The Mystery 10% Tip

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Malibook & Jrzyguy:

You both agree with each other....why are you having a pi$$ing contest here about tipping?

Just tip well for good service and tip less for poor service as you do in your home countries.

We agree here.....argue about something that you actually disagree about............lets talk about Mess........ws in DR!

tambo'

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Malibook & Jrzyguy:

You both agree with each other....why are you having a pi$$ing contest here about tipping?
tambo'
I am not having a p!ssing contest and I'm not even sure I understand what he is trying to say but I get the impression that he thinks I only tip people who are nice, outgoing, and friendly, which is not the case.
These are the ones who get the exceptional tips but the robots do get good tips for good service.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
certainly wasnt trying to start a ****ing contest. I just wanted to point out that in many places that a waiter is taxed on a percentage of their sales no matter what the tip is. So if one stiffs a waiter you are actually making them pay to serve you!

I think tipping has gotten out of controll in the US with everyone having their hand out. I know this one deli where the owner himself has the tip jar out!! wtf?

my only other point that is that in certain cultures (like france) the service charge IS included...and that one looks foolish by over-tipping.

no ****ing here.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
True- if you are talking US, 15% is considered a crappy tip in some nice places in lower Manhattan on West Broadway, etc. Older folks, like my parents, will leave 15%, if there is good service, bad service, or probably if there was no service at all! Now in the states, 20% is expected in some of the places I mentioned.... no one tips more than Americans do..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What Does "TIPS" Mean???

Most definitions usually say; T-I-P-S,...+ "T"o-"I"nsure-"P"roper-"S"ervice.
Since I have never seen what the "Civilized World" considers
"Proper Service" in the DR,.."Why Tip" at all???
Cris Colon

PS,"OVER Tipping" is for "Loosers" who think they are making some kind of impression!
Wow, a "Barrio Boy" thinks you are "RICO:! How COOL!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
CC - I never thought about what TIPS actually stood for. Thanks.

And you are correct, many tip to impress! I tip for good service. If I receive very bad service I will leave absolutely nothing! If I receive adequate service I will tip, but when I receive exceptional service I will TIP really well.

I detest when a tip is expected! You need to earn it.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Most definitions usually say; T-I-P-S,...+ "T"o-"I"nsure-"P"roper-"S"ervice.
Since I have never seen what the "Civilized World" considers
"Proper Service" in the DR,.."Why Tip" at all???
Cris Colon

PS,"OVER Tipping" is for "Loosers" who think they are making some kind of impression!
Wow, a "Barrio Boy" thinks you are "RICO:! How COOL!
Tip is another word for gratuity.
It is not an abbreviation.

tip (tip)
transitive verb
-to give a small present of money to (a waiter, porter, etc.) for some service

Why is it so difficult for you to commprehend that most people tip for reasons other than what you preach and why do you care?

We don't care if you are cheap so why do you care if we are "Loosers"?:tired:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
And you are correct, many tip to impress! I tip for good service. If I receive very bad service I will leave absolutely nothing! If I receive adequate service I will tip, but when I receive exceptional service I will TIP really well.

I detest when a tip is expected! You need to earn it.
I don't know anybody who tips to impress.

I have no idea why would anybody would care how much or why others tip.

When you and CC see someone leave a big tip, how do you know they are trying to impress.
Do people who got good service or just want to help someone out have a certain look?

I totally agree with the rest of your post.:cheeky:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
People tip to impress all the time. For instance when somebody is on a date, they will most probably leave a larger tip than they would normally, so as to impress their date, showing generousity.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
People tip to impress all the time. For instance when somebody is on a date, they will most probably leave a larger tip than they would normally, so as to impress their date, showing generousity.
I don't know how impressive that would be but the implication from CC is that we are trying to impress the Barrio Boy servers, not our company.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm, maybe not so much the boys, but girls, yeah, lots of guys will leave an attractive waitress more than they would a not attractive waitress.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
someone once gave me a $400 tip. He was a drunk rapper with a limo etc. I dont think he really knew or cared how much he gave me. His flashing the money around didnt impress me tho. Perhaps his girl who he told me to "give the B!tch anything she wants cuz she's the best ho i ever had" she snapped her head and rolled her eyes and said "thats right!"

