Today i happily turn in my dr residency!!!!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Perhaps we have all reached a tipping point - I doubt if we will be here to renew again - just got 2 more years.
The new taxes make it less attractive also - another tipping point !

Happy New Year !!!

Olly

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
[h=3]Adult literacy classes start Monday[/h]
The goal is that by 2014 there should not be a single Dominican who is illiterate so that UNESCO may declare the Dominican Republic free of illiteracy.

Metro lines + Iiterate dominicans = 1st world country

The Dominican structure is more about "outside" appearance. And yeah, no one is really worried about foreigners complaining on high fees as long as they getting they cut. It saddens me

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
And trust me,there were several others who told me they would not run around town trying to get papers in order that they did initially AND pay 16,000 pesos.A Spaniard walked out moments before I did.Im sure we were not the only 2 this week to say see ya!!!

Dec 26, 2011
And trust me,there were several others who told me they would not run around town trying to get papers in order that they did initially AND pay 16,000 pesos.A Spaniard walked out moments before I did.Im sure we were not the only 2 this week to say see ya!!!

This is going to backfire on the geniuses that designed it.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Guzman's fees accounted for $(US)1,413 plus $(US)54 to wire the funds to a New York account as believe it or not our Mr Guzman's firm do not bank in their own country.

The remaining $(US)200 were for travel and accommodation costs involved in attending 08.30Hrs meetings at the Guzman offices.

That's a hell of a lot of money!:eek: for four years!

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
And not so long ago there was a movement led by the First-Lady - they were ASHAMED of high cases of HIV and had a program to eradicate the virus in a couple of months (in not a year and a half). And made no mention of obesity

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Guzman's fees accounted for $(US)1,413 plus $(US)54 to wire the funds to a New York account as believe it or not our Mr Guzman's firm do not bank in their own country.

The remaining $(US)200 were for travel and accommodation costs involved in attending 08.30Hrs meetings at the Guzman offices.

Questions for you, do you think it was worth it,or over priced.Are you satisfied with that law firm?

Would you renew again.

Last edited:

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
schhhhhtt

unless the overstay fee(4 years) is greater than the recidency fee (4 years)
I will not worry
you can still get health and car insurance
plus it seems to me that even with residency you are not 100 % treated like a local

so this may work for some people just fine
Manu

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I paid simply because I love living here and I do like to be legal but I am now seriously considering becoming a DR citizen. Unlike others here my country, Ireland, permits you to have as many as you wish and since there's never been an embassy/consulate here why I should I worry about their services.

What's good for me might not be the case for others.

It's still a helluva lot cheaper to live WELL here than Ireland.

Perhaps we have all reached a tipping point - I doubt if we will be here to renew again - just got 2 more years.
The new taxes make it less attractive also - another tipping point !

Happy New Year !!!

Olly

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm Sane!! :lick::lick::lick::bunny::bunny::bunny::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
That's how I know that paying $450 dollars for a USA "Green Card", is a whole lot better than paying 50 cents for a Dominican "Residencia"!
YES Bob, you DO get what you pay for!
That,s why everyone wants a "Green Card", only deranged Expats" want a "Cedula"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I think red tape in the DR is one of the biggest pet peeves for most foreigners that come from more "organized" countries. I shared a story on here a while back about buying a motorcycle and spending days traveling back and forth between the North coast, where I was living, and Santiago where I bought it. After several days in Santiago getting all the paperwork and paying for all the legalizations and certifications I finally made it to Nagua to try and register it, only to be told I was the lacking another "original" of the purchase contract, which of course was required to get the paperwork to take to Nagua. I was so frustrated I gave up at that point and just rode illegal until getting rid of the bike, just as most other gringos did.

I had to jump through hoops again over the last year in order to get paperwork to get my wife and son to the U.S. I don't even want to imagine how much in travel and fees for all the required copies, stamps, certifications and legalizations they make you get on every doc. And, of course, you have to travel to the capital , or Santiago, to get most of them.

I do miss much about the DR but my life is sooooo much easier these days, and it only took 10 short minutes to completely register the used car I bought and get my tags......ahhhh

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I would have to say "YES". Oh a change of staff delayed matters a little but I could find no fault in their service.

They paid all the government fees for the medical, good conduct and solvency declaration although I had to do the leg work to get the required certificates from my pension providers and banks. Oor own HB helped me out with the translation into Spanish of some of the documents.

Would I go through it again? I do not think so hence my looking at the DR citizenship.

I want to spend the rest of what time I have left here and I do want to remain legal though I do see the sense in what other posters are saying about paying penalties instead of abiding by the system.

It's up to the individual as to how he reacts to these changes but I do worry that the next step of these new rules which was not implemented and that is the applicant having to provide health insurance as a requisite for Permanent Residency. Another reason why I am considering the DR citizenship scenario as I am a recovering cancer patient.

Questions for you, do you think it was worth it,or over priced.Are you satisfied with that law firm?

Would you renew again.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The more I read this forum the more I am assured CC is the only foreigner with a brain..

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Would I go through it again? I do not think so hence my looking at the DR citizenship.

I want to spend the rest of what time I have left here and I do want to remain legal though I do see the sense in what other posters are saying about paying penalties instead of abiding by the system...

The revamping of the residency process is well under way and it appears even more changes are to come.

The discussion of the tourist visa penalties indicated that people who overstay tourist visas will be flagged and denied re-entry. If they are so far along in the overhaul of the residency process I thing it's safe to conclude they will overhaul the tourist visa process as they've indicated.

The revolving door in and out tourist visa system is coming to an end. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was said in previous discussions that legitimate tourists can come here twice or maybe three times a year for a specified period of two or three months or so.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I have recently completed the renewal of my Permanent Residency, the total cost was $(US)1,667.00 using the offices of Guzman Ariza, a well known subscriber to this board.

What, even the permanent residency needs to be renewed in DR? What's permanent about it then?