Today i happily turn in my dr residency!!!!

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For the avoidance of doubt there are no more 10 year residency permits. Your renewal was obviously done under the previous legislation.

Permanent Residency is now for a maximum of 4 years and is renewable only for 4 years at a time.

I spent less renewing with my layer for a 10 years residency, I'm got until 2020 !

carib

Jul 16, 2002
No the 10 year card is gone. Many people go through this new process and end up with a 2 year card instead of the promised 4 year card..........
carib

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Renewal of PR in the US is fairly simple..Pay the fee which you can do online and and fill out the application which u can do online also..wait for the fingerprint appointment..then after that wait for your new card in the mail..In 2010-2011 the cost for renewal was around $350-$400 more or less. And it is good for 10 years. To the OP I have been in the DR for awhile so I have citizenship but that was from way back when...If I had to do it again from the beginning based on what I am hearing and reading I am not sure I would. It is the law I understand and to live here we must do this or so they say. But the law also needs to be "user friendly".

beachbear

Nov 30, 2012
I left my home country several years ago to live in another (not DR, that will be later) and it always surpirised me how the natives thought the process was cheap and painless. What scares me about this topic is that the DR government want to keep changing the rules (or making them up as they go along and gouge for extra fees). Seemingly no two people expereince the same process, need the same forms and pay the same fees unless they alos pay a hefty amount in legal fees.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
True but this only happened to those who applied under the old legislation as you ndidn't get the option of a 10 year permit unless you had renewed at least 4 times.

The new Permanent Residency is the same for all ie 4 years but you have to complete the entire thing ie x-rays, medical, certificate of good conduct and certificate of solvency upon every renewal. However there are other requirements detailed in the legislation that have not yet been implemented and one of them is proof of Health Insurance. This could prove extremely difficult for some elderly ex-pats living here.

No doubt about it if you want to avoid all of this then renew and then go for Citizenship. No problems thereafter. The lawyers charge big time for this since it's the last bite of the cherry so to speak for them.

No the 10 year card is gone. Many people go through this new process and end up with a 2 year card instead of the promised 4 year card..........
carib

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I renewed my "permanent" residency for 4 years with two trips to the capital from the north coast on the 7th and the 18th of December. I made clear to my lawyer that due to age and ill health I'm unable to stand in bull$hyite lines and run hither and yon and in and out as the bureau-rat disorder requires. The lawyer provided an accurate presupuesto and took care of absolutely every little thing and I laid out the cash, $625 for the lawyer, ~$20 communications and ~$200 for transportation, hotel and meals. The lawyer brought the project in on time and within budget and with no ph#$g BS. I could not have been more satisfied.

I followed the tip given by Hillbilly in the thread on Changes to Permanent Residency Procedure (or whatever).

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For those wishing to stay legal I can honestly recommend this advice. I had committed to Guzman Ariza and I am a man of my word but I have met the lawyer recommended by Hillbilly and she is "quite simply the best"

I followed the tip given by Hillbilly in the thread on Changes to Permanent Residency Procedure (or whatever).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The card yes, but not the whole process with x-ray, medical etc. etc.

Unless it has changed, back in the day, before Mr. AE was given his US permanent green card he had to have a chest x-ray and undergo a battery of blood tests several weeks in advance. When he became a citizen, just a verbal and written test.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a friend of mine won green card in a lottery but before she was issued one she had to do a battery of tests and take several vaccinations against diseases she did not even know existed :)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
a friend of mine won green card in a lottery but before she was issued one she had to do a battery of tests and take several vaccinations against diseases she did not even know existed :)

I'm all against the new law. But I find it funny how people compare the PR card with the US green card, and even say the green card is easier to get. They simply forget that in the DR you just get off the plane as a tourist and go to inmigraci?n and apply for your residency. You can't apply for a US green card like that. There are much tougher prerequisites. Also, I don't think everybody wants a green card. And those who do it's just because they watched too much TV. Most of us who post here must agree with that in one way or another, even if we say otherwise.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Currently it a rusty Caddy. The point is almost no county lets you stay for free.

nobody is asking you to drive it. despite its problems, the USA is still the destination of choice for people in the world looking for an opportunity to get ahead. nobody is begging Canadians to go there. you don't like it, stay in Jarabacoa. Americans don't want you there, anyway.

BCharles

Jan 4, 2013
Indeed Barry is taking care of you! with a name like Colon in certain places, i.e. AZ, you better not leave home without your Cedula, otherwise you'll be thrown in jail with a threat of deportation until you can prove otherwise.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They simply forget that in the DR you just get off the plane as a tourist and go to inmigraci?n and apply for your residency.

What about having to return to your home country to get police "good conduct" doc and to go to the local DR embassy to get everything translated etc? It's not quite as simple as getting off the plane and deciding you want to stay legally.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What about having to return to your home country to get police "good conduct" doc and to go to the local DR embassy to get everything translated etc? It's not quite as simple as getting off the plane and deciding you want to stay legally.

I didn't say you don't need papers from back home. Of course you need papers. But those papers are available to anyone with "good conduct". Unfortunately for some, having "good conduct" is not enough to get a green card.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Latin Thinking?

criss colon, having discovered you writings has helped me to realize that i am sane. or, i may be crazy, whichever you are. i agree with you 100% about Dominicans taking 100 dollars today, in preference to 20 dollars for the rest of their lives. also, Dominican Economics 101...in lean times, raise your prices, and gouge the only customer you will get that week. criss, i am just trying to figure if i am crazy, or sane. which are you?

When I was in Mexico in low season I asked for a discount in a hotel.
He wanted to charge more, because there were fewer tourists.
He got noting which seemed preferable.
Many of them don't get the concept of saving and planing for the future.
Rip off now what you can get, is the motto!