I used to ALWAYS over tip when i was in the business. Now only over tip if i a regular customer (it ensures good service)...and especially when i run the waiter ragged by asking a lot of questions and or make them work especially hard. If all i do is order my food, ask no questions and eat and leave...then i dont go over the 20%....in the DR i tip 10%.

the thing about tipping "a little extra" is that those few extra dollars or pesos really DO make a difference to that persons day. its not so much about the money itself...but it makes one feel appreciated.

I think EVERYONE should be made to wait tables for a couple of days in their life to see what it is like.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
someone once gave me a $400 tip. He was a drunk rapper with a limo etc. I dont think he really knew or cared how much he gave me. His flashing the money around didnt impress me tho. Perhaps his girl who he told me to "give the B!tch anything she wants cuz she's the best ho i ever had" she snapped her head and rolled her eyes and said "thats right!"

I used to ALWAYS over tip when i was in the business. Now only over tip if i a regular customer (it ensures good service)...and especially when i run the waiter ragged by asking a lot of questions and or make them work especially hard. If all i do is order my food, ask no questions and eat and leave...then i dont go over the 20%....in the DR i tip 10%.

the thing about tipping "a little extra" is that those few extra dollars or pesos really DO make a difference to that persons day. its not so much about the money itself...but it makes one feel appreciated.

I think EVERYONE should be made to wait tables for a couple of days in their life to see what it is like.

I waited tables LONG time ago, and yes it is not easy.

In the DR, I always tip extra but I let them know that. That way, they dont laugh behind your back.

I always say " Mira, de di un chin de mas porque yo se que la cosas aqui estan mala"

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Seeing that it is a voluntary act, one should tip what they think is appropriate. Tipping restaurant staff is a common practice worldwide, there are however "cultural" differences in when and how much much, ranging from rounding cents to the dollar to pre-determined percentages. Countries that include a forced tip on the bill (DR is not the only one), take this measure because tipping was not common or not enough. Whatever the "10% ley" is to be seen as tip or not, it wouldn't have been made into law if costumers were tipping big.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I think restaurant owners must pay salary to their staff, not customers. A meal is listed in the menu as $10, but in reality they try the customer to pay $15. It is pure cheating.
Let them list $15 on the menu and wait who will be willing to eat at their restaurant.
I believe it is a dirty trick of local restaurant owners and for this reason I am trying to avoid their service as much as possible now.

The name for this is "GREED"!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Adding tax to a restaurant bill is a practice found in lots of countries, not just the DR - but goods retailers in all those countries also charge VAT, and this is almost always included in the advertised price. Why should restaurants be different?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Como va a ser?....

I don't know anybody who tips to impress.
I guess you have NOT been around A LOT of Dominicans (living abroad) when they visit the DR and take their friends/family out!.

MAN, do SOME like to chow-off/try to impress!!.

NOT ALLLL, of course, but A LOOOOOOOT!.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
I guess you have NOT been around A LOT of Dominicans (living abroad) when they visit the DR and take their friends/family out!.

MAN, do SOME like to chow-off/try to impress!!.

NOT ALLLL, of course, but A LOOOOOOOT!.
Are they still considered Dominicans?

I have heard that Dominicans don't tip.
SOME people use this as a reason why they should not tip.
You know, when in Rome, blah blah blah....:ermm:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bueno......

Are they still considered Dominicans?

I have heard that Dominicans don't tip.
SOME people use this as a reason why they should not tip.
You know, when in Rome, blah blah blah....:ermm:
Well, unless the person who is saying that Dominicans don't tip KNOW every single Dominican in the Dominican Republic.......ANNND he/she has witnessed they ALLLL do NOT tip, I will subject for that person to be "silent".

Granted, I know of A LOT who do NOT.....But to be fair, I also know A LOT who do.

ALLLLLLL my friends in the DR, from ALLLLL "walks", do.