Tips for Young Canadian Considering Brief Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this recent thread should give you an idea regarding accommodation options in sosua:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/156947-Looking-for-an-Apartment-in-sosua
some solid advice there.

when you arrive budget a week in some cheap hotel when you are looking for a place to live. check north coast forum for more threads about life in sosua and post your further questions there. it's good to be specific and always give a short explanation of what you are looking for in detail.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Perfect! Thank you. The forum was recommended to me on another site. Clearly I don't know how it works very well, but I'm learning.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Dulce. Are there any in particular that you would recommend? And do you agree with what has been said about Sosua
for the most part? I would like to get as many educated and experienced opinions as possible.

I agree that Sosua is not a good choice for you. Cabarete or Punta Cana would be better choices for a young woman. Take your time and look around.
I also agree with DV8. Short replies work best on this message board. Nobody needs to know your life story. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.
Be clear on what your questions are.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I also agree with DV8. Short replies work best on this message board. Nobody needs to know your life story. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.
Be clear on what your questions are.

Come on Dulce it's Sunday night entertainment till GOT is available online :laugh:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Perfect! Thank you. The forum was recommended to me on another site. Clearly I don't know how it works very well, but I'm learning.

May I suggest that you discover a bit more about the Dominican Republic and may I suggest you use the online Rough Guide.

I have attached below the link to the Rough Guide for Dominican Republic for Sosua. You can explore online the other Silver Coast (North Coast) destinations and other areas in DR and get a better feel for the country using this online guide.

http://www.roughguides.com/destinat...ibbean/dominican-republic/silver-coast/sosúa/

I live in the DR and travel widely and I would recommend that a person of your age give Sosua a very wide berth, but again people like 'Cdn Gringo' lives in Sosua and will offer you a clear resident opinion too.

I also lived in Kenya (Mombasa) for two years and do wonder how the 'Coast' there can in any way be compared in the same script to Sosua.

There are many better places for you to spend an extended vacation in DR but everybody has their preferences and so you must research further.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Oh, I wasn't making a comparison between the Maasai Mara and Sosua at all. Simply was stating that I had made the decision to make a short term move there when I was younger and would like to do something similar in DR. I will check out the Rough Guide. Thank you.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I'm simply saying... what is my decision to you? You judge me because I want to move for a few months for a different
experience? I worked two jobs while also putting myself through university thanks. I'm also currently working full time so that I can fund this trip if I choose to even take it. I don't "goof off".. I'm incredibly responsible and shouldn't have to stick up for
myself because people like you are incredibly narrow minded.

The gorgon is actually very wise. You should listen to him. You have no way to know who you are talking to here.

You fell in love with the culture of Sosua? Of course, people are going to wonder about you. Now that you are getting some answsers here, you might understand how that probably sounds a bit foolish.

Most of the women that post here are good sources of info - if they have survived here, they are tough and smart. Check their join dates.

Good luck. Enjoy the culture.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I'm a little disappointed with the obsession over the word "culture." Clearly it is a misunderstanding. I enjoyed the city.. if that makes it easier to understand and if it will get people off my back about it. My indication is that it is a different environment and way of living than what I am currently used to and I enjoyed it. Sorry to offend everyone with the word "culture."

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'm a little disappointed with the obsession over the word "culture." Clearly it is a misunderstanding. I enjoyed the city.. if that makes it easier to understand and if it will get people off my back about it. My indication is that it is a different environment and way of living than what I am currently used to and I enjoyed it. Sorry to offend everyone with the word "culture."

What city?

The population is about 60 thousand and that makes it a small town at best.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Okay, great. Thank you. Those are very useful and honest comments. By minimal cost, the max I would want to pay in rent per month would be 500-600. Cheaper than that would be great, but I'm flexible. I will do some research on Cabarete as well. I was aware of the sex tourism, but had been told that it had been cracked down on since the early 2000s. This may obviously be
inaccurate.

well, that is completely inaccurate. you better check for the rest of the inaccurate info you have.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

No one is offended but we do worry a lot when someone comes to DR1 after one visit and says they love the culture. They are just looking out for you because trust me the culture takes years to understand especially for we Canadians. ;)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

I am not offended by the word culture. Sosua has a reputation for a specific culture - sex tourism, mostly from the US. That's why people are playing with you. Clear now?

