as much as you would in the states. Truthfully the service at least in SD usually sucks. If you are laying 15% on top of 16% and 10%, you are a sap. You should however leave anything from $50.00 pesos a head to maybe 10% if it is really good... Or some people can argue "well you aren't Dominican." Some what of a double standard if you are a gringo in terms of expecting a tip. Take it for what it is. It is pretty subjective. I have tipped golf caddies up to 1000 pesos before, to be damn if the Dominican player before me only gave him 50 or 100...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
"service charge" by the govt or local taxes are NOT a tip. Why is this so outgrageous? You pay the same here in the US...or elswhere. If it is not itemized in your bill...is sure is built into the price somewhere

I alway tip my service people (waiters, bartenders, maids...the beach chair dude --who does not charge me a chair fee).

a cook i know at a small hotel only makes a few hundred pesos a week. Give a few extra pesos to your service people damnit! If you can afford to dine out...or travel...you can spare an extra peso or buck!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you are laying 15% on top of 16% and 10%, you are a sap.
Or, one might be of the mindset, that a person earning 200 bux a month or less, would be struggling in life, and desperately needs a bit of help.
Some might not call it being a sap.
Some might call it generosity, empathy, decency.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
50 Pesos goes a long way to someone making 200 a day.
I once gave Ted 100 Pesos after a bunch of cocktails, and he still does not remember my name! He calls me Sylvester lately.

tambo'

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
If you are laying 15% on top of 16% and 10%, you are a sap. You should however leave anything from $50.00 pesos a head to maybe 10% if it is really good.
So 10% is fine but 15% makes me a sap?
I often tip much more than that but it is not because the service was so prompt.
It is an appreciation for pleasant friendly service plus I simply enjoy spreading a bit of cheer and helping to brighten up a nice person's day.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
So 10% is fine but 15% makes me a sap?
I often tip much more than that but it is not because the service was so prompt.
It is an appreciation for pleasant friendly service plus I simply enjoy spreading a bit of cheer and helping to brighten up a nice person's day.

have a problem with that. Tipping when people is not just being "nice" its pretty standard....as in its "custom"

Waiters in the US make well under the min wage....and are their "tipped income" is taxed on their sales.

Tipping is different in DR (so i have noticed). If you tip your maids, favorite bartender, or beach dude (chair guy) your level of service goes up very quickly.

Yeah..the deal is that you need to tip "well" when you get there...not on your last day traveling.

THis might vary if you stay somewhere or dine somewhere on a regular basis.

I always feel bad only tipping 10% while in DR...(i usualy tip 20% in the US)...but i know thats the norm..it is appreciated...and if i tip more my domincan friends look at me like i am crazy.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Or, one might be of the mindset, that a person earning 200 bux a month or less, would be struggling in life, and desperately needs a bit of help.
Some might not call it being a sap.
Some might call it generosity, empathy, decency.

Can't necessarily disagree with that. It is so easy to get in the mindset that you are viewed as a walking ATM machine sometimes and become a bit jaded...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can't necessarily disagree with that. It is so easy to get in the mindset that you are viewed as a walking ATM machine sometimes and become a bit jaded...
Oh yeah.
I think we all know what you mean.
It's worse at the beginning and constantly improves, specially as you learn the lingo.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
have a problem with that. Tipping when people is not just being "nice" its pretty standard....as in its "custom".
What is it you have a problem with?
I tip based on the service but I often go well over and above typical rates for people who are not cold robots going through the motions.
Tipping is different in DR (so i have noticed). If you tip your maids, favorite bartender, or beach dude (chair guy) your level of service goes up very quickly.
I tip according to the service but when I tip more than usual, it is simply because I want to, not because I am supposed to or because I hope to get better service.
It is more like giving a gift without expecting or wanting something in return.
I like to brighten up someone's day without any expectations for a return on the investment.