Tips for Young Canadian Considering Brief Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I just want legitimate suggestions and advice concerning my questions. If you don't have any, may I suggest you wade in on
another question? Thanks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hah! No feelings hurt here. Trust me. I just think you shouldn't be on a forum where people actually want some useful and
serious advice. You certainly haven't been what I'm looking for either. Thanks for wasting my time. Have a nice day!

You wrote....

After my brief vacation, I started doing some research into the area, but have found very little that is overly helpful

Says it all........but you forgot to check out the 'international s** guide' website to understand the attraction of this small town to the many mainly male tourists. I am sure they will chip in with more information on the cultural delights there.

You were either blind to the rather distinct culture of the town or enjoy it as some do and want more. And that is ones choice.

Cabarete next door might be a better choice.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Indeed I have read these headlines. This is simply another reason I have asked if it would be safe for me to rent there for a few months by myself. I'm asking for suggestions and advice and am very open to hearing what people with experience have to say. I'm not ignorant to legitimate advice.. I simply want to have my questions answered seriously.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Indeed I have read these headlines. This is simply another reason I have asked if it would be safe for me to rent there for a few months by myself. I'm asking for suggestions and advice and am very open to hearing what people with experience have to say. I'm not ignorant to legitimate advice.. I simply want to have my questions answered seriously.

If you were my sister, NO, find another destination, not a place for a 22 year old female to "immerse" themselves in a foreign culture.
There are safer places in the world, MAYBE Cabarete if you insist on the north coast of DR.

@ Webster, what you think you got young daughters, would you let them solo in Sosua?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Cabarete next door might be a better choice.

This would be your best option for the north coast....lots more younger people

While others here are trying subtly to explain Sosua to you I will be more blunt

Sosua is a whore town mostly full of perveted old gringos......no place for a 22 year old woman with no experience living here..maybe good to visit for the day but that's about it.

Research Cabarete a bit and go from there

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012

Dear marlee

Sosua is a s*ithole, only the lowest class of dominicans go to that town and it only runs on sex tourism . I am very interested in what kind of culture that u have found there. Like gorgon said if it is fausto that u are calling culture don't go back u wil be veru disappointed in the long run. The town is almost dead because most off the foreigners that have lived there left because of all the murders hapoening there and they got sick and tired of being harrased every time they put a feet out of tgeir house. May i suggest santiago or santo domingo for you if u want to sniff some culture

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
If you were my sister, NO, find another destination, not a place for a 22 year old female to "immerse" themselves in a foreign culture.
There are safer places in the world, MAYBE Cabarete if you insist on the north coast of DR.

@ Webster, what you think you got young daughters, would you let them solo in Sosua?

Just beat me to it damm slow internet

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What do you mean by minimal cost? Give people an idea what you can afford a month. Safe and cheap don't always go together

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dear marlee

Sosua is a s*ithole, only the lowest class of dominicans go to that town and it only runs on sex tourism . I am very interested in what kind of culture that u have found there. Like gorgon said if it is fausto that u are calling culture don't go back u wil be veru disappointed in the long run. The town is almost dead because most off the foreigners that have lived there left because of all the murders hapoening there and they got sick and tired of being harrased every time they put a feet out of tgeir house. May i suggest santiago or santo domingo for you if u want to sniff some culture

What a load of nonsense....

That's all there is to say..

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Okay, great. Thank you. Those are very useful and honest comments. By minimal cost, the max I would want to pay in rent per month would be 500-600. Cheaper than that would be great, but I'm flexible. I will do some research on Cabarete as well. I was aware of the sex tourism, but had been told that it had been cracked down on since the early 2000s. This may obviously be
inaccurate.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Can you speak any Spanish? If no, "living" here will be a challenge if you are not situated in a tourist centre. It can be done, but when you need to ask where the bus is going and they look at you with a blank stare that mirrors your own, it's not a good feeling.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
My Spanish is certainly not up to par right now, but I will likely take a class between now and the time of my departure.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Okay, great. Thank you. Those are very useful and honest comments. By minimal cost, the max I would want to pay in rent per month would be 500-600. Cheaper than that would be great, but I'm flexible. I will do some research on Cabarete as well. I was aware of the sex tourism, but had been told that it had been cracked down on since the early 2000s. This may obviously be
inaccurate.

Did you ever go out @ night in Sosua?
It's a difficult to miss the commerce.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I was out at night actually. One of the locals that I met while there took me out for an evening. I also talked to several
Canadians who had visited several times and they recommended going out in the evenings to karaoke bars or some of the
dancing locations. Of course one evening and some afternoons that I spent out in Sosua wouldn't give me a full picture of what
the city holds. However, one man that I talked to said that he paid to simply stay at the Casa Marina Resort, but he enjoyed
spending the majority of his time out in Sosua and from my understanding, this was because he enjoyed going to the different
shops and bars. He had recommended a karaoke bar run by Canadians to me and my friends.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
inaccurate.

Is that in Canadian dollars? Most things are qouted in USA or pesos. Last time I checked 500 CAD was worth 377 US

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I should have clarified. That would be USD. I have been looking at the apartments online and noted that they were mostly in
USD.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hah! No feelings hurt here. Trust me. I just think you shouldn't be on a forum where people actually want some useful and
serious advice. You certainly haven't been what I'm looking for either. Thanks for wasting my time. Have a nice day!

First thing to do when joining an open forum like this one is to read some of the members past postings. You can learn a lot about who to listen to and who to ignore.
Some will egg you on to argue with them for days on end.
You are young and adventurous. This could be a good time for you to take breaks in your studies and work. Once you get older you may not have the opportunity to do so.
Some of the advice about Sosua and the DR will be spot on even if it sounds tough. There are many more suitable areas for a young person to spend in the DR.
Good luck.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Thanks Dulce. Are there any in particular that you would recommend? And do you agree with what has been said about Sosua
for the most part? I would like to get as many educated and experienced opinions as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.