thoughts on gated communities, bars on windows etc.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
~Dogs and guns are not necessarily to answer to a secure environment. I read just recently that a robber got in found the owners "gun" killed the (2) Large"Dogs" and still robbed the place....oh yeah and they slipped a child through the bars to open the door from the inside!!!!

~So many factors need to be considered when securing ones residence....no one thing is going to help secure it, its a combination of factors and location of residence....

Slipping a child through the secure gates is how most of them do it. They use a car-jack to separate the bars just enough for the child to get in.

Security is #1 issue for me right now as I put the final touches on my casa. Ive got the bars up, will install an alarm system plus an going to put in some transparent security film on the windows.

Something I do all the time is walk around and put myself into a thieves shoes and ask, where/what can I do to get into this house?

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Slipping a child through the secure gates is how most of them do it. They use a car-jack to separate the bars just enough for the child to get in.

Security is #1 issue for me right now

Best not to broadcast how to break into peoples houses then, maybe?

Just a thought!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is it not easier just to kep the cash to a minimum?
We've been over this before..... use the safe as a decoy and keep the BIG money hidden.

Nothing new in the world

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Best not to broadcast how to break into peoples houses then, maybe?

Just a thought!

Actually no, homeowners should be aware of how these burglars get into homes. That way if they have bars that can be easily jacked open they can make some changes.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Actually no, homeowners should be aware of how these burglars get into homes. That way if they have bars that can be easily jacked open they can make some changes.

Your described method for breaking and entry had never crossed my mind (and I expect you also educated several rats trawling and lurking). It would be naive to consider the only people searching these forums are homeowners and well to do people. It is not unusual for such forums to be used to find out when people are out of the country, who has what, and what security precautions individuals have in place. But I thought like most people do, certain things were a no no, or at least not worth posting purely for the sakes of a popularity point or two, but each his/her own!
I think you probably educated more people on how to break and enter than a worth of awareness, but it is done now so never mind. Maybe worth considering in future though.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have heard stories of trained midgets and dwarfs for nefarious activities.

The closest I have seen was a band of Algerian children in Paris who filched my daughter's purse for her money, passport - the works.
She was telling me, "Imagine Daddy, little boys out thieving in the streets!!"

Ever hear of a man called Fagan??? was my reply.

Its true what you say Driftwood.... precaution is a good thing.
No harm was meant , I'm sure. But some might consider it was careless.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Your described method for breaking and entry had never crossed my mind... I think you probably educated more people on how to break and enter than a worth of awareness, but it is done now so never mind.

Driftwood, be thankful that you're now aware of another method used to bypass security measures. The only people ignorant of the criminal methods are those the methods are used against... and then they wish they'd been forewarned.

May 29, 2006
When I was in Estonia, the thugs had a cute trick where they recruited a 10 year old to snatch a purse from a couple walking down the street. The kid would run around a corner into an alley. The boyfriend or husband would chase after the kid and in the alley would be three big guys waiting for him. Then he'd have to give them his wallet and jeans, and he better hope he wasn't wear Calvin Klein underwear that day.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have heard stories of trained midgets and dwarfs for nefarious activities.

The closest I have seen was a band of Algerian children in Paris who filched my daughter's purse for her money, passport - the works.
She was telling me, "Imagine Daddy, little boys out thieving in the streets!!"

Ever hear of a man called Fagan??? was my reply.

Its true what you say Driftwood.... precaution is a good thing.
No harm was meant , I'm sure. But some might consider it was careless.
We witnessed a street robbery attempt on one of our guests at Carnival in La Vega last Sunday.

She was walking maybe 20' in front of me and her hubby. Two young men, teens really, were 6' behind here, looking her over, a third walked beside her 6' away; the two behind here were chatting up quietly. I told her hubby that something was up and they hadn't noticed us.

Suddenly the two behind her ran in front of her by 5' or so and pretended to get into a fight, and the kid beside her ran and tried grabbing her purse. But she was very wise, and when the two started their faux-fight, she grabbed her purse-right before the kid tried grabbing it-twisted her body and stepped backwards.

The kids stopped, looked at each other and ran into the crowd. The whole incident took maybe 3-4 seconds, that's all.

Be very aware in crowds...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As 17-year old students we went, with our school, to visit Italy. Whilst visiting Rome we were told over and over again to be very carefull around the Trevi fountain for pick-pockets.

Smart-asses as we were, we tore a 1,000 lire bill in 2, and one of the guys put half the bill in his backpocket (sticking out by a small corner), and the other half in his frontpocket. Sure enough the bill in his backpocket was stolen within 15 minutes.

We thought we were real smart, untill we discovered the other half of the bill had been stolen as well... lol

So the joke was on us.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Reminds me of the Hannibal scene in which the tables were turned on the pickpocket!!!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
My 2 cents regarding the poster's original question...

If coming from a first world country, it can take some time (several years) to develop a reasonable understanding of and ability to evaluate what makes for a secure dwelling in the Dominican Republic.