The DR has a lot of interesting places - for Dominican culture. Sosua is not one of them. People are just wondering what you are after. Looking for. There are certainly more authentic Dominican towns and cities. Your are lucky you have choices.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The gorgon is actually very wise. You should listen to him. You have no way to know who you are talking to here.

You fell in love with the culture of Sosua? Of course, people are going to wonder about you. Now that you are getting some answsers here, you might understand how that probably sounds a bit foolish.

Most of the women that post here are good sources of info - if they have survived here, they are tough and smart. Check their join dates.

Good luck. Enjoy the culture.

thanks, franco111. i find it highly entertaining that there are people in the thread who take their little adolescent cheap shots at me, but have to admit that my advice is right.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Okay. Indeed, I understand. Like I previously stated, I was informed that the sex tourism had died down and when I was out and about in Sosua, I really didn't see any indication of this. Rather, it seemed quite vibrant and lively to me, both during the day and the night. However, again, my experience was only a brief one. Thus why I am looking for the advice.

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
Hi, I live in Puerto Plata since 13 years. I think franco1111 is spot on. It is kind of hard to give advice when not knowing what you are looking for. Sosua is a tourist town, plenty of expats, beach, bars and tourists. Is that what you are looking for? What do you want to experience? Citylife, countryside, everyday local life. I think if you are a little more specific in sharing how you want to spend your time in DR, you will get more suggestions.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
If the gorgon is so wise, how about he shares some of his wisdom instead of being so incredibly rude when I simply posted this to get some insight? I would actually appreciate some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about and I feel like I have received that from some people now. However, the gorgon was just an a** from the beginning. If he can useful, it would be appreciated.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I want to experience. That's why I want to just come and settle in and see where it takes me. I want to be close to beaches and a town/city with lots to offer as far as food experimentation and local tradition and goods. I would like there to be a community of fellow Canadians or English speaking foreigners that I could tap into for any questions I may have or just someone to meet up with. Nightlife and entertainment certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. I love exploring so being located somewhere where I could easily leave for a day and see something new and different is appealing. Essentially, I love trying new food, I love tradition, and I love being located near a beach.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I want to experience. That's why I want to just come and settle in and see where it takes me. I want to be close to beaches and a town/city with lots to offer as far as food experimentation and local tradition and goods. I would like there to be a community of fellow Canadians or English speaking foreigners that I could tap into for any questions I may have or just someone to meet up with. Nightlife and entertainment certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. I love exploring so being located somewhere where I could easily leave for a day and see something new and different is appealing. Essentially, I love trying new food, I love tradition, and I love being located near a beach.

Go to Cabarete.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If the gorgon is so wise, how about he shares some of his wisdom instead of being so incredibly rude when I simply posted this to get some insight? I would actually appreciate some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about and I feel like I have received that from some people now. However, the gorgon was just an a** from the beginning. If he can useful, it would be appreciated.

oh, you got advice all right. i am not here to soft soap it with some girl who has obviously been sankified, and is on the well known collision course with disaster.

people like you come to this site every week. they all have the same symptoms. they spent a week in the country, and fell in love with the culture, whatever the fcuk that might be, especially in reference to Sosua.

if you think i am rude, you will be wishing i was even more rude when Fausto cleans out your bank account. we see girls like you at least once per month.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Yet again, no actual advice.. just more anger and attempted insults. When are you going to say something useful? Why shouldn't I come to Sosua? Maybe you should start with that.. Maybe you should try to actually explain some of this instead of trying to make me look stupid. I came on here to be informed and all you have done is attack me. My ears are open. I'm taking suggestions. You have yet to approach my questions in a pleasant and mature way. I enjoyed my time there. Is it a bloody crime? No. So p*** off or say something that I can learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.