To all of Dominican Republic Complainers.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Time to break out the old classic Dear Diary...

DEAR DIARY
Aug. 12 Moved to Michigan. It is so beautiful here. The rolling green hills are so nice. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.
Oct. 14 Michigan is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful hills and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.
Nov. 11 Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill Such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will start to snow soon. I love it here.
Dec. 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed in white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snowplow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Michigan.
Dec. 12 More snow last night. I love it. The snowplow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.
Dec. 19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Fricking snowplow.
Dec. 22 More of that white crap fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snowplow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. Butthole!
Dec. 25 Merry Fricking Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-b**ch who drives the snowplow I swear I'll Kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the damn ice.
Dec. 27 More White crap last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snowplow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white crap. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the crap again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is?
Dec. 28 The fricking weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white crap this time. At this rate it won't melt before summer. The snowplow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the crap he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his damn head.
Jan. 4 Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of my car and I hit it. Did about $3000 damage to the car. Those damn beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.
May. 3 Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from the fricking salt they put all over the roads?
May 10 Moved back to The DR. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that God-forsaken state of Michigan.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
If this cold continues here in NJ I will be ice fishing before Christmas! The lack of daylight in the winter bothers me probably more than the cold.

However, my friend and I combat that by arriving at a frozen laken in pitch pre dawn blackness to drill our holes for tip ups and stay out fishing all day until we pack up and leave the same way we arrived - under the glow of our head lamps. Along the way we soak up every hour of fresh air/sun, catch some fish, laugh and joke with and or about people we come across, eat, and doze off in the midday fishing lull.

I can't wait!

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Viking Land

I live in Sweden and it's soo cold here - dark and lots and lots of snow. We should be used to it., right?? Apparently, buses and train companies get just as surprised EVERY winter that the streets are full of snow and ice and don't function... really?? *brrr*

Reactions: AnnaC and Celt202

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Time to break out the old classic Dear Diary...

DEAR DIARY
Aug. 12 Moved to Michigan....

May 10 Moved back to The DR. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that God-forsaken state of Michigan.

wahahahah OMG thanks for the laugh...........

Its frigging cold up here in NYC too.......uggg

and CHip yes I hate that daylight savings time crap, only Americans would think of shyt like that.......makes no sense...you got cold weather, and darkness, who wouldn't get depressed,,,,,,ugggg

Oct 11, 2010
Daylight SAVINGS time

and CHip yes I hate that daylight savings time crap, only Americans would think of shyt like that.......makes no sense...you got cold weather, and darkness, who wouldn't get depressed,,,,,,ugggg

M.A.R.

Daylight savings time creates more hours of daylight not less, the U.S. is NOT on daylight savings time in the winter. Up there in New York you are on Easten Standard Time now. If it wasn't for daylight SAVINGS time, there would be one hour less of daylight all spring & summer also.;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
M.A.R.

Daylight savings time creates more hours of daylight not less, the U.S. is NOT on daylight savings time in the winter. Up there in New York you are on Easten Standard Time now. If it wasn't for daylight SAVINGS time, there would be one hour less of daylight all spring & summer also.;)

how can it create more daylight, ok in the morning but not in the evening when it makes more sense.........the clock is turned back one hour so it gets darker earlier. ;)

Oct 11, 2010

how can it create more daylight, ok in the morning but not in the evening when it makes more sense.........the clock is turned back one hour so it gets darker earlier. ;)

When you are turning your clock back one hour in November you are resetting your clock to Eastern STANDARD Time. The time standard from November to April in New York is Eastern Standard Time and has nothing to do with daylight savings time.

When you are turning your clock ahead one hour in April you are resetting your clock from Eastern STANDARD Time to Daylight SAVINGS Time. This creates more daylight in the afternoons throughout the spring and summer. It actually works out prettly well adding more daylight hours during the spring and summer months when most people tend to be outdoors more than in the winter months.

Just another note, Americans didn't "think of shyt like that" it was not originally developed in the United States.

Just sayin';)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
When you are turning your clock back one hour in November you are resetting your clock to Eastern STANDARD Time. The time standard from November to April in New York is Eastern Standard Time and has nothing to do with daylight savings time.

When you are turning your clock ahead one hour in April you are resetting your clock from Eastern STANDARD Time to Daylight SAVINGS Time. This creates more daylight in the afternoons throughout the spring and summer. It actually works out prettly well adding more daylight hours during the spring and summer months when most people tend to be outdoors more than in the winter months.

Just another note, Americans didn't "think of shyt like that" it was not originally developed in the United States.

Just sayin';)

ok.....i see

ok gracias for the correction.

Im just angry and depressed about darker longer days....uggg

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
The Heat Pump is covered in white ice!

The weather report is saying it's 23 degrees here[/CENTER]

D in Tampa

Oh, man, and I was hoping for a warm Christmas in the parks of Disney. I guess I am going to have a regular white Christmas there.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I'm 34 yrs of age now all I know is that the cold is getting to me in the North East coast!! By the time I'm 50yrs old I should be in the caribbean ain't going to put with this crappy cold weather my grandparents are in their 70's I tell them the darn same thing!!!! As you get older money isn't everything its more about comfort and preferences to satisfy and fulfill your soul!!!

Oct 11, 2010
ok.....i see

ok gracias for the correction.

Im just angry and depressed about darker longer days....uggg

M.A.R.

I was back in NY over the weekend and just got back here to the DR yesterday:bunny:. I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!!, short, cold days and long freezing cold nights:disappoin. Fortunately I was only there two days.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mince pies without the freezing weather, here I come...! Got to love Blighty-on-the-Med. ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Plenty to do in NYC when it's cold.

Clubs, bars, restaurants if that's your thing.

Gymnasiums galore-we even have a gym with an Olympic sized pool that's very well maintained right here in the Bronx that many local private schools and colleges use to train and hold competitions in.

And the obligatory road cycling Night Ride every Tuesday and Thursday in Central Park. Yes, regardless of how cold it is the night ride carries on. Dress warm and bring your asthma inhaler 'cause the speed rarely drops below 22 mph on the flats.

Museums, book stores, libraries, Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, movie theaters showing everything from obscure foreign films to the latest blockbusters.

A friend of mine who's an art professor just got permission to let me attend his live model drawing class free of charge once a week.

Nothing to complain about unless you have no interests to indulge in here in NYC.

If you can't proactively find joy in living wherever you are you'll be just as miserable under a palm tree as you would under 5 feet of snow.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well you can do the exact same things here in NYC without freezing your ass off

No one is bored and miserable, but I find it a bit more enjoyable when I don't have 5 layers of clothes.:)

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you can't proactively find joy in living wherever you are you'll be just as miserable under a palm tree as you would under 5 feet of snow.

That is absolutely true!!!!!

But I have a degree in 'Hating Cold Weather', so I have to use it

AE