The vulnerability of your home depends on multiple factors including:
  • your choice of city
  • selection of private home or apartment
  • gated or open access community
  • visible security measures
  • adequacy of security measures
  • proximity to and type/character of neighbors
  • disparity of economic well-being between you and your neighbors
  • perceived value of your home
  • perceived value of contents of your home
  • perceived vulnerability and perceived risk/reward of targeting your home
  • perception of you and whether you yourself are tougher than the criminals
  • your lifestyle
  • who you hire as household employees
  • who you allow into your 'inner sanctum' to get their eyes on what you have and how to get it

Bars on windows definitely have their place. People do not typically spend money on security measures unless they believe necessary. Unless you're looking at the only apartment in a neighborhood with bars, you're pretty safe to assume they 'were' needed. Also, keep in mind many homes/apartments have their windows and doors open 24/7 for ventilation. Without bars on windows and doors it is that much easier to gain access.

Gated communities? You have to evaluate the effectiveness. As mentioned earlier, a manned gate at the entrance only serves to turn away people who choose to enter via that method. If there's inadequate perimeter security, the gated entrance is worth little. It doesn't take much for a criminal to get over a fence or wall.

Also, keep in mind, that by and large you're on your own should their be a problem. Your best hope should you have a break-in while home is calling a big, bad scary neighbor with a gun for reinforcement. The police are only for after the fact... probably hours after.

Make the right decisions and you will sleep well night after night and enjoy living here.
Make the wrong decisions and you risk personal property, your well-being, and may leave bitter and poorer as others have in the past.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Your described method for breaking and entry had never crossed my mind (and I expect you also educated several rats trawling and lurking). It would be naive to consider the only people searching these forums are homeowners and well to do people. It is not unusual for such forums to be used to find out when people are out of the country, who has what, and what security precautions individuals have in place. But I thought like most people do, certain things were a no no, or at least not worth posting purely for the sakes of a popularity point or two, but each his/her own!
I think you probably educated more people on how to break and enter than a worth of awareness, but it is done now so never mind. Maybe worth considering in future though.

I have to say, I don't think anyone learned any new ideas as to how to break in, (car jack and/or child slipping in). I WILL say though, the thought hadn't crossed my mind about evil-doers prowling forums to garner intel as to who might or might not be "at home" or away at any given time, and what security measures they might employ, and/or what they might have worth breaking in for. I guess the new equivalent of calling a prospective residence, or watching the newspapers for such information.

I'm no criminal genius, but I have to think that if those ideas were new for me; they'd also be new for someone with ill intent. I guess you've ALSO broadcast some help to the "bad guys".

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Driftwood, be thankful that you're now aware of another method used to bypass security measures. The only people ignorant of the criminal methods are those the methods are used against... and then they wish they'd been forewarned.

I disagree with you entirely. There are 'How to' vids out there that show people how to hotwire cars. There are far more negative acts that derive from these 'how to' videos than any positivity it can ever offer me. I know it happens, I do not need it to be broadcast how to. I prepare my vehicle best I can.
The same with unlocking certain door types, 'how to' vids are there, I do not need them broadcast this for me to know how people get through them, as again there is far more negativity that could be derived from such info.
Exactly the same as security bars on windows and doors, I know people break into them, that is enough, it is therefor my responsibility to prepare should I wish to (and there is only so much someone can do), there is not debate that thieves break through them. I do not need to know the exact tool used as it does not benefit me at all, I can not eliminate the thief having the correct tools for the job, I see no value in knowing this at all (as far as I know there are no anti car jack devices out there), there is no gain other than educate those who did not know before, and like I said, not all who read these boards will be well to do respectable people.
I see no need for me to be 'thankful' to know a new thieving technique as I am not a thief.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

I understand your point of view....but considering that burglars have been doing this for years I doubt that they are looking into these forums for tips on how to break into homes. Usually they learn these tricks while out on the field doing there work.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
There are probably "how to videos" on breaking into chastity belts. lol

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
I'm no criminal genius, but I have to think that if those ideas were new for me; they'd also be new for someone with ill intent. I guess you've ALSO broadcast some help to the "bad guys".

I guess indirectly I have, and as this is new info to you, I also have no doubt as I did not know about the car jack, to someone, it is also new info alike. So by even discussing these topics we are fueling a fire we wish to extinguish, or at least reduce. So on that note.....................................................................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As 17-year old students we went, with our school, to visit Italy. Whilst visiting Rome we were told over and over again to be very carefull around the Trevi fountain for pick-pockets.

Smart-asses as we were, we tore a 1,000 lire bill in 2, and one of the guys put half the bill in his backpocket (sticking out by a small corner), and the other half in his frontpocket. Sure enough the bill in his backpocket was stolen within 15 minutes.

We thought we were real smart, untill we discovered the other half of the bill had been stolen as well... lol

So the joke was on us.

Hard to belive, but true - I'm sure.

My other daughter had her passport stolen in Italy.. picked purse/pocket.

The only nice thing is, their new Cdn passports show one being issued in Paris and the other in Rome..... not without much time spent at the Embassy.... a real pain

May 29, 2006
I hate bars on windows too. But I wouldn't live in a place in the DR without them. About once a year, some ex-pat gets killed or raped in a home invasion.